megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hello everyone! You all seem like a great group :)

We are considering adopting a 5yo female bully named Moobear :yes:
We're supposed to meet the owner today and put down $200 towards the $500 he is asking. I found him on Craigslist (I know, scary), but he seems like a great guy (met him and Moobear last night). He seems to really love Moo and is only giving her up because he got a divorce and now there isn't anyone home with Moo during the day. He said he's been debating it for weeks and still wishes he could keep her, but doesn't feel it's fair to her.

Anyway, I'm nervous. Because 1. we have a cat (but he says she's lived with cats before and 2. we have a 19yo special needs son who doesn't like when dogs are jumpy/bouncy/running around (which is why I'm thinking a bulldog could be a good option). 3. what if it doesn't work out? I guess I will ask the owner today when I meet him if he would want her back to find a new adopter or what? I like to adopt from rescues that do "foster to adopt" where you have the dog for a week or two and THEN decide if it seems like a good fit or not...

Well, thanks for listening to my rambling. Just needed to get all that off my chest :D

Meg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hi and welcome to EBN. Can you have Moobear over to your house to meet your son? Is the dog trained at all not to jump? The idea that bulldogs are lazy is really a myth. I have two who are three and four and they are quite active. They do sleep but they are quite interactive with the family for most of the day and love to play. I think having your son interact with Moobear first is the key to this being sucessful.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Welcome! I just moved from AZ to VT (I know!) so please soak up that sun for me!

I would be VERY careful with this transaction. Bulldogs are expensive and people, even if they seem genuine, typically don't give them up for such a nominal cost, even in the most difficult circumstances - unless there is a medical problem or behavioral problem. I recommend you ask for all of Moobear's vet records and a note from the vet about her overall condition. I would also considering asking to have her checked out by your vet to make sure she's healthy. It would also give you the opportunity to get to know her a bit and see if she has any behavioral problems that you don't see yourself being able to tolerate or correct.

Moobear may be a great choice for your family but I wouldn't count on her not jumping and running so if those things really bother your son, you might want to think hard. It's true, bulldogs spend A LOT of time snoozing! But all of mine were prone - even in older age - to fits of energy and craziness, including jumping and being nutty!

The other thing I'm thinking with a 5 year old bulldog that he doesn't want to leave during the day is separation anxiety. I mean, I could easily leave our dogs during the day without feeling bad because they like to snooze but you want to make sure she's comfortable being at home alone (you're not going to be with her 24 hours a day under any circumstances) and see if she's crate trained. Separation anxiety, in my opinion, is one of the most difficult animal behaviors to overcome.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative! Moobear might be a great fit for you - just be sure to check everything out thoroughly before investing your money, and more importantly, your heart!

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
I agree with [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] the best bet is to have the bully over for an interaction visit.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Meg..... :welcome3: to EBN!

The gang has given you great advice....and I agree with their comments. best of luck to you and Moobear

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi and welcome to EBN. Can you have Moobear over to your house to meet your son? Is the dog trained at all not to jump? The idea that bulldogs are lazy is really a myth. I have two who are three and four and they are quite active. They do sleep but they are quite interactive with the family for most of the day and love to play. I think having your son interact with Moobear first is the key to this being sucessful.

My son met Moobear yesterday, but it was only in a parking lot for a few minutes. (Moobear's owner and I live about an hour from ea other so we met 1/2 way). My son seemed quite taken with her, but I am still hesitant. I don't want to have to rehome her :( I want to make sure this is right. I'm praying about it...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My son met Moobear yesterday, but it was only in a parking lot for a few minutes. (Moobear's owner and I live about an hour from ea other so we met 1/2 way). My son seemed quite taken with her, but I am still hesitant. I don't want to have to rehome her :( I want to make sure this is right. I'm praying about it...

How was Moo with your son? Did any jumping or over excitement happen?

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Welcome! I just moved from AZ to VT (I know!) so please soak up that sun for me!

