Winnifred from Northern Virginia

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Welcome!!! I'm a new owner too. I've had my babies for 5 months now- I'm STILL catching myself looking stuff up and asking for advice!

She's absolutely beautiful!!!! Give her lots of kisses from us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
:hiii::peekaboo::welcome: What a cute baby, glad you found the site a magical place where everyone truly cares and has so much to offer from advice, cute funny stories, comfort and support. Bullies are most definitely a breed onto their own as I am still learning but LOVE it.
So quick advice - pet insurance ? do you know what a tail pocket is ? what food are you on ? have you heard about the shark phase ? all the answers and so much more here never be afraid to ask. Oh they and I adore pictures of our bullies so please post whenever you can. I would say enjoy your new life but how could you not so - be good for one another look forward to your future postings and watching your little girl grow up and the tales you tell. :yes:

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Oh my goodness what a precious little beauty she is!!!! She will be a joy to watch grow. :luv:

OP
J

jdblodgett

Dec 7, 2015
Northern Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnefred "Winni" "Da Poh"
:hiii::peekaboo::welcome: What a cute baby, glad you found the site a magical place where everyone truly cares and has so much to offer from advice, cute funny stories, comfort and support. Bullies are most definitely a breed onto their own as I am still learning but LOVE it.
So quick advice - pet insurance ? do you know what a tail pocket is ? what food are you on ? have you heard about the shark phase ? all the answers and so much more here never be afraid to ask. Oh they and I adore pictures of our bullies so please post whenever you can. I would say enjoy your new life but how could you not so - be good for one another look forward to your future postings and watching your little girl grow up and the tales you tell. :yes:

Thanks for the advice...still looking into the insurance, read a couple threads on that already. Familiar with the tail pocket and i am giving here a good wipe down top to bottom with the malacetic wipes, she was getting yeast around her vulva and lower tummy and that has all cleaned up now. We are feeding Acana Singles Duck and yam i think. Shark Phase....we call it Zombie Dog at this house, but yeah its a puppy thing. I am familiar with this one and training wife and daughter for it. They have a bad habit of screaming and it makes it worse and allows the dog to dominate them. 2 family meetings down on this topic, they are learning to be the pack leader. Working well and for the bad nights she is crated with a hug a kiss and a treat so as not to cause negative association with the crate.

She is a pistol...the insurance and health concerns are my biggest challenge. I have the lemon juice stocked, benadryl, and just got her some snout chapstick to keep her nice and soft. The malacetic wipes are helping with the yeast control. She had a pretty bad outbreak when we picked her up and we didn't know what it was. Now we know. I have antifungal-bacterial shampoo and conditioner.

Need to figure out the teeth cleaning. I have only ever had luck with one dog in my life and the rest had to get by with dental toys and bones. If i get my hands in her mouth it seems to trigger the Zombie Dog.

OP
J

jdblodgett

Dec 7, 2015
Northern Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh yeah and the other thing was the nail trimming. Her dang nails are white as white can be and you can barely see any quick in there. Gets really hard when she is jumping around or going into Zombie mode. Saw someone else was clipping and using a dremel to file them down. ...Dang good reason to buy another tool. I always wanted a dremel.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Oh yeah and the other thing was the nail trimming. Her dang nails are white as white can be and you can barely see any quick in there. Gets really hard when she is jumping around or going into Zombie mode. Saw someone else was clipping and using a dremel to file them down. ...Dang good reason to buy another tool. I always wanted a dremel.

Bella's nails grow so fast. I just cut them this morning. When I do it, I have to put her in my puppy version of a half nelson. :D She thinks it's play time.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
[MENTION=15169]jdblodgett[/MENTION], sounds like you are doing great with Winni! I have pet insurance for all 3 of my dogs and the jury is still out on whether it is worth it. I pay about $46 a month for Winnie through VPI. I would just strongly recommend that you get it right away while she is a puppy. If she gets sick at all, the insurance company will exclude that condition. Be sure you are aware of all the exclusions. My policy doesn't pay for any type of parasite treatment and Winnie was treated for Demodex mange (not a big expense though). However, she has had a couple of trips to Emergency for swallowing stuff. The first trip was wholly reimbursed, except for my annual $100 deductible. The last trip $800 will be completely reimbursed. So I guess, so far, it has paid for itself.

OP
J

jdblodgett

Dec 7, 2015
Northern Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Pet insurance was a must. Got Trupanion back in December after her nose surgery. Her breathing has been much different since the nose surgery and glad we had it done. I did read up on the tail pocket and make sure to take care of it at least every other night, no problems as of yet when she gets her wipe downs with the malacetic wipes.

I had her on Acana Singles both Duck and Lamb variations initially and she was doing good. Recently switched her to Acana Pacifica as I saw others raving about it, but not having good experience. PH seems off, yeast is coming back on her girl parts and lower belly, and her breath is super fishy and disgusting. Gonna switch back to the duck and yam. She is getting Apple Cider Vinegar every meal and strangely seems to love it and it slows her down when she is eating, so no more choking like before. We had a bad choking incident. :( Daily treats consist of frozen green beans, and an apple i share with her every lunch, we both love granny smith apples and since I work at home it gives us something to do at lunch. When it is desert time after dinner she gets plain yogurt.

OP
J

jdblodgett

Dec 7, 2015
Northern Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15169]jdblodgett[/MENTION], sounds like you are doing great with Winni! I have pet insurance for all 3 of my dogs and the jury is still out on whether it is worth it. I pay about $46 a month for Winnie through VPI. I would just strongly recommend that you get it right away while she is a puppy. If she gets sick at all, the insurance company will exclude that condition. Be sure you are aware of all the exclusions. My policy doesn't pay for any type of parasite treatment and Winnie was treated for Demodex mange (not a big expense though). However, she has had a couple of trips to Emergency for swallowing stuff. The first trip was wholly reimbursed, except for my annual $100 deductible. The last trip $800 will be completely reimbursed. So I guess, so far, it has paid for itself.

On it already...I have trupanion with a low deductible. I am about $65 a month. I figured I would go with the low deductible now while she is a puppy and move up later when she gets a little more sense to not to do silly things and slows down.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.