Tips/info

Nluicha

Aug 19, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
We just got a 10 month old English bulldog named Luna.
The previous owners said to give her cottage cheese in the morn. They also said to give her orange juice and canola oil.

Her food is Royal Cann.

I'm just looking for any extra tips or tricks other owners may have?!

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 144

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Welcome to EBN. I have to say, I have never heard of giving cottage cheese or orange juice and canola oil. First, Royal Canin is not the best food. I had my Brutus on the prescription Royal Canin because he is allergic to so many things, it was the only food that agreed with him. If he is on this food because of allergies, maybe you could try to get him on a grain free limited ingredient food and see how she does. Try to stay away from chicken as most bulldogs are sensitive to it. Also, most of us give a probiotic with a meal. You can give plain non fat yogurt. That's what come to mind right now. Good luck with your new baby.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
My dogs love cottage cheese. I give it to them on top of their food once in awhile. I also use Greek yogurt, green beans, and other healthy items as surprise additions to their meals. I've never heard of orange juice though...in fact, I think the citrus can give them indigestion and orange juice has too high of a sugar content for bullies to have it all the time.

I agree with [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] that Royal Canine isn't a great food. I'd consider switching. There are some great posts on here about food qualities and what has worked for who. Grain free is a must.

Congratulations on adding Luna to your family!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've never heard of giving orange juice to a dog :ohmy: it's sugar content alone can't be good for them. I agree with the above that RC isn't a very good food, there's much much better food for puppies out there.

:welcome: to EBN!

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
You can find the best dog foods (and worst) rated at Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor. I have never heard of giving any dog orange juice. In place of the canola oil, you might want to try Salmon oil. It is good for the coat and my bullies have very shiny coats.

Welcome!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great looking little girl.... love the name too!

Cottage cheese is OK

Orange juice and canola oil.... eh, not sure much a good thing... I'd stop both of those.

Royal Canin... yea, get off that too... it is not a good food at all -- lots of fillers.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We just got a 10 month old English bulldog named Luna.
The previous owners said to give her cottage cheese in the morn. They also said to give her orange juice and canola oil.

Her food is Royal Cann.

I'm just looking for any extra tips or tricks other owners may have?!

Thanks!

Hi and Welcome to you and Luna. She is beautiful, and I love her colour.
You have been given excellent advice above already, and I agree with the suggestions and advice.
I also have never heard of giving canola oil or orange juice to a dog, but giving vitamin C in a capsule or other supplement form is good, as is adding an Omega Oil source. Better choices for Omega Oils are Salmon Oil, Od Liver Oil, or Coconut Oil.
My two furballs also came from the breeder on Royal Canin food, but I switched them to Fromms as Royal Canin is rated as a 3 Star food and isn't the best choice of dog food, it has corn and too many other fillers and grains which are not good for dogs, plus it is chicken based which many Bullies don't tolerate. I give our guys Fromms Lamb and Lentil topped with 2 Tbsps of plain unsweetened yogurt every morning, we give them fresh fruits like cut up apples, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon for occasional treats, and in the evening I add 1 tbsp of Coconut Oil and 1 tsp of powdered Kelp to their evening kibble. We also add vegetables such as green beans, broccoli, cauliflower or cooked carrots. I add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday as well. If you decide to add any of these toppers or supplements, I recommend you add them one at a time and for a week before adding another one, that way you will know which one she doesn't tolerate or which one she is allergic to if she has a reaction.

Most Reactions