Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Hello everyone,
I have a 5 month old English Bulldog and have some issues as I have never owned a dog before so it's all new to me and very daunting at the moment as I feel a little housebound. Hope I can get some good advice off you guys out there.;);)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Welcome to EBN! This is a great place to get all your questions answered. George is a real cutie!

I know now the feeling you are describing. To me, it's like the "baby blues." I get it every time I get a new puppy. I LOVE puppies, but part of me is thinking, "What have I gotten myself into here?" and "Will I ever be able to go anywhere again?" You will adjust and George will get easier as he gets older. Then you will be so glad you have him and you'll wonder how you ever lived without him! Just hang in there and enjoy his being a puppy--it doesn't last long!

Is he crate trained? It will help to be able to crate him when you leave the house.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Thanks Donnam,
Yes he sleeps in a crate all night without any problems from around 9.30/10pm till 11am (with a bathroom break at 6.30) but after he gets up at 11am he will not go back in the crate for anything and freaks out if i close it and he happens to be in there. He naps in the sitting room a bit but no way will he be crated for me to go anywhere :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

We can definitely help.... many have been there and can answer any question you have about you new little man!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Thanks Donnam,
Yes he sleeps in a crate all night without any problems from around 9.30/10pm till 11am (with a bathroom break at 6.30) but after he gets up at 11am he will not go back in the crate for anything and freaks out if i close it and he happens to be in there. He naps in the sitting room a bit but no way will he be crated for me to go anywhere :(

You might get him one of those black rubber Kongs. You can stuff those with treats, peanut butter, yogurt, whatever treats he likes and are healthy. Then put it in the freezer--they last a lot longer when they're frozen. Try giving it to him several times during the day while you are there first to establish the crate as a great place to go during the day (not several times in one day--you don't want him to get fat!). Then, you can give him one and go out for a short while.

You our also might try getting up and out of the crate a little earlier than 11:00 a.m. Try taking him for a walk before you crate him so that he's tired.

You can also do some crate training with plain old treats. Just give him a treat when he goes in the crate and leave him for a short time.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
He goes out to the bathroom at 6.30 I have to leave at 6.45 for work and then the earliest I am home is 11 for my lunch so it's impossible to get him out for a walk before 2pm.
Thanks for the suggestions I have kongs in the freezer at the moment :tongue:

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I've also been told not to walk him too much a 10 min walk a day was as much as he should have so young I was told by 2 trainers

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
I've also been told not to walk him too much a 10 min walk a day was as much as he should have so young I was told by 2 trainers
[MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION] I had and have a similar situation with Charlotte so I tried two things that instill currently do. 1. I do long walks and sometimes especially when I had to get back to work, I play ball with her and make sure she gets tired before returning her to crate. 2. I felt bad that she may not want to stay in her crate, so I surrounded crate with a baby gate and leave crate door open. Works for us

the stuffed kongs too!

***warning though- she would try to push and eat her way through baby gate so I outsmarted her and tied gate to the crate HA!.

Hope this helps good luck

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Thanks Sara, yeah I think the stuffed kongs are my next option. I have that playpen thing but it is in use in another room to stop George eating my washing it will also be guarding my Christmas tree in a few weeks.
Your baby is very cute.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Welcome Olive and George!!! I know how you feel, I had dogs growing up but Murray is my first puppy as an adult on my own and my first English bulldog. It can definitely be overwhelming at times but once you establish a routine it will get better! There are ton of wonderful people on this site that have been very helpful to me and I know they will be to you too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online