megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Haha, how funny! I lived in Chandler and Mesa then we moved to Shaftsbury, VT - the sticks! I'm originally from Buffalo, NY.

I moved to get my PhD from ASU then I started teaching there. We were there for 10 years, loved it, then came Baby #1 and then we got pregnant again and I had to be closer to family. Vermont is the closest we got and I had never set foot in the state until we moved here. It's, um, unique! :D I actually really love it but it's very rural.

I love rural :) I guess we are somewhat out in the sticks ourselves. We are in San Tan Valley. Some people haven't even heard of it lol. We lived in Chandler for a bit too! That must've been scary moving to a state you'd never been to before. Kudos to you! We go back to Mass every year around June/July to visit family. Family is so important isn't it? Even enough to battle the elements :D My son misses everyone very much :(

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I love rural :) I guess we are somewhat out in the sticks ourselves. We are in San Tan Valley. Some people haven't even heard of it lol. We lived in Chandler for a bit too! That must've been scary moving to a state you'd never been to before. Kudos to you! We go back to Mass every year around June/July to visit family. Family is so important isn't it? Even enough to battle the elements :D My son misses everyone very much :(

I didn't think I'd like rural...but I do! I realized, from living in Phoenix, most people have absolutely no consideration for the people living around them so now I call trees and rocks and grass and forest my neighbors! :D Much better...especially with a 7 month old and 2 year old. I like being able to go outside and not worry about barking dogs and blazing sun. Though we did have a run in with some fleas shortly after we moved in our house. THAT was fun.

But yes, I've seen more of my family in the past year than I had in the last 5 I was in Arizona, so it's worth it.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I didn't think I'd like rural...but I do! I realized, from living in Phoenix, most people have absolutely no consideration for the people living around them so now I call trees and rocks and grass and forest my neighbors! :D Much better...especially with a 7 month old and 2 year old. I like being able to go outside and not worry about barking dogs and blazing sun. Though we did have a run in with some fleas shortly after we moved in our house. THAT was fun.

But yes, I've seen more of my family in the past year than I had in the last 5 I was in Arizona, so it's worth it.

I'm hoping my husband will take an early retirement at 62 (he's 59) and we can head back to Mass then. But I don't know if I'll be able to talk him into it. He doesn't want to, but he might for our son's sake. :) And Mass is so expensive too, so VT might be an option!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'm hoping my husband will take an early retirement at 62 (he's 59) and we can head back to Mass then. But I don't know if I'll be able to talk him into it. He doesn't want to, but he might for our son's sake. :) And Mass is so expensive too, so VT might be an option!

Is VT cheaper? It was ALL sticker shock to us coming from AZ! The taxes here are insane! Though we looked at houses in NY as well as VT and MA and the New York taxes are just outrageous. It made Vermont seem like a bargain.

I don't know if you know where Shaftsbury is but we're about 12 miles from both the NY and MA borders...or as I like to say, in the middle of everything and nothing! :D

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Is VT cheaper? It was ALL sticker shock to us coming from AZ! The taxes here are insane! Though we looked at houses in NY as well as VT and MA and the New York taxes are just outrageous. It made Vermont seem like a bargain.

I don't know if you know where Shaftsbury is but we're about 12 miles from both the NY and MA borders...or as I like to say, in the middle of everything and nothing! :D

Well, VT is getting more expensive nowadays but less than Mass. Yah, taxes are nuts back east. We owned a home in Mass but now we rent, which I actually enjoy more.

I just looked on google maps, I didn't realize Shaftsbury was there, I thought it must've been in Northern VT. It actually seems like a great location....HAHA "in the middle of everything and nothing"! so funny...

