dracing10

Jul 20, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocket
Hi every one, My name is David and I can say I'm a proud person to have "Rocket" my English bull dog pup in my life.
right now he is 14 weeks old. and he just awesome, I love him so much.

But I have 2 problems with him

1. I currently feed him Acana Lamb Okkanangan apple. and after a month of this he has diarrhea.
2. He is chewing everything.... and I mean every thing......... I have like 5 different chew toys for him and this slows him down a little

So my question is I need some guidance here, please help.

Thanks David

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
i would switch him to a bland diet and then get him on a better food, this thread shows the best there is out there English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

Chewing is part of the puppy phase and he will grow out of it. You just need to redirect him when he chews something that he shouldn't be chewing on and if it's you that he's chewing on you need to tell him no and redirect him to a chew toy.

:welcome: to EBN!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Definite check out the food; you could give him some pumpkin (100% pure pumpkin) in his food. Watch how much you are feeding him, too much will also give him diahrea, bullies have temperamental stomachs. I feed mine Earthborn grain free and they seem to do very well and many others here use Fromm. As for the chewing; wathc them like hawks, make sure you have a crate or something safe for him if you don't have all eyes on him. My girls are 4 and 2 and both of mine still love to chew, I get them raw large marrow bones (not cooked) from the store and they love them. It keeps them occupied for quit some time and they are cheap. Also, make sure their toys are really tough. Bullies will eat anything so keep redirecting them to their toys and watch them. Always watch them and know what your child is up to at all times. Crate train them so they understand their space. Good luck.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
You have gotten good advice above from other members. The food could have an ingredient he is allergic or sensitive to and you might need to try another. Or it could be the amounts that you are feeding. If you do try a different food, just make sure it is a slow switch. Here is a great site for various dog foods: Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

As for the chewing, re-directing worked well for us, making sure you have plenty of safe stuff around for Rocket to chew on. Antlers are great. We would also get a sturdy, thick washcloth and dip in water, the freeze. When Frank was a puppy, he loved chewing on the frozen washcloths because it felt so good on his teeth.

Welcome to EBN! We have wonderful members here with combined many years of experience with bulldogs, so don't hesitate to ask any questions! Also, we love bulldog pictures...the more the better!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

How much are you feeding at each meal?

Chewing -- redirect, redirect, redirect.... puppy shark phase, teach him what he is allowed to chew on and it will eventually fade away -- at around 5/6 mths :D

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
i would switch him to a bland diet and then get him on a better food, this thread shows the best there is out there English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

Chewing is part of the puppy phase and he will grow out of it. You just need to redirect him when he chews something that he shouldn't be chewing on and if it's you that he's chewing on you need to tell him no and redirect him to a chew toy.

:welcome: to EBN!

I thought Acana was a 'good' food. The food he is feeding is rated 5 star on this forum! If his boy is allergic to an ingredient, that is something else entirely but this makes it sound like the OP is feeding a bad food which he isn't.

OP
dracing10

dracing10

Jul 20, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocket
I have been feeding 1 cup in the morning 1 cup in the evening.

OP
dracing10

dracing10

Jul 20, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocket
As far as the chewing I have been doing just as everyone say.

Thanks for the advice

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs are all "grown up" and they have a toy box of mostly every kind of heavy duty nylabone, shin bones, and they still go pick out something to chew on every day.
You have to be persistant about what they are allowed and not allowed to chew,when they are pups! Of course it's easier when they have each other to chew on!!!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
It may be that at 14 weeks he should still be eating three times a day. Maybe he's eating a little too much at a time--you could try spreading the two cups over 3 feedings a day for another month or so. Rocket is adorable! Welcome to EBN and congratulations on your puppy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.