Advise on my dog licking at the air

Kaldhalaan

Jun 28, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Clementine
My dog has been licking at the air or it seems like it for a couple of days. It's off and on but keeping her awake. I looked at her nose and mouth and couldn't find anything wrong. She's been really skittish lately too. Usually she follows me everywhere or I can pick her up and move her but lately she has been jumping when I get close. She hasn't ever had any real medical issues but she does chew up everything. More so lately but I thought it was due to me being gone during the day this past month. I have a vet appointment on the 8th but wondering if anyone had a similar issue.

Thank you

I have a video of her doing it but I'm not sure how to post it

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
My first thoughts are allergies - curly does this from time to time when his nose is itchy/running from allergies. Some Benadryl should do the trick

The other thing I think of is flying biting which is a neurological disorder, but she would bite at the air too as if she was trying to get a fly. Curly has that too. We just give him a piece of cheese and he snaps out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Welcome to EBN [MENTION=14424]Kaldhalaan[/MENTION]:) Glad to hear Clementine has stayed healthy so far. How old is she?

My Boeboe used to do that a couple of years back, in her case I think it was low blood sugar. If we gave her a treat when she did it she usually stopped. She's never liked eating early in the morning but nowadays I give her something extra nice in her food so she will eat at least a little in the morning and she hasn't licked the air since then... BUT she started again two days ago:fie: This time I think she's itchy cos I've seen her sit on her *** and spin in a circle a couple of times. We were low on coconut oil this week so I skipped two days and I'm thinking maybe that's why:unsure: Her skin looks amazing since we started with coconut oil and all the skin issues she used to have is gone.

When at the vet ask them to check for Entropion or other eye lashes related issues, that can also make them do strange things like licking the air.

If you'd like to upload the video you have an icon at the far top right in the reply field, the icon is the second one from the right. If you hover over it it will say "insert video":)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Welcome to EBN.

I'm throwing this out there because I recently read about a dog licking the air when their anal glands were full. They were uncomfortable. You can ask your vet to check at your appointment.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Welcome to EBN.

I'm throwing this out there because I recently read about a dog licking the air when their anal glands were full. They were uncomfortable. You can ask your vet to check at your appointment.

That can very well be it since it was mentioned that she's been skittish lately...

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I too have heard it could be anal gland related, or even a possible itch by their bum, that they can't reach.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My dog has been licking at the air or it seems like it for a couple of days. It's off and on but keeping her awake. I looked at her nose and mouth and couldn't find anything wrong. She's been really skittish lately too. Usually she follows me everywhere or I can pick her up and move her but lately she has been jumping when I get close. She hasn't ever had any real medical issues but she does chew up everything. More so lately but I thought it was due to me being gone during the day this past month. I have a vet appointment on the 8th but wondering if anyone had a similar issue.

Thank you

For the video --- you have to load to Youtube then post the link here.

But, I agree, have her anal glands checked and also check her tail pocket to make sure it is clean (if she ha one)

:welcome3: to EBN

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, one day Maude was sitting, and licking and licking the air. Of course right away I thought,oh no,petit mal seizure.(have had seizure dogs...) It turned out to be itches on her butt and between her legs that she could not reach.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'll throw one more possibility in here....it could also be heart burn. Try Pepcid half an hour after meals and before bed time....

brianhoostal

May 24, 2015
NE Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sobaka
Welcome to the group

~ Brian

Thank you

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.