New here! *Hello* :-) advice and info on English bulldogs, we may get one!

Jarr1221

May 11, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
not yet
Hey guys n gals! New here to the community. Seems nice here with lots of great members and info.
Me and my husband (and our 11, 6, and 4 year old) are very interested in adding a English bulldog to our family. We currently have no inside animals, and one outside dog whom is just a good ol'mutt, 14 years old and a sweetheart. We have done some research and have fallen in love with the English bulldogs. We may or may not be interested in breeding later; my husband's mom and sister breeds dogs and we may be interested in that later (not sure), right now we just are looking for a pup our kids can grow up with.
ANY advice, info would be helpful and welcomed! Thaaaaaaank you :-)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome4:to EBN!! There is much information on this site-just about everything you need to know! If there is something that isn't-just ask! We all help as much as we can. Breeding Eng. Bulldogs is not like others. The people have to do ALL the work! Getting up about every two hours to bring the pups to mom is a biggie. Artificial insemination, cesarian delivery,.It will be a few years for you to think about it! Hope you find your special pup!:yes:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Welcome to EBN! English bulldogs are like no other breed. They take your heart for good.

Here's some doog tips on buying your pup if you haven't read these allready...
English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Puppy Buying Tips
English Bulldog News Forums - Why Should You Never Purchase A Puppy From a PetShop?

Also about breeding if you decide to go that way...
English Bulldog News Forums - About Bulldog Breeding: Learn What It Takes
English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog Breeding DOs and DONTs!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hello, glad you joined us. Riisi has you covered on breeding. English Bulldogs are indoor dogs, however, and wanted to be sure you knew this as they do need to live in a climate controlled environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hi and welcome to EBN! Bulldogs are like adding a two year old to the family. the only difference is they never age beyond two! They are a handful so just be aware that with a large young family, it will be a lot to handle. As [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] has stated, Bullies are inside dogs that need to be kept in a warm house in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. Anything above 70 degrees puts them at risk for heat stroke and death. I would seriously recommend roaming around here for a while to get familiar with some of the traits/quirks of a bulldog and see if it is still a good fit for your family. They are loving, wonderful dogs, they are just a lot of work and require daily maintenance that you may not be aware of at this point. Good luck and again Welcome!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN... do a LOT of research and ask lots of question. Bulldogs are a full time commitment and are a high maintenance breed.... the love they give is 10 fold but you want to make sure they are the breed for you. As another member stated, they are an inside dog and can not handle extreme temps.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I would own 10 of these wonderful babies if I could.It is a huge responsibility to be a bulldog parent they are high maintence but so worth every sleepless night or day :) You will fall in love instantly. But please get informed before making your decision .

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Bulldogs are worth their weight in gold; I have Amber and was so in love with her I became a repeat offender and went back and got her sister Ruby (same parents, different litter). They are also a handful and if you aren't prepared to have a dog living 100% of the time in your house, on your furniture, in your bed, and shadow you everywhere you go then this isn't the dog for you. As some have mentioned, they are a handful and high mainetenance (tail pocket cleaning daily, bum washing daily, wrinkle cleaning daily, special diets all the time, allergies, the works). They are mischievious and love to nibble on their house (yes I meant their house; they tend to own everything and you own nothing), they like to taste cabinets, baseboards, curtains, de-stuff furniture (they just love to know what is inside pillows), rip up books and newspapers, pee on blankets to mark their territory, your childrens toys will be re-engineered and if it is a barbie be prepared to triage the chewed up limbs :ROFL::ROFL: (my daughter has a whole box of amputees, lol). My bullies have destroyed more things than I can mention but it is never their fault and always the fault of the humans for leaving things down where they can get to it. Besides destroying things and never growing out of it, their love for their family members is endless and unmatched by anyother breed. They are totally committed to their family and we love Amber the Destroyer and Ruby the Renegade endlessly. You really don't own a bully, the bullies own you and you tailor your life around them. So, if you are up for the challenge then congratulations and welcome to the world of bullies!!! If after reading my post and your eyes are about to pop out of your head :LMAO::LMAO: then you might want to consider a different breed for your family. Good luck!!

And one more thing........their medical bills can be quit costly so be prepared on any given year to pay more for their medical bills than you do for your own. I am not trying to depress you........just keeping it real!

Last edited:

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Bulldogs are worth their weight in gold; I have Amber and was so in love with her I became a repeat offender and went back and got her sister Ruby (same parents, different litter). They are also a handful and if you aren't prepared to have a dog living 100% of the time in your house, on your furniture, in your bed, and shadow you everywhere you go then this isn't the dog for you. As some have mentioned, they are a handful and high mainetenance (tail pocket cleaning daily, bum washing daily, wrinkle cleaning daily, special diets all the time, allergies, the works). They are mischievious and love to nibble on their house (yes I meant their house; they tend to own everything and you own nothing), they like to taste cabinets, baseboards, curtains, de-stuff furniture (they just love to know what is inside pillows), rip up books and newspapers, pee on blankets to mark their territory, your childrens toys will be re-engineered and if it is a barbie be prepared to triage the chewed up limbs :ROFL::ROFL: (my daughter has a whole box of amputees, lol). My bullies have destroyed more things than I can mention but it is never their fault and always the fault of the humans for leaving things down where they can get to it. Besides destroying things and never growing out of it, their love for their family members is endless and unmatched by anyother breed. They are totally committed to their family and we love Amber the Destroyer and Ruby the Renegade endlessly. You really don't own a bully, the bullies own you and you tailor your life around them. So, if you are up for the challenge then congratulations and welcome to the world of bullies!!! If after reading my post and your eyes are about to pop out of your head :LMAO::LMAO: then you might want to consider a different breed for your family. Good luck!!

And one more thing........their medical bills can be quit costly so be prepared on any given year to pay more for their medical bills than you do for your own. I am not trying to depress you........just keeping it real!

This, this, and this!!! I wouldn't trade Dexter for all the gold in China but I thought I had done my research. Boy was I under informed.

You might also look into the adoption part of the site. Plenty babies need furever homes!

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Dalmatina38 is dead on. We love our two and wouldn't take anything for them. But to do it again. No way. I cannot imagine being a breeder. 24/7.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:smileywelcome: This forum is the best place to learn about these dogs! I joined before we rescued our Mabel and don't know what I would have done without the help I received here--and the support!

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
I just posted something similar to what is being said but yes educate yourself and read read read all of the info we are posting and or asking questions or giving advice on from this site. They can have food allergies from the beginning to end or just get one out of the clear blue or seasonal allergies as well. Goodness sakes alive it is never ending learning but as many have already spoke on that this particular breed is most definitely one of a kind and once you go their you will ask yourself what the heck took you so long lol of course thats I see when I look at my kid and all the previous kids before her lol. She runs my life and I love it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.