OP
Gussesdad

Gussesdad

Jul 6, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Thanks. I'm not up on this stuff as much as I should be. But I assumed the ace was one of the pre anesthesia shots. In other words before the gas mask. I want to go to the vets but at this point I don't know if I'll be able to control my anger.

Sent from my iPhone

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks. I'm not up on this stuff as much as I should be. But I assumed the ace was one of the pre anesthesia shots. In other words before the gas mask. I want to go to the vets but at this point I don't know if I'll be able to control my anger.

Sent from my iPhone

I hear you and totally understand, it's best to let things calm down.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I am so very sorry for your loss, I can imagine the devastation. Ace is not something generally used for Bulldogs due to their breathing issues. I don't know much as to how it relates to cardiac arrest :(

As far as the vet goes, I'd be up in that office in a rage. Who cares, you lost your baby, and you deserve answers!

I will be praying for you & your family. And may sweet Gus rest in peace, and run free. I'm so very sorry [emoji25]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, we don't really know when it happened. It may of been the acepromazine, or it could have been the intubation. If your vet used a gas mask, I'm gonna tell you to sue cause that's the stupidest thing
a vet can do with brachycephalic breeds.

I really hope you get answers soon.

OP
Gussesdad

Gussesdad

Jul 6, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Thanks for all the kind words. Just heard from vet. She was running all over state with Gus trying to get answers. She first took him to a specialty hospital and they had some concerns about a narrow trachea but then they said they didn't want to delve to deep until they saw a pathologist. So she ran the dog across the state and they said the heart seemed a little thick but they will be conducting full autopsy tomorrow and hopefully we get some results.

He was never intubated. It happened before that once they put the gas mask on.

Now that you said the gas mask is the stupidest thing, I will bring this up next time we speak. Right now I just want to get the full report.

Unfortunately. Whether I sue, don't sue, get the answers or not, I can never have Gus back. It hurts. Don't know how to get thru this

Sent from my iPhone

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks for all the kind words. Just heard from vet. She was running all over state with Gus trying to get answers. She first took him to a specialty hospital and they had some concerns about a narrow trachea but then they said they didn't want to delve to deep until they saw a pathologist. So she ran the dog across the state and they said the heart seemed a little thick but they will be conducting full autopsy tomorrow and hopefully we get some results.

He was never intubated. It happened before that once they put the gas mask on.

Now that you said the gas mask is the stupidest thing, I will bring this up next time we speak. Right now I just want to get the full report.

Unfortunately. Whether I sue, don't sue, get the answers or not, I can never have Gus back. It hurts. Don't know how to get thru this

Sent from my iPhone

I can't imagine your pain. Just thinking of losing my two makes my knees weak, and the tears start rolling.

Just know that you can post here all you want and you'll get all the support you need. We get it and wanna help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am heartbroken for you and your family... So very sorry for the loss of your sweet boy.

I hope you get some answers .

Gus is a very handsome bully boy. Rest in peace sweerie

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I am so, so sorry for the loss of your precious Gus. And I can understand your fury too. It's probably best to let things calm down a little and get autopsy results--just so you're thinking a little more clearly. I don't know much about acepromazine. My old vet prescribed it for a boxer of mine that was really scared and crazy during storms. It was in a pill form and I was supposed to give it to calm her down. Before I ever used it, I read an article about the drug and how it should never be given to boxers (also a brachycephalic breed)--that some boxers had been known to die from taking it.

again, I'm so sorry. Such a tragic way to lose your little guy so young. We are all here for you--it hurts us all when something like this happens. Please keep us posted. Rest in peace sweet Gus!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My thoughts are with you, im so so sorry. I can relate to your pain and know that we are all thinking about Gus and your family.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Having gone through many losses, I do know your pain, and your heart is broken.It is such a shock and will always be pain that you can not forget. I hope that you get some answers. I have the feeling that maybe the wrong anesthetic was used,but perhaps he did have an undiagnosed heart problem. Whatever the answer-it won't heal the pain of your loss.It will take time,and in time the best medicine will be another pup. There is always a pup that will help fill that other part of your heart. I am so sorry for you.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
:( I'm so very sorry. I'm at a loss for words. I hope you find the answers you're looking for by doing the autopsy. Please know that we're all here to help you through this difficult ordeal.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
The so very sorry for your loss, I hope you get some answers

RIP sweet baby boy and run free

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm BEYOND upset for you and your loss… I have been there, I have lost two bulldogs AFTER surgeries and let me tell you I was in complete and utter disbelief afterwards. IF I could go back in time, I would have had a necropsy done w/another vet's office to determine what EXACTLY happened. I really hope that you are able to find answers, and from what I have learned on here ACE is not appropriate to use on BRAC breeds. Stating this just let me remind you one thing… THIS IS THE REASON WE PAY VET'S BIG BUCKS, it is THEIR job to know what is appropriate for OUR dog NOT YOURS!!! Yes we can do research, and look for answers… but ultimately IMO the vet's should KNOW this if their patients are bulldogs. This of course being said does not bring your baby back, and my heart hurts for you and your family. We are here for you, and I sincerely offer my deepest condolences…

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so sorry for your loss, in tears. I hope you get answers, even though they will not bring him back. RIP sweet Gus.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.