Looking forward to my first bully!

jordanbommelje

Feb 27, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I've been wanting an English Bulldog for 10 years. I've got a friend that has always had them and I've been fortunate enough to dog sit for a week at a time, so I've understood a lot of the requirements for the breed. I recently applied and was approved for the next litter if they have at least four puppies for two mothers. So I've got a few questions!

How many puppies do mother's typically give birth to? Between two mothers, is it likely they will have four puppies?

What's a "getting started" kit for when they are available for me to bring home so I can start getting ready? I've had other pets, however this will be my first dog.

Should I be considering pet insurance? It looks like through work, I can get preventative care and accidental/illness/hereditary issues for $47/mo. Should I consider this?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

Puppy litters... i really have no experience, but I know they can have any number of puppies from 1 to 9 (that is what i have heard.

here is a great list to read through on what you should have in the house for a bulldog -- English Bulldog News Forums - 35 Things You should have if you own an English Bulldog

Insurance -- if you are going to get it, get it the day you purchase your puppy BEFORE you have your first vet visit. i do not have insurance, we just have a credit card that is only used for the pups emergencies.... I'd rather have that than pay another insurance company -- just my opinion. But, many here do have insurance and like it

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Can't comment on how many puppies they have but for insurance like Christine said if your going to get it get it the day you get your puppie before going to the vet, I myself had it but no longer I would just prefer to pay if needed as I did not get it straight away and FTSE developed cherry eye so neither eyes were covered he had a bath at the vets and got an irritation in his nose rope and they classed it as an infection so no skin infections were covered and he had a sore ear so his ears were not covered either all I was getting back was for his needles and paying up to I think about $900 a year so dropped out after three years.

Welcome to EBN I hope they have more than four puppies so you can get one.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Exciting prospects! Castor was one of I think six puppies plus a stillborn. You will of course need to read up on bulldogs before you get the pup but you need not buy much in advance. We only bought a bed and feeding bowls before we brought Castor home. It's like getting a baby - it's difficult to know what stuff you actually need and whether they will fit your pup and your life style. What we did was rather to remove things - we puppy proofed our home by rolling up rugs and removing things from the floors. The most important thing really is to secure you have enough time the first months. We got a few puppy toys but made a lot of disposable toys, like hiding kibble in empty paper rolls and empty bardboard boxes. Being close to him all the time we could supervise his play (I wouldn't leave a puppy alone with a cardboard box!).

Regarding insurance - read up on what's available and what is financially sound, and above all, make sure it caters for the needs of a bulldog. I'm not in the US so things may be very different from here, but we happen to have an insurance that covered two thirds of the costs when Castor had to have soft palate surgery (for breathing problems). I didn't know beforehand, so that was pure luck - some insurance companies here don't cover for that surgery in bulldogs. On the other hand, our insurance doesn't cover the costs of medicines, which might be a problem if Castor should need long-term medication in the future. I did read up a bit on insurances, but in hindsight, I should have contacted different companies and asked for a full specification and then compared them.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:smileywelcome: You have a lot of good questions. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] gave you some good advice. You'll find that the folks on here have a lot of experience with this breed. Don't hesitate to ask for help!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.