Hello From Boris and I (Minneapolis, MN)

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Hello Everyone,

My name is Matt and I have a 7 month old AKC registered English Bulldog named Boris. The first 6 months have been a wild ride as I train both Boris and my Girlfriend. Unfortunately their relationship is not the greatest due to her lack of experience with dogs. We have signed up for obedience training so the two of them can work together on their relationship. Outside of those minor issues he is a great dog that just enjoys goofing around and looking out the windows. He currently sits at 41 lbs and will be going into the Vet on February 12th to get neutered and to have some Xrays done on his rear hips as i fear there's a possible issue. I joined the forums in hopes to find some good tips and tricks from fellow bulldog owners. This is my first Bulldog and am used to working with Bird Hunting breeds (Labs, Brits) any knowledge that can be shared is greatly appreciated.

I noticed about 3 weeks ago that when Boris walks you can feel a slight Cracking or popping feeling over his rear hips. He shows no signs of pain or lameness, but you can certainly feel something internally happening. We went into the Vet recommended by our local bulldog club and she said he seemed healthy from a glance and that his hips seemed secure from the motion tests she had done, but we won't fully know until we do Xrays. I've contacted the breeder and she has supplied me with health records of the family and there is no hip dysplasia shown in any records through the last 3 generations that were supplied. She just recommended Fish oil and some Cottage cheese with his meals to help supply the nutrients needed in growing pups. Anyone else have a similar experience?

We currently feed him Royal Canin Bulldog puppy food as it was recommended by a friend who has a 1 year old EBD, but am open to any suggestions as we move towards an Adult kibble.

skateboardboris.jpglazyboris.jpg

Thanks and look forward to making new friends on the forums :D

Matt

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Welcome to both you and Boris. No experience with the hip issues but wanted to tell you what a handsome boy you have.

keystnlabs

Dec 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agatha Gump
Boris is ador-a-bull. Good luck with the training of all involved! Welcome.

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
He is sure a cutie pie!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN and the wonderful world of Bulldogs!

Hips are if-y.. even withou the history they can still have issues, but I hope you boy does not have it. My girl, was 9 yrs old when she past and at 8 months we diagnosed with severe hip dysplsia ... avet told us she would not be able to live past 2 with how bad they were, well.... she lived a very full, healthy, active, wonderful 9 years -- do not fret, they have a high pain tolerance and can take more than most brededs can.

Food... it is best with Bullies due to allergy tendancies and skin issues to avoid grains and maybe chicken (lots of allergies to processed chicken/kibble). RC is really not a good food... lost of fillers (rice, rice and rice oh, and some meal).
Many here feed grain free foods such as Fromm, Earthborn, Orejin, Acana, Taaste of the Wild, Nature's Variety.... to name a few.

You can also check out this list of dog food ratings -- English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.