Apollo23

Mar 23, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Hello everyone! I've been going to this site for quite a while now but I just recently became a member because I can't seem to find answers for what I need about my bully Apollo. He is 3 months shy of his 2nd birthday and my husband and I just recently neutered him (last week) because he started marking inside our house in the last couple of months. We also have a female American Bully (not spayed), and they have gotten along since we brought her home, they play, and then there's the occasional act of dominance/humping. Since we got him neutered the marking has significantly decreased indoors, however his urge for our female has increased exponentially. We've been having to separate them, not only to let his stitches heal but because he can't stay off of her. He beelines to her wherever we are, we spray him with a water bottle and he backs off but then he's right at it, I stand in between them and try to steer him in a different direction, and I can't walk them together anymore. And it's definitely more intense than before, it's like he gets a death grip on her and it's starting to affect her more and more. At first we thought she was in heat because of her age but none of the other male dogs in our apartment complex react to her. Can someone please help me understand what is going on and what I can do to alleviate this issue?? I've had Apollo since he was 8 weeks old, my husband met him when he was almost 1, and he's never been around bulldogs so he is running out of patience and I don't want to have to give him up to anyone! I'm not an expert on bulldogs but I do know they can be quite stubborn and hard to train but I'm running out of options. Thank you to anyone who responds!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
How long ago did you neuter him? I think I remember being told it can take up to a month. If it's been longer, have you considered getting a professional trainer in to assess what's going on?

Just so you know though, we neutered both my males last December. Prior to the neutering, neither was aggressive. Well my older one (he's two) now decided he doesn't like intact dogs. He's gone after them. This was never an issue before. So I'm wondering if that's what's going on with Apollo and your girl.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:welcome: to EBN! Have you considered getting the American girl spayed?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Since Apollo was just neutered a week ago-he will still have hormones in his system. His emotions are probably running high,just having had surgery, and may also be having some pain, and doesn't know what is going on, and is "displaying". Perhaps your girl may be getting ready to come into heat, as the "boys" sure know before we do! I would just try to keep them seperated until Apollo heals up from his "trauma". It can take up to a month for the hormones to leave his system. I ,too, would recommend having your girl spayed, as even though Apollo is neutered, he could still be "a pest" to her when she is in heat! [MENTION=13920]Apollo23[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
His hormones are going crazy right now, and it can take several months before he gets back to normal. Be patient, and consistent with the training, he will get better.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.