Hello

big b

Aug 10, 2015
Country
georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
No bulldog yet.
I am in 8th grade and am thinking about getting a bulldog.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Welcome!
How do your parents feel about this? :eek:

You are in the right place to learn lots about the breed! Training tips, common health issues, what to feed, etc. are all over the forum. Ask any questions you come up with.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Hi! Welcome to EBN! It is great that you are thinking about getting a bulldog and that you are doing research before actually getting one. They are a lot of work and tend to be high-maintenance, but are incredibly loving. They tend to need a lot of attention so you want to make sure that you or your family have lots of time to spend with them.

This site is full of lots of bulldog owners with tons of experience. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions at all!

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I'm a new Bulldog owner, but I have owned other breeds of dogs. Bulldogs are completely different than any other breed. They often have allergies which can lead to skin problems and tummy trouble. They require grain free food which is more expensive than dog food you find in the grocery store. They also cannot be kept outside, especially in the heat. They also tend to have breathing difficulties.

I'm not trying to convince you not to get a Bulldog. I believe the more you know about Bulldogs, the better owner you can be.

I have a 22 year old daughter who used to think a Bulldog was her "dream dog." Once I got my first Bulldog, she changed her mind because she realized how expensive they can be, and they snore!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=14666]big b[/MENTION]...Hello!...Welcome to EBN and sincere condolences on the loss
of your cat.

Reading your posts on wanting a bulldog, don't blame you at all, they
are fabulous! All the members have given you great advice on why it's
best to wait until you have the time to spend with one. My 1st adoptee,
Brutus, had been in several homes before mine, none of them had any
time for him so he had a lot of issues to work out, very sad.

My suggestion is to get a cat until you're out of school and volunteer at
the Bulldog Rescues and/or go to the Bulldog Shows & learn about this
breed. Many here waited years to get their 1st bulldog, as did I, better
for you & your future bulldog. You're going to be very social in your next
few years, enjoy your life and wait until your settled & have time.

Until then cats are fabulous, low maintence and very loving, as you know.
Best of luck to you!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Hi there Big B
Ya know i was just a bit younger then you when My Grand Mother got Her Bulldog a Female her name was Chance the lucky thing for Me was My Grand Mom lived with us , Chance was My best friend for years we did everything together as there were not a lot of kids my age on the street I lived on in Toronto On CA. Those days I came home from school for lunch so as I was eating on the couch watching TV Chance would get up and put her head on My lap and go to sleep till it was time for me to return to school , after school she was on her rope waiting for Me to get back from school on the front lawn could she ever get excited to see Me come over the top of the hill and start towards our house lol.
Once a snack was consumed by the both of us and I got My nap sack with a couple bottles of water and a bowl we were gone man , we spent a ton of time in the parks walking everywhere lol
You came to the right place to ask questions or read on your own my friend tons of articles about what and what not to feed your dog , certain ailments Bulldogs might have you can learn about , the history of the Breed is another amazing topic , they are quite a breed if you take the time to explore where the Bulldog came from . Big B you can see hundreds of pic of the various sizes colors wrinkles ect ect here a great place and everyone cares about the breed here bud . So enjoy KEEP POSTING you thoughts and questions , Oh did I mention Girls really like Bulldogs , think Now a day they call them Chick Magnets but I am sure your not interested in that sort of stuff ........ lol Have fun Bud !

OP
B

big b

Aug 10, 2015
Country
georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
No bulldog yet.
Oh did I mention Girls really like Bulldogs , think Now a day they call them Chick Magnets but I am sure your not interested in that sort of stuff ........ lol Have fun Bud !

EWW girls have cooties. Nah I'm messing with ya, I am interested :) But I am gonna hold off for a few years to get my first bulldog. I think I should familiarize my self with the breed by volunteering out with them at a shelter like yall said. Even though I won't have a bulldog anytime soon, I like the site so I will pop back in every now and then.

