Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Temporary Bulldog mom

to EBN! What a wonderful thing you are doing for all of them..... I say go for it and switch them to raw, if you are already on a schedule and hndling it for your pack, blend the sisters into it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

2. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Yes, switch them to raw, best thing for them & easier on you, I would think
    Please keep us updated on these pretty & sweet girls, bulldogs are very different,
    there's a learning curve for sure! God bless you to do this, you are a TRUE friend
    and wonderful example to all of us.

Y'all learn much from the articles under the Forums. Until they lose some weight,
    I'd be careful about outdoor activity, bulldogs are known for so many breathing
    issues and from many causes, smooshed faces, narrow nostrils, elongated pallets,
    narrow windpipes, etc.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member brianhoostal's Avatar
    Real Name
    Brian
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sobaka
    Likes (Received)

Wow! What a true friend. Welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer9855 View Post
    Hello! My name is Jen and I'll be caring for my friends bulldogs while she and her husband go through some serious medical issues. I predict to have them at least six months. They're littermate sisters, Pepper and Penny, two years old. I have dogs of my own, rottweilers and boston terriers and haven't really had any interaction with bulldogs before.

I came to this forum to find out some health information as both of these girls appear to have serious allergy issues. Pepper is much worse off in this regard, though both are affected. Pepper has swollen red/balding feet, greasy coat with hair loss and goopey eyes. And they both smell and shed like crazy. Their owner has had them to many vets many times and the result of this was a prescription for vanectyl p and the last vet telling her they're 'an unhealthy breed with almost non existent immune systems'. So basically, they're unhealthy and live with it. That seems ridiculous to me.

I feed my dogs raw and have for eleven years. Currently the bulldogs are eating Kirkland Salmon Kirkland Signature Pet Food and Pet Supplies > Natures Domain Brand

I would like to feed them raw as well, but I didn't find many people on here that do? Or I didn't look hard enough. I feed chicken, beef mix, green tripe, bone broth and white fish fillets. I see the favoured kibble here is Fromm. I can put them on that as well if it'll help.

I am ordering a gallon of Chlorhexidine solution off amazon to help their skin. Is there anything else I should add before completing the order? They're both overweight and Pepper has breathing issues. I live in the country and run all my dogs in the woods an hour a day. I'm assuming the bulldogs aren't likely to be able to join them?

They're wonderful, happy, sweet lively girls and I would really like to take them time I have them to figure out what works to keep their allergies down and spirits bright, so when they go back to their owner they're all happier.

Attachment 91641

Thank you!

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the welcome! I picked the ladies up yesterday afternoon from the breeder, who had been looking after them for a few weeks. Penny has a mildly low thyroid and is very fat, I'll get her meds tomorrow. She has bald patches on her sides which will hopefully clear up with her meds. Allergy wise they don't seem too bad at the moment, I gave them thorough baths last night. I need to clean their nose ropes once I get some witch hazel. I put Pepper on benedryl twice a day to try and clear up the bit of goopey eyes and foot licking. They didn't come with food so I started then right on the raw. Tripe last night and chicken this morning. No poop issues so far, which was a blessing to come home to after work, hahah. I've introduced them to a couple of my dogs and they were pretty uninterested, which is great.

I'll try and attach a couple pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -tmp_6079-img_20150929_193127207247361-jpg   -tmp_6079-img_20150929_1931591407823057-jpg   -tmp_6079-img_20150929_1932171456614595-jpg  

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

They're beautiful! Hopefully the raw will fix all or most of the issues. Such a relief that they transitioned well. I'm sure they'll be rough housing with your other pups soon once they get more comfortable.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hi Jen.
    They're beautiful! I wouldn't be able to give them back, you're one special person! The pictures look great to me, their teeth and coloring look awesome. I'm sorry to hear about your friends! I couldn't imagine being sick, having a sick husband AND being away from my baby all at once. They're lucky to have you. I hope they are able to continue w/the Raw feedings once they go back…keep posting pics, they're absolutely gorgeous!

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads