HI looking into buying my first british bulldog

Stephanie Lay

Apr 12, 2015
Hi as above looking into buying my first bd, just doing some reseasch about what i need to know and any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Also i have have 4 cats, 2 siamese and 2 ragdolls does anyone know if they generally get on with cats.

Thanks Steph

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi and :welcome3: to EBN Doug gave you all the best links for info to read up on. I tagged a couple members that have cats and can give some advice.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Haha I remember as a kid the stud pug my pug mated with. The family had 12 cats and one giant pug Winston king of pugs. :welcome: to EBN! Im sure you're new bully will have lots o fun!:yes:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I think bullies get along with cats just fine, its the cats accepting the bully that is our problem! no fighting, just no love! meep was an only cat child for along time before Lola the bulldog joined us.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I think you'll have no problems with your ragdolls accepting your bulldog,
not sure about your Siamese. However, a baby bully most likely will be
accepted, sooner or later, lol

When I was healthier, I took in many strays & rescues. I really never had
any problems with my dogs getting along with each other or, with my cats.
I had a pair of Catahoulas (brothers) that I never left alone with my cats as
they have strong prey drive and not recommended. CoCo, my ragdoll, was
fine with dogs, loved on them but never willingly shared her home w/ other
cats just tolerated them. At one point I had 4 indoor, longhaired cats and 3
100 lbs dogs, indoor/outdoor and Mom's pug...always be cleaning, lol

Please share pics of your new baby and welcome to EBN.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:smileywelcome: You'll find a lot of help on this site as you pursue your search. I have never had cats, but have never had trouble getting multiple dogs to get along.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I grew up with a Siamese cat. We could never have any other animals, she wouldn't allow it! We got a puppy once and she viciously attacked it and we couldn't keep it. She was a great cat, she just wanted to be the only cat/animal. My bulldogs have always been cat friendly, even though we don't have cats. Good luck!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
HI and welcome!

We have 2 bullies and 2 cats. When we brought Brutus into our home last year it was an extreme struggle because he attacked our cat, several times. We worked very hard with Brutus, the first few months we had him he was on a leash and collar. We would bring the cat around and set his boundaries with her. We now have him to the point where he snuggles with the cat. our other cat was never an issue because she is very reclusive and doesn't come out much. The one brutus attacked is very social. She now identifies more with the dogs than she does the other cat.
It can be done for bullies and cats to get along and be pals. The social cat of ours is sleeping in brutus' bed right now with Ruthie(our other EB).

OP
S

Stephanie Lay

Apr 12, 2015
Thanks everyone for the advice!
My cats are all softies, especially the siamese so as long as the bulldog is gentle with them they will all get used to each other in no time. I imagine getting a puppy to grow up with cats is easier than adopting a adult dog set in its ways.

Any other tips on bulldogs? I have been doing my research and frequently read they had many health problems? Can they be trained easily?

Thanks Steph :w00t:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks everyone for the advice!
My cats are all softies, especially the siamese so as long as the bulldog is gentle with them they will all get used to each other in no time. I imagine getting a puppy to grow up with cats is easier than adopting a adult dog set in its ways.

Any other tips on bulldogs? I have been doing my research and frequently read they had many health problems? Can they be trained easily?

Thanks Steph :w00t:

Unfortunately, bulldogs DO have many health issues, a very sad fact :(
Being so very popular has only increased the demand and puppy mills &
backyard breeders are churning out unhealthy puppies, the shelters and
rescues are overflowing with abandoned bulldogs as owners can't afford
the extreme $$$'s to fix them (if can be done at all). You must be very
careful and do your background checks & research.

Other issues are compatibility with the breed. As fabulous as they are, they
aren't for everyone! Bulldogs are smart and can learn easily, however, they
may or may not do as commanded unless THEY decide to. Like people tho,
bullies are individuals, many bullies are mellow and if gotten young & worked
with, mind very well and without problems. Bullies need constant & daily care,
they aren't for active lifestyles and/or owners gone a lot. They demand attention
and many people find their clinginess, annoying. People that need clean houses
and clean clothes find their constant shedding, drooling and smells, hard to put
up with! Bullies are expensive to maintain. Be honest with yourself, what you are
willing to do and not to do, accessing YOUR wants, needs & desires and your life
style. Do you have any friends you can dog sit their bullies?

Having said all the above, bulldogs are wonderful and if they suit you, just addictive!
I've had so many breeds over the years, loved them all. I've cared for one bully (my
son's ex, for three years), Bruzer caused me to fall in love with bulldogs, I'd never
been exposed and knew nothing. I researched a year, looked for a year and got my
1st bully from a friend of my sister (no time for him), when I lost Brutus, I adopted
my 2nd, a retired breeder (ethical owner/breeder) at 5 y/o and with me now, 2 years
this May. Cami is very loving, very sweet w/ good manners and is my constant sidekick.
Good luck and GOD bless & favor your decision!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
When we got Monty (at age 4 yrs) his previous owners said he had never met a cat before. He just stood and stared at our cat Darwin (who is fearless) for the first couple of days. It was quite funny! I was a bit concerned at first because Darwin is so fearless, would he run if Monty tried to get him. He then followed the cat around and still does with his nose up his butt but that is about it. He is still curious but if he gets too pushy he gets slapped although he is lucky there are no claws!. He did chase him once but it was very halfhearted. My other dog does chase Darwin if he can and thinks the cat is his own personal toy. They used to play-fight but I have had to put a stop to all of that as Monty became very interested and I didn't want a pack type situation versus the cat. If you are getting a puppy, you will be able to train it. If you are getting an older dog then it will depend entirely on that dog and how he will react. We rescued a boxer before we got Monty but had to give her back because of how she used to track the cat all the time. We could never trust her or relax and she was a whole lot faster than Monty (or us!) ever thought of being! It broke our hearts as she was a lovely girl but Darwin was here first. She is now in a cat free home. Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.