OP
B

big b

Aug 10, 2015
Country
georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
No bulldog yet.
[MENTION=8958]natski282[/MENTION]. Your puppy in your avatar is so cute. He looks so cute.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Do that when I was thinking of retirement I knew from the story I told you that it was the breed for Me sort of a gift to Me for retirement and a 2010 Camaro I got both bud lol , My point is it took Me two years too just decide on a breeder alone that breeder is a 12 hour drive for Me so it was that important , they also are with you for life a good breeder is pure support for you and your dog OR should BE so make a good choice ok . Another thing in My view if it sounds to good to be true IT IS ok so price if true breeders like mine are selling pups for $2500.00 and you find one for $800. ya might want to think there might be something wrong right , I have never seen from a true and proper caring breeder sell a pup for under 2500.00 and there sometimes more bud so if it sounds to good to be true do not do it !

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Big B that is My new pup that I will pick up from My breeder in the middle of Sept , she would be 18 days old today.
We lost our precious Tilly a few weeks ago near crushed Me she was just turned 4 years old and passed from Cancer total bumber bud .
We decided to call the new pup Primrose ( very English name , remember what I said about checking out the Bulldog breed history ?) her short form name will be Rosie , she is a very large female as big as the males in the litter ( her brothers ) and way larger then her sisters . Ya she is pretty cute more pics of all My dogs ( have 4 not including Rosie at this point ) in My albums help yourself go see .
Rosie was born 1 day before my Birthday which was pretty cool if you believe in Karma M8 lol

OP
B

big b

Aug 10, 2015
Country
georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
No bulldog yet.
I just think she is so adorable, I would love to just play with her :).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
EWW girls have cooties. Nah I'm messing with ya, I am interested :) But I am gonna hold off for a few years to get my first bulldog. I think I should familiarize my self with the breed by volunteering out with them at a shelter like yall said. Even though I won't have a bulldog anytime soon, I like the site so I will pop back in every now and then.

Great plan -- please do stay with us and soak up as much knowledge as you can. These babies are special and require a lot of care and special needs due to allergies and breathing concerns

OP
B

big b

Aug 10, 2015
Country
georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
No bulldog yet.
Yeah I have learned a bit from googling bulldogs, like they need to have their wrinkles cleaned or they can get an infection. But I will be able to learn a LOT more if I am on here then just googling.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I just think she is so adorable, I would love to just play with her :).

Ya Me too Bud lol
Its been a bit since I have had a pup so will depend on this site a lot to ask questions , one thing you have to remember with a pup is ya they are soooo much fun to play with, they also need a huge amount of sleep there still pretty low in energy levels so you have to being the play buddy know when to back off and give them some time to sleep eat and explore lol I like them to have there own space a crate is perfect as they will learn that is there place and ONLY there place so if you have other pets no that's your pups place not there,s , as your pup grows it will retain that as there place to go. Any Bulldogs i have owned want to be with you no matter what even in the bed that si up to you if you allow the dog into the bed , I have always done it but that can get messy with a pup ok . One more thing Bulldogs swallow a lot of air and eat food , now how to put this ....... They snore and sometime pretty loud , for Me if the dog stopped snoring I woke up thinking something was wrong but I am a light sleeper bud , but as I said they swallow a LOT OF AIR and it will not all come back out the mouth as say a Burp there is another place it will come out ya know what I mean !!!!!! and they do it A LOT lol

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Yeah I have learned a bit from googling bulldogs, like they need to have their wrinkles cleaned or they can get an infection. But I will be able to learn a LOT more if I am on here then just googling.

Right on your right some need it more often then others too also some come with tails that cause stuff to hang up as they go well you know # 2 or potty from the rear , the smart thing to do there is make sure they do not have that type of tail first off but that is not always the case so you might have to like the wrinkles keep a eye on that area also . I am not sure but look up Bulldog first aid kit here or post that question it will tell you what experienced owners consider MUST HAVES to take care of there Bully and it should also cause you to ask more questions as to why certain things are in that kit right . Read the FOOD guides here they are amazing and one of the most important guides for a PUP forward to adult to senior bully truly you are what you eat right , I am doing it and have decided to change the food I feed all 5 dogs just because I can find a better food for app the same price that will hopefully be better for My dogs . Listen Big B as of Tomorrow I might not be on as much as My daughter gets married this Saturday and will be gone till next Sunday at least so do not think I have decided to be ignorant and not reply if you post again ok M8 . The Gentleman she is marrying is ok with Me as he is a Bully lover also ha ha ha , I have a sign on My garage door that says `` If My Bulldog does not like you Either do I`` He passed so all good bud lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.