Just joined, interested in learning from others' experiences :)

Nate Altman

Jan 16, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obi Juan Kenobi
Hello and good morning everyone!

My name is Nate from Long Beach, CA and I received my bully from a breeder about 1 month ago. His name is "Obi Juan Kenobi". Obi is 18 weeks today and I love him more everyday!
IMG_1551.JPG
[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/_z_y4Nk3nkqQdZATMryK993Bf4SUgHmHReA0U0/?taken-by=neopelon21[/video]

I joined this forum to learn from and ask questions to other bully owners.

So yeah, having my Obi is really like raising a baby. I'm going to spoil him, cuddle him, chase him, scold him, love him. There are some issues that I am afraid that I unsure of though.
I have an appointment in less than two weeks to have my boy neutered. This is something I just feel needs to be done, I just am unsure of the right time to do it. I have a friend with a bully who insists my boy will not develop right at his age, and my partner feels that if we neuter him now he will not grow right. I was told to wait until he is around 2 to get this done to him, I am just afraid of bad habits or aggressiveness he may get if I wait. I don't want to stunt his growth if doing it this early will give him a hormonal imbalance, yet I do not want to put it off if he will pick up bad habits of excessive humping, aggressiveness, or health issues.

What is everyone else's imput? I know all dogs are different, but what is a good age to neuter my bully? Pros/Cons?

Thanks ahead everyone!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
:wave5::jumping::EBNwelcome::jumping::wave5: hi Nate and Obi!! Obi is super adorabull. Personally I think you should hold off a bit longer to get him neutered, a few different vets I've gone to have said anywhere between 6 to 8 months, mine was done at 8 without any complications.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN and the wonderful world of Bulldogs!!

Obi is adorable! I would hold off on neuter till at least 8 months if age

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
What a handsome, gorgeous boy! Congratulations!

I agree, wait a bit longer to have him neutered.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I would wait on the neuter, my Wally is almost 2 and I haven't done it yet.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
:welcome4:

Welcome to EBN Obi Juan and Nate. Jewel and Bentley say hello.

Please peruse the sight as there are many articles that may help with your questions and give you answers. Or you can post your question and I am sure one of us will chime in and provide advice, suggestions, moral support, etc. You are never alone here at the forum.

Again, welcome and enjoy the site. --rj

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I'm new to dogs let alone Bulldogs so when George started getting very frustrated I decided to ask the vet to neuter him (he 6 months at the time) he point blank refused and said that the dogs growth plates would not be developed enough yet for the weight Bulldogs carry particularly males. He recommended 8 months to us. We have slight aggression issues but we have worked out that these are actually a communication method not that he actually wants to bite us, and it's usually that he is very tired and wants to be put to bed in his crate ( he is like a child won't go in by himself), also he doesn't hump anything he just sits and raises his hind legs slightly off the floor and barks ( a very annoying bark ) while he bobs around the floor lasts about 5 mins or so.
Your Obi is really beautiful. Just make sure you have lots of money put aside for toys a toy lasts maybe a few hours here then it's so badly destroyed has to go in the bin but then they look at you with those eyes and you melt.
Good luck with everything.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome3: [MENTION=15342]Nate Altman[/MENTION] I believe that your Obi is too young to be castrated. I have females, but they were spayed at one year of age. As stated above, I would wait until at least 8 months/one year before having him done. As for bad habits, he needs to be taught what is allowed, and what is not. Best of luck with your handsome boy! This is the best place to come,if you have questions!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Hi Nate welcome to EBN
I am with most here and would wait till 8 months , Make sure you have a good vet , there are lots of Peeps here in the same state as you that have great Bully Vets in your area I am sure , Bulldogs are a special breed that need knowledgeable vets that know Bulldogs , I might sound a bit like a snob but there are some vets that operate like a factory and its the bottom line there more interested in then the Bully and or the owner .
Great to have you join you will love it tons of Bully owners tons of advice and as your one also I am sure you can help out with advice also , We love PICS here not that Bullies are photogenic of coarse lol
hope to see more of your Obi TC
Nat

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.