Gomer9855

Sep 28, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hello! My name is Jen and I'll be caring for my friends bulldogs while she and her husband go through some serious medical issues. I predict to have them at least six months. They're littermate sisters, Pepper and Penny, two years old. I have dogs of my own, rottweilers and boston terriers and haven't really had any interaction with bulldogs before.

I came to this forum to find out some health information as both of these girls appear to have serious allergy issues. Pepper is much worse off in this regard, though both are affected. Pepper has swollen red/balding feet, greasy coat with hair loss and goopey eyes. And they both smell and shed like crazy. Their owner has had them to many vets many times and the result of this was a prescription for vanectyl p and the last vet telling her they're 'an unhealthy breed with almost non existent immune systems'. So basically, they're unhealthy and live with it. That seems ridiculous to me.

I feed my dogs raw and have for eleven years. Currently the bulldogs are eating Kirkland Salmon Kirkland Signature Pet Food and Pet Supplies > Natures Domain Brand

I would like to feed them raw as well, but I didn't find many people on here that do? Or I didn't look hard enough. I feed chicken, beef mix, green tripe, bone broth and white fish fillets. I see the favoured kibble here is Fromm. I can put them on that as well if it'll help.

I am ordering a gallon of Chlorhexidine solution off amazon to help their skin. Is there anything else I should add before completing the order? They're both overweight and Pepper has breathing issues. I live in the country and run all my dogs in the woods an hour a day. I'm assuming the bulldogs aren't likely to be able to join them?

They're wonderful, happy, sweet lively girls and I would really like to take them time I have them to figure out what works to keep their allergies down and spirits bright, so when they go back to their owner they're all happier.

penny and pepper.jpg

Thank you!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Someone with more experience will come along soon to help you I'm sure. I just wanted to say that you sound loving and obsessive, much like all of us here. I'm sure you'll fit in perfectly. How wonderful you are to take them in and do your best to care for them. You're a good friend, very kind. Good luck. I am worried about one thing. I'm not sure you'll be able to give them back after 6 months! They're so loving and great to have around!

i just thought to mention that I've looked at Kirkland food. It is a good price for the quality that it is but its not a fantastic food in my opinion. When I became unable to work I had to change to a less expensive food. I tried to talk myself into the Costco Kirkland brand food, and salmon would have been my choice. However, it wasn't up to the standards I was looking for. I did find that Taste of the Wild pacific salmon is a pretty good food and at a cost I could handle. I had been feeding orijen 6fish and I find it to be excellent. I don't have the ability to feed raw. It's awesome that you do.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@Gomer9855

Hi Jen! Welcome, and let me start off by saying you are one amazing friend to take in these babies for them temporarily, and not only that, but seek out ways to improve their health. Kudos to you!

Food with bullies is a never ending battle. We've had to try dozens of foods for Tyson who also suffers big time from allergies. My best advice would be to do an elimination diet, introducing only a single protein at a time, to see how they respond. I'd try to stay away from potatoes too. I noticed the Kirklands food is full of them. Raw is great, we had Tyson on raw for some time as well, and he did fantastic on it, until the company (Stella & Chewys) had a Listeria recall, and he got sick :( We now are feeding him The Honest Kitchen. We chose one of their bases, and are adding in our own protein, he seems to be doing great so far. Its definitely something that will require work, but you will find something that at least keeps them under control allergy wise.

I would get them on a probitoic as well. It can be pill form, or even just some plain jane greek yogurt. For cleaning, witch hazel is wonderful for daily use. We use free of everything baby wipes or cotton balls, and witch hazel for face folds, booty, paws, legs, bellies. A quick wipe down after coming in from outside helps ALOT for their allergies.

I would highly advise against the hour a day outside. Bulldogs do not handle heat well, they will definitely need their AC, and limited time outside. They also don't know that they can't handle it, so they will try and insist on staying out there. Watch their breathing, if you start to hear the heavy panting, excessive drool, etc, its time to come in, and get some water.

