Mrsgates2010

Apr 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi my name is Beth. My husband, daughter and I own an 8 yr old English Bulldog names Bella. She has many gealth issues such as skin allergies being her main problem. She has had the infamous cherry eye. She had a severe uterine infect a few years ago that lead to her emergency hysterectomy. She has an EXTREMELY sensative GI tract. She has been placed on the ID GI special diet. Her skin allergies are a constant battle. Trial of abx, this past month her vet whom we love tried prednisone for the first time. Things got gery bad! The panting, diarrhea, up 24/7, frequent urination, it was horrible. So we got anti diarrhea meds, took her back in, stopped the steroid immediately! The vet gave her a sot if depo? Another steroid, same side effects!! So all we could do eas wait it out but add Xanax. It has worked a bit, meaning 20 mins at max. Our dog has anxiety like no other I tell you. Poor baby is affraid if the wind blows. Will not potty if it rains. She started licking the tile and all. My question to all is trying to give her the pills is such a terrible experience for her and I. We have tried ALL methods!!! She is too smart, she cannot tolerate food to begin with and what she can she will spit the pill out. In need of help please!!!! Thank you.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Welcome to EBN.
So sorry as it sounds like you and Bella have been though the wringer with her problems. I have taged some members that should be able to help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sorry your girl is going through so much. Have you tried to just give her a bland diet to help settle her belly (boiled chicken or beef and rice) ? I tagged two members that have had lots of GI or food allergies that might be able to help. They both switched to The Honest Kitchen food line and it did wonders for them.

For the pills... i have used for about 10 yrs without fail, lactose free vanilla ice cream, just enough to hide the pill (teaspoon tops). since it is cold they just swallow and do not have to chew so the pill is not found. I used lactose free cause my boy was allergic to dairy so over the years i just stuck with it

Welcome to EBN.... hope we can help get your Bella feeling better

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi MrsGates, and welcome to EBN. I'm so sorry you're going through all these issues with Bella, poor baby. It sounds like you've both been through a lot. Has she always had these allergy issues or are these problems new for her? What brand of dog food are you feeding her? Steroids work for the short term, and only while she is taking them, plus they have lots of side effects, so are not good to take long term. Have you tried giving her Probiotics to help with digestion and to boost her immune system? You can either add plain yogurt to her kibble everyday, or use a Powdered Probiotic or Pill. I add 2 Tbsp's of plain unsweetened yogurt to my guys kibble every morning. As for giving her pills have you tried putting it in peanut butter, or ice cream? Ice cream always works for our guys. I hope Bella feels better soon, sending love, hugs and prayers your way.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hi, welcome to EBN. my Brutus has a terrible sensitive stomach and bad anxiety. I have solved the sensitive stomach by feeding him The Honest Kitchen food. It is a dehydrated raw food that is wonderful. No additives to upset his tummy. Bella may need what my vet recommended and that is to eat whats called a Novel Protien, which can be duck, rabbit, bison, etc... you can google it because I cant remember them all. Brutus eats the Duck formula of THK. Also, when dealing with sensitive tummies be careful what treats you give. Most are cured in beef broth and can cause stomach upset. As for the anxiety, welcome to my world! Lol, brutus is so nervous about everything he started acting out aggressively to my other dogs. I started him on 30mg of Prozac and just about two months in, and he is a different dog. He is relaxed, not stressed, and it is helping him immensely. Maybe this is something to discuss with your vet. Good luck, and feel free to post any questions or concerns, or you can PM me.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. Not much for me to add as the wonderful girls have you covered.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! We would love to see pics of your girl...

velnias

Apr 26, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba Jay
Hi Mrsgates, new member myself and your question caught my eye.
Lots of good suggestions here for the pill problem. We use Peanut Butter mostly, but if Bella can tolerate cheese, use a small slice and wrap the pill inside. Since the cheese is pliable, you can mold the cheese around the pill and make a small "pill pocket" to hide the taste/smell of the pill.

We had a recent problem with a bug bite and our Golden Retriever was also on Prednisone. It does cause them to breathe heavier and pant a lot. I take it when my asthma gets really bad, so I can tell you from a human perspective, your heart races and it causes muscle aches. I can only imagine what the pups must feel.

I hope Ms. Bella is feeling better soon!!

OP
M

Mrsgates2010

Apr 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you ALL so much for your amazing suggestions! Most we have tried over her 8 years. She has had her skink allergies since she was a pup. We have tried the bland diet as far as chicken, rice, green beans, ect.. She will vomit thrm all up. She most recently had diarrhea for a month straight so pur vet placed her on the ID GI prescription diet which was working very well till the steroid was given. She gave us an anti diarrhea med but that introduced the issue of trying to give her the pill. We tried all kinds of methods. Pill pockers cheese, lunch meat, what worked was PB, but it gives her diarrhea too. Her stomach cannot handle any type of human foid. We have never given her any tpe if doggie treats due to her sensative stomach. After I give her any type of med she acts crazy too, she wont settle down, her cinstamt licking starts, rubs her face all over our walls. I feel so bad for her, like she just cant relax.

OP
M

Mrsgates2010

Apr 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you SO much! I hope to hear from them soon. It has been such a tuff road.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.