Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hi from Arizona!

Quote Originally Posted by megdav View Post
    There is something I am worried about though, that I (stupidly) didn't think of before...our pool. it's not fenced and I know Eng bulldogs SINk, not SWIM. Do you guys think this is a REALLY bad idea now? It gets really hot here in the summer as you probably know, so I was planning on getting her her own kiddie pool in the summer, but now I'm thinking about how I can't let her go out to the bathroom on her own or anything.
    It's something to think about.

We didn't have a pool in AZ but it's REALLY dangerous to let them out themselves in the heat because they like to sunbathe and overheat VERY quickly. I actually lost a bulldog to heat stroke in my own back yard. It was horrible.

Some bullies are good around water - and staying out of it - and some are attracted to it like children. It's hard to say but it's very important Moobear stays out of the pool unless she's with someone who can watch/hold her up. They are not good swimmers!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

btw, I LOVE VT! We are originally from Massachusetts. Moved here 4+ years ago. I love it here, but I miss Mass (and family). Where were you in AZ and what made you move to VT?
    Haha, how funny! I lived in Chandler and Mesa then we moved to Shaftsbury, VT - the sticks! I'm originally from Buffalo, NY.

I moved to get my PhD from ASU then I started teaching there. We were there for 10 years, loved it, then came Baby #1 and then we got pregnant again and I had to be closer to family. Vermont is the closest we got and I had never set foot in the state until we moved here. It's, um, unique! I actually really love it but it's very rural.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Yah, I've heard about the overheating, esp in AZ! Much better off in the a/c.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Yah, I've heard about the overheating, esp in AZ! Much better off in the a/c.
    Here's a link to an article I wrote about losing my bulldog in the heat. I really had NO clue how fast it could happen. It wasn't on one of those 120 degree scorcher days either.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...-bulldogs-heat

Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    Haha, how funny! I lived in Chandler and Mesa then we moved to Shaftsbury, VT - the sticks! I'm originally from Buffalo, NY.

I moved to get my PhD from ASU then I started teaching there. We were there for 10 years, loved it, then came Baby #1 and then we got pregnant again and I had to be closer to family. Vermont is the closest we got and I had never set foot in the state until we moved here. It's, um, unique! I actually really love it but it's very rural.
    I love rural I guess we are somewhat out in the sticks ourselves. We are in San Tan Valley. Some people haven't even heard of it lol. We lived in Chandler for a bit too! That must've been scary moving to a state you'd never been to before. Kudos to you! We go back to Mass every year around June/July to visit family. Family is so important isn't it? Even enough to battle the elements My son misses everyone very much

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I love rural I guess we are somewhat out in the sticks ourselves. We are in San Tan Valley. Some people haven't even heard of it lol. We lived in Chandler for a bit too! That must've been scary moving to a state you'd never been to before. Kudos to you! We go back to Mass every year around June/July to visit family. Family is so important isn't it? Even enough to battle the elements My son misses everyone very much
    I didn't think I'd like rural...but I do! I realized, from living in Phoenix, most people have absolutely no consideration for the people living around them so now I call trees and rocks and grass and forest my neighbors! Much better...especially with a 7 month old and 2 year old. I like being able to go outside and not worry about barking dogs and blazing sun. Though we did have a run in with some fleas shortly after we moved in our house. THAT was fun.

But yes, I've seen more of my family in the past year than I had in the last 5 I was in Arizona, so it's worth it.

9. Likes 2BullyMama, Manydogs liked this post
    Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

I didn't think I'd like rural...but I do! I realized, from living in Phoenix, most people have absolutely no consideration for the people living around them so now I call trees and rocks and grass and forest my neighbors! Much better...especially with a 7 month old and 2 year old. I like being able to go outside and not worry about barking dogs and blazing sun. Though we did have a run in with some fleas shortly after we moved in our house. THAT was fun.

But yes, I've seen more of my family in the past year than I had in the last 5 I was in Arizona, so it's worth it.
    I'm hoping my husband will take an early retirement at 62 (he's 59) and we can head back to Mass then. But I don't know if I'll be able to talk him into it. He doesn't want to, but he might for our son's sake. And Mass is so expensive too, so VT might be an option!

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I'm hoping my husband will take an early retirement at 62 (he's 59) and we can head back to Mass then. But I don't know if I'll be able to talk him into it. He doesn't want to, but he might for our son's sake. And Mass is so expensive too, so VT might be an option!
    Is VT cheaper? It was ALL sticker shock to us coming from AZ! The taxes here are insane! Though we looked at houses in NY as well as VT and MA and the New York taxes are just outrageous. It made Vermont seem like a bargain.

I don't know if you know where Shaftsbury is but we're about 12 miles from both the NY and MA borders...or as I like to say, in the middle of everything and nothing!

Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Is VT cheaper? It was ALL sticker shock to us coming from AZ! The taxes here are insane! Though we looked at houses in NY as well as VT and MA and the New York taxes are just outrageous. It made Vermont seem like a bargain.

I don't know if you know where Shaftsbury is but we're about 12 miles from both the NY and MA borders...or as I like to say, in the middle of everything and nothing!
    Well, VT is getting more expensive nowadays but less than Mass. Yah, taxes are nuts back east. We owned a home in Mass but now we rent, which I actually enjoy more.

I just looked on google maps, I didn't realize Shaftsbury was there, I thought it must've been in Northern VT. It actually seems like a great location....HAHA "in the middle of everything and nothing"! so funny...

Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Just talked to the owner of moobear. i asked about how she is when he leaves for work and if she has seperation anxiety at all. he said "not at all, she'll sleep." - so as long as he's not lying...that's a good thing.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

There is something I am worried about though, that I (stupidly) didn't think of before...our pool. it's not fenced and I know Eng bulldogs SINk, not SWIM. Do you guys think this is a REALLY bad idea now? It gets really hot here in the summer as you probably know, so I was planning on getting her her own kiddie pool in the summer, but now I'm thinking about how I can't let her go out to the bathroom on her own or anything.
    If the pool isnt fenced off Moobear will not be able to go outside alone. We have a big beautiful pond that is approx. 7ft deep and Brutus whom we have had since he is 8wks old was trained not to go near it ever. He paid it no attention. Now Frankie whom we resecued at the age of 2 tried to jump into it every chance he got. Now the entire pond and the underneath of our deck (because he could shimmy under the deck and get to the pond) is fenced off. I still never leave them outside alone just because god forbid he found a way to get under the fence he would drown in minutes.
    My smooshy face boy!

15. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Here's a link to an article I wrote about losing my bulldog in the heat. I really had NO clue how fast it could happen. It wasn't on one of those 120 degree scorcher days either.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...-bulldogs-heat
    Thanks for this article. REally hits home I'm so sorry about Bentley. That must've been heartbreaking.

Meg

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Remove Ads