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Just talked to the owner of moobear. i asked about how she is when he leaves for work and if she has seperation anxiety at all. he said "not at all, she'll sleep." - so as long as he's not lying...that's a good thing.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
There is something I am worried about though, that I (stupidly) didn't think of before...our pool. it's not fenced and I know Eng bulldogs SINk, not SWIM. Do you guys think this is a REALLY bad idea now? :( It gets really hot here in the summer as you probably know, so I was planning on getting her her own kiddie pool in the summer, but now I'm thinking about how I can't let her go out to the bathroom on her own or anything.
If the pool isnt fenced off Moobear will not be able to go outside alone. We have a big beautiful pond that is approx. 7ft deep and Brutus whom we have had since he is 8wks old was trained not to go near it ever. He paid it no attention. Now Frankie whom we resecued at the age of 2 tried to jump into it every chance he got. Now the entire pond and the underneath of our deck (because he could shimmy under the deck and get to the pond) is fenced off. I still never leave them outside alone just because god forbid he found a way to get under the fence he would drown in minutes.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
If the pool isnt fenced off Moobear will not be able to go outside alone. We have a big beautiful pond that is approx. 7ft deep and Brutus whom we have had since he is 8wks old was trained not to go near it ever. He paid it no attention. Now Frankie whom we resecued at the age of 2 tried to jump into it every chance he got. Now the entire pond and the underneath of our deck (because he could shimmy under the deck and get to the pond) is fenced off. I still never leave them outside alone just because god forbid he found a way to get under the fence he would drown in minutes.

thank you. you've made me realize how important it is to stay with moobear. she won't be out there alone...

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Any Moobear updates [MENTION=15395]megdav[/MENTION]

Good morning! :)

Well, the owner, Andrew, had told me that I only had to give his phone number to Banfield Hosp (located in Petsmart) and they could pull up all of Moobear's info. So I called them yesterday morning to do that, but they couldn't locate her under Andrew's name or phone number. So I texted Andrew and he said to try his x's name and he gave me two other phone numbers. None worked. Sooo I told him that Banfield said to give them a call and they'll work it out. I haven't heard back yet. I'm going to text him soon though and see.

What the story is right now is that I have given him $200 (this past Tues) and we met Moobear a 2nd time that day. I asked him if we could pay the rest and pick her up on Saturday. He said sure and to give him a call Saturday morning.

We'll see if I ever hear from him again! lol
Geez.

Meg

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Good morning! :)

Well, the owner, Andrew, had told me that I only had to give his phone number to Banfield Hosp (located in Petsmart) and they could pull up all of Moobear's info. So I called them yesterday morning to do that, but they couldn't locate her under Andrew's name or phone number. So I texted Andrew and he said to try his x's name and he gave me two other phone numbers. None worked. Sooo I told him that Banfield said to give them a call and they'll work it out. I haven't heard back yet. I'm going to text him soon though and see.

What the story is right now is that I have given him $200 (this past Tues) and we met Moobear a 2nd time that day. I asked him if we could pay the rest and pick her up on Saturday. He said sure and to give him a call Saturday morning.

We'll see if I ever hear from him again! lol
Geez.

Meg

Good work though! We took all of our bullies to Banfield and we really liked them...so hopefully Andrew isn't full of it. VERY odd that you cannot secure the vet records for Moobear. I would definitely not move forward until you get some answers on that. I know it's hard because you really like Moobear but you could be stepping into a situation that you really don't know anything about if she has an undisclosed medical issue - or has been treated for one - and, as you probably know, bulldogs are prone to a litany of health issues.

Did he say if she has any known health issues and what they are feeding her?

Also, because I'm nosy, do you have any Moobear pics?

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Good work though! We took all of our bullies to Banfield and we really liked them...so hopefully Andrew isn't full of it. VERY odd that you cannot secure the vet records for Moobear. I would definitely not move forward until you get some answers on that. I know it's hard because you really like Moobear but you could be stepping into a situation that you really don't know anything about if she has an undisclosed medical issue - or has been treated for one - and, as you probably know, bulldogs are prone to a litany of health issues.

Did he say if she has any known health issues and what they are feeding her?

Also, because I'm nosy, do you have any Moobear pics?

HAHA no, I don't have any pics yet because he took down the ad on Craigslist once I gave him the $200 (and before I thought to download them...oops). I didn't take any photos when we met her either. I'm slacking. I'm usually pretty good with photos :)

He said she is healthy and that he has been feeding her Beneful I think. Not sure that is the best food for her. Or maybe it is...any suggestions on that?

No, I definitely won't move forward until I get vet records.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.