need advice on new baby

amanda94

Feb 2, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
butch and jett
I have a 4 yr old male names Butch. I have adopted an 11 month old female, Baby. I had forgotten how "energetic" a young bullie can be. I need advice. Butch acts as if he will have a heart attack after 10 min of play. Should I really limit their hard play time because of the age difference? Also, is it unrealistic to allow active play in the yard and expect non rowdy play when we are all in the living room at night??

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Welcome to EBN to you amanda and your Butch and Jett!
I don't think the age difference should be a problem but going to tag some others to see what they say.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have a 10 year old boxer, and a 1 year old bulldog… I DO limit the playtime especially if my boxer was getting tired of the puppy antics. I would say that if they play "rough" outside it would be hard to stop it in the house… I would just try to keep it controlled like tug-of-war so something similar so that you don't destroy the furniture in the process… Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
As my dogs get older-but still young, they have less wrestling/playing, together. But when I had a pup in the house, it seemed like they would get the "zoomies" in the morning, and at night, before bedtime! I just let them wear themselves out! If Butch seems to have a breathing problem-or starts to get a darker tinge to his tongue, I would make them stop, he may just be out of shape and not used to all the activity.If you need to, you could crate one of them until they settle. They will "eventually" settle down-but mine always had wild mornings, and wild nights!(especially if there was something "special" on TV) I couldn't even hear the TV!!! Now they take a lot of naps!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes, you do need to limit the play time, especially when you see your older bully getting winded. Same outside, when they get too rough, stop the play and let them reset.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN .... agree with the others, you have limit/monitor the play time to ensure they do not over heat or cause any other issue

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel does the same thing after about 1 minute of play. :( I would definitely limit the time. If he is able to gradually build up more stamina that will be great. But prepare yourself that it may not happen.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.