Health Guarantee Question

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Bowser's breeder gave me a 2 year health guarantee for genetic diseases. I was just wondering if the vet tests for theses genetic diseases when I bring Bowser in for his new puppy exam? Or are theses tests done when he gets a little older?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm unsure of what you mean?

How would a vet be able to tell you anything unless your pup comes down with something and the vet is trying to identify what it is. Are you saying to do tests for specific genes that can cause diseases in your dog? I've never heard of that being done.

Generally, only breeders do health testing for their breeding program, not the people who buy the pups.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think your breeder meant that if your puppy comes down with a disease in the next two years that's been known to get passed down genetically, you can get a refund.

The reality is very different though. You'll never be able to prove it and even if you could, would you really be able to give up your dog after a year or so of having them?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A vet, to my knowledge does not do any type of genetic testing and I agree with Ellie -- when your pup develop something that is deemed genetic by the vet is when the breeder will offer a refund and your return the pup

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with the others, all that is saying is, they are guarantying no genetic defects for two year, and if something does pop up, the breeder, depending on how the contract is written, will either help with the vet bills, which I doubt, or give you another pup when available. But like others have said, I doubt by then, you will be willing to give up your baby.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
these guarantees while in place, often does not work meaning, if the dog is diagnosed with a genetic disease at a later time, the owner by theory will have to give the dog back to the breeder to be replaced by another pup. This does not happen often as the owner has bonded with the animal and will not give it back regardless. I have seen it time and again.

AmandaH12

Jun 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
YOu took the words out of my mouth. I purchased my Mac from a breeder with a year health guarantee. Found out only after he got sick that he has a hyperplastic trachea. I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy. Breeder only suggested that we return him. We were already in love...so we opted to ride it out. A year and a half later and many many bucks forked out. And Mac is fine. Good luck

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Thank you for the responses. I definitely wouldn't give him up. I just look at a health guarantee as more peace of mind than anything. Just shows me the breeder stands by their dogs. I just didn't know if I had to get any special testing done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online