Again, you are an awesome friend, I am excited to see how these sweet girls thrive with you! Keep us posted on their progress, and we love pics around here :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow! Jessica's got you covered, you are a true friend to care for them like that :yes:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Jen and Welcome to EBN. I would like to echo the above members and say you are a very kind friend to take in Pepper and Penny. Please look at the various articles here on the forum as there is a wealth of information regarding bullies. Remember you are not alone here at the forum. If you have questions or concerns, there will be someone here to answer and/or address your questions or concerns you have about Pepper and Penny.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Welcome! I echo what's said above, you have such a kind, giving heart. I'm excited to see more of the girls!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi and welcome! To echo other fellow members, you're such an amazing friend and absolutely lucky to have the chance in taking care of the two cuties.

I feed my boys raw, particularly the whole prey variety. They both had uncontrollable allergies and once they switched, both healed immediately. They now only have seasonal allergies in the late summer/early fall. But the symptoms are not as drastic as when they were with a kibble diet.

As for the walks, they tend to overheat easily, and you need to ensure that the weather is appropriate. For instance, yesterday we were at a dog festival for a couple of hours and it was 23 degrees celcius. We had to stay in the shade sometimes and we regularly offered water. Even soaked their bellies in cold water a couple of times.

ccbulldog

Sep 22, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
It's so good of you to care for these lucky dogs :yes: I think the raw food will be great for these babies. Hopefully you will be able to get a handle on their allergies, and the shedding. Good luck!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Welcome to EBN. Jessica has you covered as far as advice goes. Good luck.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Glad you found this site. Plenty of helping hand to chime in.

Those bullies are beautiful. Kudos for taking care of them. This kindness will come back 10 folds.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
What a Great Friend you are for helping out with these two Beautiful Sisters. Welcome to EBN.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN! What a wonderful thing you are doing for all of them..... I say go for it and switch them to raw, if you are already on a schedule and hndling it for your pack, blend the sisters into it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, switch them to raw, best thing for them & easier on you, I would think ;)
Please keep us updated on these pretty & sweet girls, bulldogs are very different,
there's a learning curve for sure! God bless you to do this, you are a TRUE friend
and wonderful example to all of us.

Y'all learn much from the articles under the Forums. Until they lose some weight,
I'd be careful about outdoor activity, bulldogs are known for so many breathing
issues and from many causes, smooshed faces, narrow nostrils, elongated pallets,
narrow windpipes, etc.

brianhoostal

May 24, 2015
NE Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sobaka
Wow! What a true friend. Welcome aboard

Hello! My name is Jen and I'll be caring for my friends bulldogs while she and her husband go through some serious medical issues. I predict to have them at least six months. They're littermate sisters, Pepper and Penny, two years old. I have dogs of my own, rottweilers and boston terriers and haven't really had any interaction with bulldogs before.

I came to this forum to find out some health information as both of these girls appear to have serious allergy issues. Pepper is much worse off in this regard, though both are affected. Pepper has swollen red/balding feet, greasy coat with hair loss and goopey eyes. And they both smell and shed like crazy. Their owner has had them to many vets many times and the result of this was a prescription for vanectyl p and the last vet telling her they're 'an unhealthy breed with almost non existent immune systems'. So basically, they're unhealthy and live with it. That seems ridiculous to me.

I feed my dogs raw and have for eleven years. Currently the bulldogs are eating Kirkland Salmon Kirkland Signature Pet Food and Pet Supplies > Natures Domain Brand

I would like to feed them raw as well, but I didn't find many people on here that do? Or I didn't look hard enough. I feed chicken, beef mix, green tripe, bone broth and white fish fillets. I see the favoured kibble here is Fromm. I can put them on that as well if it'll help.

I am ordering a gallon of Chlorhexidine solution off amazon to help their skin. Is there anything else I should add before completing the order? They're both overweight and Pepper has breathing issues. I live in the country and run all my dogs in the woods an hour a day. I'm assuming the bulldogs aren't likely to be able to join them?

They're wonderful, happy, sweet lively girls and I would really like to take them time I have them to figure out what works to keep their allergies down and spirits bright, so when they go back to their owner they're all happier.

View attachment 91641

Thank you!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online