New bulldog owner

Weegus

May 2, 2015
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Hi guys and girls first time bulldog owner recently i have noticed after my dog eats he coughs and splutters and some times is sick is this normal hes feed royal canin junior which i was told is the best for him hes only 6 months old also he has red marks in between his front paws any ideas what this is?

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
Hi ,I too am a first time owner and my boy is 16 months ,is Gus eating to fast do you think ? I use stainless steel pacer balls in chumley,s large bowl I use both a large and a small and it slows him down by 70% I purchased them from Amazon and wouldn't be with out them .you can also purchase slow feeding dishes.i also use a raised feeding station for Chumley i was told that it puts their body in a better position for eating and I had one made the height of his legs .
With the redness in his paws it Cld be an allergy and yeast infection and because they chew them they become red.i clean chumleys paws daily with luke warm water and apple cider vinegar from the health food shop I then dry them well and use a little betadine on them .if they get to bad or lumpy like little cists it would be beneficial to take gus to the vet .as Bulldogs are prone to yeast infections .keep an eye on his ears and wrinkles also his tail pocket .theres lots of info on this forum I love it !

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I would also like to add that you can also add some warm water to mix w/the kibble to make a gravy. That is what I do to keep Walter from scarfing his food down too fast…

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN .... royal canin is really not that great of a food and if he has red on his paws then it most likely is not agreeing with him. Being you are in Scotland... look into Wainsright or James Well Beloved... they are the two good ones I know of in the UK... not sure if they are available to you.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Welcome to EBN, could you post a pic of the paws? It might be an allergic reaction to something, I agree with above that maybe he's eating to fast?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome the the site and he could be eating too fast and that could be causing the coughing. You might have to get a slow feed bowl and try that, plus have his palate checks to make sure he doesn't have an elongated palate. Plus as others have said Royal Canin isn't that good of a food.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.