Devneck

May 18, 2015
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilah
Greetings everyone!

I'm a new English Bulldog owner (day 2 as I write this), however, I've always told my wife that I wanted one when we finally decided the time was right.

Here's my story:
This past weekend did not start with us planning to have a dog though. After the kids soccer game, we stopped by a local pet, feed and nursery for looking for some plants for the garden and the kids talked me into letting them go check out the pets (mainly they wanted to see the 50 year old tortoise that wanders around freely in the pet area) and they had 2 9 week old American Bulldog pups ... which we obviously did not get. After we left, and after seeing the puppies, we decided to look around at a few other pet stores etc. just for fun. At exactly 4:58pm on Saturday evening we stopped in the local humane society. They were closed at 5 but since we were there just in time they let us go look anyway. At nearly the end of the kennels, my wife spotted Lilah first and then I came seen her.

We inquired on our way out about her and they told us we could put a hold on her until 4:30pm the following day then come in and spend time with her the next day. They also told us another family had had a hold on her that day which expired 28 minutes before we arrived. The lady helping us told us a couple possible concerns that I will get into shortly.

Sunday we got up, took care of morning stuff and arrived at the humane society at about 10 minutes after 11am ... 10 minutes after they opened. You all may not be surprised to learn that there were other people already there to see her (from her being posted on their website) and we were hearing the volunteers taking calls about her at the same time while we waited. We took her out for a walk on the paths and unleashed her in the play area, just generally trying to get a sense of how she was with us all, especially the kids (10 year old twins and a 5 year old). She was fantastic and we decided we wanted her even considering the concerns.

What we were told about her:
She is about 4 year old, and her name was unknown so the humane society just called her Lilah. We like the name so she gets to keep it.
They had her in possession for 5 days, available for adoption the previous day (we originally went on the first day available) due to them having her spade before adoption.
Her previous living conditions (as we were told) was quite sad. She and another dog were kept locked up in a room, not even allowed to go outside to do their business so we needed to expect to house train her. The other dog did not get to eat and suffered malnutrition.
She likes walks but does not handle well on a leash.
Is a little overweight (66 lbs)
Does not like other dogs.

One of my biggest concerns was the house training but I decided I was up for the task (I work from home quite a bit and my wife is a full-time student). We brought her home and they were not well informed at all in my opinion. She has not even been the slightest concern with having an accident, in fact while I was at the office today my wife sent me a message that she is going to the door and scratching to get outside. If she was going indoors then I'm convinced it was due to human laziness and not her at all. We don't have any other dogs so that was not a big concern but we do go on walks as a family and last night during her first walk with us we passed probably 15-20 different dogs that would bark at us/her. She barely looked at any of them, was completely uninterested and this included both small 'yappers' and larger dogs. She does want to pursue cats though. While she pulled a lot initially with the choker style rope the kennel gave us, once we got a harness then her performance vastly changed (still work to do though)

All-in-all, I think we got pretty lucky and am super excited for the newest addition to our family. My wife was not aware of the gas and snoring ... the snoring she thinks is cute though :)

I'm not real sure about the weight. She looks thick and strong to me but I don't know what ideal is. The other, I guess, "immediate concern" I have is that at about 5 this morning I suddenly awoke to what sounded like her choking on something in the twins room (she snuck in there and climbed in bed with one of them). I ran in immediately and she would make like a cough/sneeze like sound a couple times then almost gag like she was about to throw up, nothing came out and then she would look at me and start wagging her rear. This happened for about the first 15 minutes of the morning and then mostly subsided with a couple very random occasions throughout the day. What research we've done so far seems to point to maybe kennel cough or something called "reverse sneezing" both of which sound mostly harmless from what I've read. I'll be calling for first vet appointment right after I finish writing this but since she appears OK after a minute or so then I didn't think it warranted an emergency visit.

Right off the top of my head that's all I got ... sorry there isn't more. Thanks everyone!

And probably the part of my post you're really looking for :D :

20150518_081716.jpg2015051895081351.jpg2015051795133651.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN.... what a beautiful lucky girl! thank you for adopting her and giving her a new chance at a great life!

The morning thing is probably phelm, they all do this,some worse than others, a squirt of real lemon juice will help break it up if it is real bad. Give her a full month to settle in... some rescue/adopted babies do not show all their personalities the first few days/weeks...

gas --- table spoon of plain Greek yogurt can help, but the food is the big player here.... what are you feeding?

best of luck with her and so glad you found us

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Welcome!! So happy that you went with adopting :) Just like mentioned, be very patient with her while she transitions to her new home. Agree also with the possible phlegm issue - just keep an eye out on it & if it gets worse then I'd take her in for a checkup.

Another thing that came to mind when you mentioned kids, I know it's near impossible but watch what you leave on the floor in regards to toys, Barbies, plastic, socks (esp socks) -- bullies are notorious for eating things! No rawhides or toys she can't easily destroy. I'd stick with antlers or bigger kongs, nylabones etc.

The gas could be tamed with the yogurt. If you see no improvement, look into what you're feeding. Bullies do well on "grain free" kibble. Chicken being a big allergen for many.

She doesn't look overweight from the photos, so I would say keep her no higher & exercise her - walks, playing etc. Just always be watchful of the heat & her breathing. Bulldogs need to be kept cool in summer & warm in winter - inside dog at all times :)

Good luck, we're all here for any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Devneck

Devneck

May 18, 2015
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilah
Thanks for the replies. We are a little unsure where we should go for food. I forgot to mention that the humane society did not know what food she was on before surrender so they had just been giving her science diet (standard food there I guess?!). We have a small bag of that and a small bag of Iams Proactive Health Adult Lamb & Rice. Both I notice have scored low on the Dog Food Ratings page.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the replies. We are a little unsure where we should go for food. I forgot to mention that the humane society did not know what food she was on before surrender so they had just been giving her science diet (standard food there I guess?!). We have a small bag of that and a small bag of Iams Proactive Health Adult Lamb & Rice. Both I notice have scored low on the Dog Food Ratings page.

Place her on a bland diet till you figure what you want to use.... that will limit and 'explosions' for her and you.

Some good ones to look at are Earthborn, Fromm, Taste of the Wild and Orejin... they are ones that many members have suggest with

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You are a life saver!! Welcome to EBN happy you found us!

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
:EBNwelcome:

Glad you were able to save such a beautiful girl! As others have said you may want to keep the diet bland until you know what works best. A lot of bulldogs have allergies to chicken and grains so it's best to stay away from those items.

I wouldn't be worried about her weight as she looks great in the photos! The only thing I'd recommend is getting her dry noise some moisturizer as the top looks a bit rough. I use Snout Smoother on Boris when his nose starts cracking up from all the abuse he gives it sniffing all the things.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Look for specialty pet stores in your area. You won't find higher quality foods at your basic Petco or Petsmart, etc. If you go to Fromms website and search for retailers, it will show you who carries their line. If they carry Fromms, they carry all the others higher quality brands as well. Go with something grain free for sure, pref not chicken :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.