I would be VERY careful with this transaction. Bulldogs are expensive and people, even if they seem genuine, typically don't give them up for such a nominal cost, even in the most difficult circumstances - unless there is a medical problem or behavioral problem. I recommend you ask for all of Moobear's vet records and a note from the vet about her overall condition. I would also considering asking to have her checked out by your vet to make sure she's healthy. It would also give you the opportunity to get to know her a bit and see if she has any behavioral problems that you don't see yourself being able to tolerate or correct.

Moobear may be a great choice for your family but I wouldn't count on her not jumping and running so if those things really bother your son, you might want to think hard. It's true, bulldogs spend A LOT of time snoozing! But all of mine were prone - even in older age - to fits of energy and craziness, including jumping and being nutty!

The other thing I'm thinking with a 5 year old bulldog that he doesn't want to leave during the day is separation anxiety. I mean, I could easily leave our dogs during the day without feeling bad because they like to snooze but you want to make sure she's comfortable being at home alone (you're not going to be with her 24 hours a day under any circumstances) and see if she's crate trained. Separation anxiety, in my opinion, is one of the most difficult animal behaviors to overcome.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative! Moobear might be a great fit for you - just be sure to check everything out thoroughly before investing your money, and more importantly, your heart!

Thank you for your opinion. Good things to think about. She doesnt seem to jump up, she didn't at all when we met her both times and we were standing most of the time. I should ask about seperation anxiety and hopefully he'll be honest with me. Yes, I can see how this could be a risky transaction. I will get vet records also. Thanks again.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
How was Moo with your son? Did any jumping or over excitement happen?

No, no jumping at all. And no over excitement. Moo would come over to our feet to be petted, but then she would look the other way at things going on. When I sat on the ground the first time I met her, she came over and licked my face, but then stopped. She seems pretty calm.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
There is something I am worried about though, that I (stupidly) didn't think of before...our pool. it's not fenced and I know Eng bulldogs SINk, not SWIM. Do you guys think this is a REALLY bad idea now? :( It gets really hot here in the summer as you probably know, so I was planning on getting her her own kiddie pool in the summer, but now I'm thinking about how I can't let her go out to the bathroom on her own or anything.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet

btw, I LOVE VT! We are originally from Massachusetts. Moved here 4+ years ago. I love it here, but I miss Mass (and family). Where were you in AZ and what made you move to VT?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
There is something I am worried about though, that I (stupidly) didn't think of before...our pool. it's not fenced and I know Eng bulldogs SINk, not SWIM. Do you guys think this is a REALLY bad idea now? :( It gets really hot here in the summer as you probably know, so I was planning on getting her her own kiddie pool in the summer, but now I'm thinking about how I can't let her go out to the bathroom on her own or anything.

It's something to think about.

We didn't have a pool in AZ but it's REALLY dangerous to let them out themselves in the heat because they like to sunbathe and overheat VERY quickly. I actually lost a bulldog to heat stroke in my own back yard. It was horrible.

Some bullies are good around water - and staying out of it - and some are attracted to it like children. It's hard to say but it's very important Moobear stays out of the pool unless she's with someone who can watch/hold her up. They are not good swimmers!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
btw, I LOVE VT! We are originally from Massachusetts. Moved here 4+ years ago. I love it here, but I miss Mass (and family). Where were you in AZ and what made you move to VT?

Haha, how funny! I lived in Chandler and Mesa then we moved to Shaftsbury, VT - the sticks! I'm originally from Buffalo, NY.

I moved to get my PhD from ASU then I started teaching there. We were there for 10 years, loved it, then came Baby #1 and then we got pregnant again and I had to be closer to family. Vermont is the closest we got and I had never set foot in the state until we moved here. It's, um, unique! :D I actually really love it but it's very rural.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Yah, I've heard about the overheating, esp in AZ! Much better off in the a/c.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.