brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am absolutely heartbroken for you and your family. This is just a tragedy. I will pray for comfort for you and yours.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
What a dreadful thing to happen. I am so very sorry for you and your sweet Gus.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am so sorry for Your loss of Precious Gus, I am Praying for You and Your Family and Sending Love. I know all to well how you feel, I have lost many 4 legged Babies over the years, it nearly has killed me, but I do know I will see them again one day, and never to part with them again. This keeps me going, knowing I will see them again. Gus will be waiting for you in Heaven, but now he is running with the Angels and is in God's Hands.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm so sorry, this is absolutely heartbreaking to read. I hope you will gets some answers, and I hope that your vet is truthful about what she finds out... I'm thinking, like ddnene said, that another vet office should probably do the autopsy so nothing is being hidden from you.

My vet always gives me a paper as a part of the bill with the exact amount of things they've used when my dogs have been there, everything from the bags the pills comes in down to the minute the surgery took. I can see exactly what they've used. I'm pretty sure most vets keeps record like that for inventory but maybe not all give it out... I would ask for it. It can be at help later on if you decide to go forward with this.

I'm really truly sorry, no one should go through this and especially not when they are so young. We are all here for you if you need to vent <3

Thinking of you

Run Free Gus

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm just at a loss of words at life's cruelty & unfairness at your loss of Gus.

The outrage rises up every time I try to write this and has to be erased.

Please know, I will continually lift you & your family before Jesus, the Man
of Sorrows, who lived as a man and knows these things & suffered them too.

Know also, God has made a special place in Heaven for the broken hearted
and those crushed in spirit...He mourns that deeply with us and for us.

What has happened is not right, not fair and undeserved by you and no matter
what, Gus is gone...that is the worst thing. In time and in the right time, I hope
you allow another puppy to come, to heal & to bring all the joy, love & laughter
Gus brought into your home and into your hearts. Do not let that be stolen from
you!

I send each of you faith, hope & strength along with the courage to love again
and I ask God to send His Angels of Mercy to safeguard your hearts from all the
destructive emotions that steal our joy from us and leave only ruin behind, Amen.

Remember (and I know this hurts right now but soon, won't) Gus runs free in Heaven
and plays with Spike, one day...will love & play with you & yours again....

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
My deepest condolences to you on the loss of sweet Gus. My heart breaks for you. I had these exact fears when I took Bella to get spayed, and I'm just heartbroken that your fears came true.

Gus was beautiful, just beautiful.

Please, please continue to post here. We all care and love you and sweet Gus.

RIP sweet Gus. God bless you all...

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
[MENTION=14467]Gussesdad[/MENTION], I've been thinking about you and your family a lot since you lost Gus. Just checking in to see how y'all are doing now. Losing Gus during his surgery really upset me and I can't seem to quit thinking about it and y'all. I'm so sorry!

OP
Gussesdad

Gussesdad

Jul 6, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Thanks for all the kind words. Still devestated. To be honest it's hard for me to come to this site anymore and that's why I haven't been around. Everyone here is so nice and enjoying talking about their dogs but it brings me to tears to visit this site every time now.

So far nothing. I got one set of results and so far nothing conclusive why he had the cardiac arrest. Waiting for one more set of results that should be late next week.

In the end nothing brings him back. Would love to get a new pup, but how can we? We are so ripped apart. We tried so hard to do everything right with Gus and now this happens. If I had another pup all I'd be doing is worrying when something would go wrong.

If you don't see me around here anymore, please don't take offense. You've all been so kind and helpful. It's just that I don't think I can bare seeing everyone so happy with the greatest breed in the world and the pets they love without me crying everytime. I'm one of those guys that doesn't cry about anything. Before this I can't remember last time I cried. Had to be over 10 yrs. Now everytime I think of Gus, see a bulldog I can't help myself.

I wish nothing but the best for all of you and pray no one ever has to go thru this. For those that have experienced this in the past, I commend you for being able to pick yourselves up and get back on the forums

Sent from my iPhone

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for all the kind words. Still devestated. To be honest it's hard for me to come to this site anymore and that's why I haven't been around. Everyone here is so nice and enjoying talking about their dogs but it brings me to tears to visit this site every time now.

So far nothing. I got one set of results and so far nothing conclusive why he had the cardiac arrest. Waiting for one more set of results that should be late next week.

In the end nothing brings him back. Would love to get a new pup, but how can we? We are so ripped apart. We tried so hard to do everything right with Gus and now this happens. If I had another pup all I'd be doing is worrying when something would go wrong.

If you don't see me around here anymore, please don't take offense. You've all been so kind and helpful. It's just that I don't think I can bare seeing everyone so happy with the greatest breed in the world and the pets they love without me crying everytime. I'm one of those guys that doesn't cry about anything. Before this I can't remember last time I cried. Had to be over 10 yrs. Now everytime I think of Gus, see a bulldog I can't help myself.

I wish nothing but the best for all of you and pray no one ever has to go thru this. For those that have experienced this in the past, I commend you for being able to pick yourselves up and get back on the forums

Sent from my iPhone

Sending you lots of hugs.... Give yourself time--- we were devastated after losing Banks last year. I still cry at least once a week over her being gone --- but the hole without a pup is even worse... You'll know when the time is right to get a new baby..

Hopefully when you do we will see you again

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Take care of yourself and time does heal, it's the only thing that does...

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel

Sent from my iPhone

I think most of us have been where you are now. It is horrible and nothing we can say can make it hurt any less. When you are ready you will "get back on the horse." [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] is right--the hole without a pup is worse. That's why we have Mabel and have been introduced to these wonderful, amazing people. I thought I couldn't go on without my beloved 145+ pound bullmastiff, Trixie. I still cry when I think of her. But someone told me once that every time you lose a dog, you lose a piece of your heart. Each new dog fills the hole. Eventually, you have a heart that is bursting at the seams with the unconditional love these phenomenal creatures leave for us. I will NEVER be without a dog and we can't wait to see you with photos of your new one--however long it takes you to be ready. <hugs>

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
What happened to Gus and your family was so terrible, it will take a long time to get over it if you ever do! I am going to give you some advice that some people may not agree with and you can take it or leave it.

Many years ago, my husband and I lost our beloved first boxer. It just ripped our hearts out. We worked together and a big part of our days at home and at the office were spent crying and grieving over Molly for over a month. A friend of ours said he had been given advice to get another dog as soon as possible. We got in touch with the president of our local boxer club who was also a breeder. She didn't have any pups, but she gave us a year-old girl of hers that she wanted to find a home for. Her opinion also was that you should get another dog right after you lose one, and that is my opinion now too. We've lost many dogs through the years, and that is the only thing that eases the pain of losing one. Since then, when I lose a dog, I have a new one within a week or two.

One more thing is this: After I have lost a dog, I am never ready to get a new one. I am too sad, I feel disloyal to the dog I lost, and just don't want to get another one. But I make myself do it, because I know the magic it works. I know my home is a wonderful dog home. My dogs get excellent vet care, they eat quality food, they sleep in our bed, we play with them and love on them all the time, and now that we're retired, we're home with them all day. Any dog would be really lucky to come live with us--and there are so many dogs that need good homes--even puppies from breeders need good homes. I know from your posts that you have a great dog home too. You are never replacing your lost dog, you will always miss him, but shifting you attention from your loss to a new family member will make you enjoy life again.

That's my advice, for what it's worth. Your wife could call her friend the breeder and get the ball rolling for another pup, maybe a pup related to Gus? Whatever you decide, I hope you and your family heal and keep in touch. @Gussesdad

Members online

No members online now.