Newbie here! new owners of not 1 but 2 female litter mate English bulldogs..

tammilynn

Sep 25, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Freyja and Zuri
Hello! Everyone... My name is Tammi and I am from Wisconsin. 1 week ago we brought home 2 adorable female litter mate Bulldogs.. Their names are Zuri and Freyja (Fray ya) ... We just couldn't decide on 1 :) I posted a thread on here also looking for info and helpful tips on raising litter mates as I didn't care for what google was saying so I am looking for people that have actually done this. Anyway.. this is our first family pet (besides pets growing up) My husband and I have 4 kids (lots to help with poop pick up, right?! I wish)
Happy Friday :)

OP
T

tammilynn

Sep 25, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Freyja and Zuri
12006267_10207527770209210_5400438018475008270_n.jpg

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
i had to take a second look. The one with the white coat appears to have a blanket. Are my eyes fooling me?

Precious pic and welcome to EBN.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
They are both so precious! I don't have experience with littermates, but I know some here have and will respond. Welcome to EBN and congratulations on your new girls!

OP
T

tammilynn

Sep 25, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Freyja and Zuri
haha! There's no blanket 12046927_10207564746573596_6583110344155521838_n.jpg

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
oh man, they're gorgeous. they have almost the same face too. can totally tell they're sisters.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hello! Everyone... My name is Tammi and I am from Wisconsin. 1 week ago we brought home 2 adorable female litter mate Bulldogs.. Their names are Zuri and Freyja (Fray ya) ... We just couldn't decide on 1 :) I posted a thread on here also looking for info and helpful tips on raising litter mates as I didn't care for what google was saying so I am looking for people that have actually done this. Anyway.. this is our first family pet (besides pets growing up) My husband and I have 4 kids (lots to help with poop pick up, right?! I wish)

Hi, Congratulations on your new babies, they are so adorable. Love them.

I also have siblings who are litter mates. I have a male named Bulldozer and a female named Blossom. It is the first time I've owned two dogs at once. I hadn't planned on two, but my hubby fell in love with Bulldozers sister when we went to see him, and he couldn't leave her behind. I wouldn't trade them for the world now, and there really isn't any more work with two of them together. They are good company and p,at ages for each other. There is a little more work with training when they are puppies, but only for the first 4 to 5 months. The best thing to do is get them both on a schedule, the rule of thumb for training puppies is they can hold their bladders for 1 hour for every month of age, so by 5 months old, they should be able to hold for 6 or more hours. For the first month take them out every hour and after they play or get excited, and after they eat. Increase the time by 1 hour each month until they are about 5 months old. I used to set my cell phone alarm for 2:00 am and take them out, because a puppy can't hold its bladder all night, it's too long. After 5 months, I didn't have to do this anymore and they were fully trained.

This is is the schedule I used and what worked for me:

6:00/6:30 am. Go out for potty and then feed them
Take them out every 1 to 2 hours during the day

1:00 pm. Feed them again and continue to take them out every 1 to 2 hours

6:00/6:30 pm Feed them dinner and continue to take them out every 1 to 2 hours until
10:00/11:00 pm for their last potty break of the day.

2:00 am. Set your alarm clock or cell phone for 2:00 am and take them out for a potty
break.

6:00 am. Start all over again.

Once they they are trained at around 5 months, we switched to this schedule and we still use it:

6:30 am. Take them out for their first potty of the day and then feed them

10:00 am. Out for a potty break

2:00/3:00 pm. Out for a potty break

6:30 pm. Feed them Dinner

7:00/8:00pm. We go for a long walk on the trail, or around the block

10:00/11:00 pm. Out for a last Potty break.

OP
T

tammilynn

Sep 25, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Freyja and Zuri
This is beyond helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write all that out :) Are they in separate crates but same room? When the were real little did the play fight with each other ... These two girls are good but they will get wrestling around with each other then bite and pull on each others years etc.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny

Hi!! Welcome!! I'm also pretty new to the bulldog world- but I do have boy/girl litter mates. They are Lockjaw and Penny. We originally got Lockjaw first (7 was old)Then 6 weeks later went back and got Penny. SCHEDULES are everything! With our boy he potty trained much easier than Penny. Although- i think if we had gotten Penny initially then it wouldn't have been a problem. As much as I loved our breeder- they didn't do much when it came to potty training and she was in a raised kennel. Lockjaw seems to need to go out more frequently (he likes to mark things), but Penny I've noticed can go much longer in between potty breaks. Our biggest obstacle with her was preventing her from popping in her kennel. NONE of the "by the book" rules worked when it came to that. We just had to get her on our schedule. I also woke up at 1:30 am for a week- but then when I noticed she was still sound asleep when I would come downstairs I slowly stopped doing those wake-up calls. Their schedule is up at 5am to eat /potty/play. We have work and school. So try get let out again @3, 5pm eat, 9/930 bed time. I did end up bell training my babies to go to the door bc they wouldn't bark. Just stand at the door like I have ESP. They caught onto that in about 2 days!

They "ruff" play ALL OF THE TIME! Sometimes when it gets too rough, we seperate them for a little time out. We don't scold them, just "ok, guys- that's enough".

We have them seperate when sleeping. Penny in the kennel and Lockjaw in the x-pen.

But the most important thing is a SCHEDULE!! Consistency will make your life so much better!
Like your family, they are our first family pets and our first Bulldogs on top
Of that. I wouldn't say it's soooooooo much more work with 2, but it's a little more work. We have 2 girls as well that help out a lot. But I've noticed the puppies don't listen as well to hem as they do with my husband and me.

Good luck and you are going to be so glad you got them both. They do meepneachother occupied- love to bug one another, but love each other at he same time. Ours are almost 5 months now and are progressing really well!! Your going to have lots of wonderful times ahead!

image.jpeg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have always had several dogs at a time. I personally think that having two pups saves you from a lot of puppy bites, as they play with each other and get most of the exercise with each other. Sometimes they do play very rough,and occasionally when it gets out of hand,they need a time out!! The only thing that I do miss is the closer bond of one on one with your dog. Two together are so cute and there will be a lot of laughs! [MENTION=14853]tammilynn[/MENTION] Once they are grown up, you will miss having puppies!
Sometimes, when they are not yet potty trained, you take them out seperately until they do their business,so they get to it instead of playing. Once they go, then you can let them out together. I found that worked better for me. Enjoy your babies!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
the closest thing i have come to litter mates are just mommy and daughter.. they play alot together and never really fight much unless food is around.. in fact my gucci is afraid of storms so she will sleep with her mommy everytime if its storming out.. your girls are very cute.. keep pictures coming..almost forgot.. the poop help won't change.. you never get help with that.. lol..