Hi everybody! im new here, and in need of help!!

shell

Dec 30, 2014
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
wheezy
DSC_0042.jpg Meet Wheezy!! ( I know, I know that name is aweful) he is a 4-5 year old male that we recently brought home from a rescue, however last night was the third and most vicious time he has went after myself and my husband :( most of the time this 58 lbs of skin and wrinkles is loving and playful, but there have been a few incidents that are causing me a whole lot of concern, and questioning if he is in the right home. The first time he came after me, I will chalk up as bad advice from the rescue manager "fold up a newspaper and hit him with it, that's the only way we can correct him here and it doesn't hurt" while I know this is an acceptable way some people handle bad behavior (it worked for our rescued great Pyrenees) it does NOT work for wheezy, second time I was just waking him for bedtime, then last night I had just finished cleaning his face, and was cleaning up the stuffing from a recently destroyed toy, my daughter was on one end of the couch, the husband asleep on the other, I bent over and picked up a piece of stuffing next to wheez and he started looking at me funny, then growling...it made me uneasy, so I spoke to him and said the usual "whats up wheez?" more fierce growling, so I sat down in between daughter and husband he started that aweful noise he makes when he is about to"attack?" and started coming after me, the husband woke and pointed at him and told him NO! and he lunged at him, they struggled for what seemed like forever, wheezy just kept coming..finally my husband got enough of a hold on him and hauled him to his crate. Now this morning I am questioning whether I should turn him back in, that's pretty unacceptable to me, we have rescued for years and I do not give up easily, but ive never had a pet in my house that's been vicious (if that's what it is) and I certainly don't want to have to hold my breath every time someone comes in my home, or worse, lock him up when the babies of the family are here....any advice would be very much appreciated :) This is our very first bulldog, we have mainly rescued boxers and great Pyrenees...

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Welcome to EBN Shell.
I'm very glad you are trying to hlep a rescue but sorry it's not going well yet.
As you know you will not get what you want from a dog by hitting them so that has to stop.I have Tag a few members that will offer better help then I can offer.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello, I am at a loss with this. I have rescued some dogs,had one after being mistreated by men-didn't trust my husband, it took about a month for him to gain the trust, but I've never had a problem like this. Surely the "rescue" must have known this, and were not forth coming...? The fact that he kept coming at your husband is scary.
I have had a lot of dogs in my life-'til death do us part-but never dealt with something like this. Sounds like this dog is for someone like Cesar Milan. Sorry I can't help.
You may want to rethink this-or may need a dog behaviorist.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have never dealt w/a rescue before… I'm going to tag other members that can help you out. IMO it would be wise to let the rescue know what is happening at your home, and get a trainer immediately. How long have you had him in your home?!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN.

Seems like he is not sure of his place in the pack... go back to basics with him and use 'nothing in life is free' http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html
It may be good to bring in a trainer to the home and have them evaluate and provide some guidence... if you are now getting nervous (rightfully so) or scared -- then Weezy is reacting thinking he needs to protect himself based on sensing your fear/nervousness.
Take him for walks as a family, make him work for everything he get... food, pets, attention (nothing in life is free) -- it will take time and ALL humans in the house have to do this together -- consistency is key. As you alreay know, negative correction (hitting, screaming, yelling) do not work with dogs --- they go into protection ode when those take place as they do not respect your leadership.

Best of luck -- please keep us posted and ask any other question you have

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh boy, this doesn't sound fun at all! Did he come from an English Bulldog rescue? They should know better than to give advice like that with this breed.

I would start immediately with doing the Nothing In Life is Free training technique. Bulldogs crave affection and attention - good or bad. This technique works very well for them as the most important thing to them are their resources- food, affection, attention, and a comfy place to sleep. In order to have any of those , they must do your bidding first.

Hope this can help get you started on the right path with him!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would recommend a trainer. I have not experienced with dog on human aggression and would not want to give advice. I have only dealt with dog on dog aggression. Sorry, Good luck.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
How long have you had Wheezy? I'm concerned b/c you mentioned the rescue he came from would hit him with a folded newspaper?! How do they know it didn't hurt him? Could it be that Wheezy is growling and lunging out of fear? Maybe the time in the rescue has created this stress and fear in him that he would be hit again and now he's only trying to protect himself.

Thank you for rescuing this boy, and I would definitely contact a reputable dog trainer who can help you work this out with Wheezy.

OP
S

shell

Dec 30, 2014
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
wheezy
Thank you! I appreciate all the help I can get :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
First I would get him to a vet ASAP and get his Thyroid level checked and tell the vet what he is doing. Thyroid can cause aggression if it is out of whack. Then get a trainer and hopefully they can help, but it is highly unacceptable for a bully to attack it's owner. Call the rescue and ask them if he ever showed this behavior before, if so, they should have never let him go. Try the training, but sometimes on a head case, it does not work. I just hope it's his Thyroid and with meds, he will get back to normal.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:smileywelcome: As you have already found out, this is a great place to go for help. These folks have seen it all! I wish you much luck with your boy. Thank you for rescuing him!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.