Finsup

Dec 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Hi,

We just got our bulldog 4 weeks ago (he's 12 weeks now) and I find I have so many questions! I usually find my answer through the forums on here, so thought it would be a good idea to join and meet other bulldog owners. Just to start - I was wondering how long it took to house train a puppy and how long before owners left the pup alone? Is 4 hours too long of a stretch?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN.... so happy the forum info has helped you with your new family member!

Potty training is different for all but most should be all set by 6 months, but my French Bulldog took 2 full years. Time alone, for a pup, keep in mind they can only hold their bladder for 1 hour more than months old... so at 3 months 4 hrs is the limit for potty

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and glad you joined. Some pups take longer to potty train than others, but is usually takes several months or longer for them to get it. At 12 weeks, he can only hold it for about 3 hours, but if he is playing he will pee more often. I would crate train him and you can leave him in his crate for several hours without peeing, usually. They can last longer at night, but not all night yet. He is still a baby and his bladder is still small. We do not let ours roam free when we are gone, we crate them. I think crate training also helps with potty training.

OP
Finsup

Finsup

Dec 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
I noticed that he pees way more when he's playing lol. We use a pen and he won't soil in there but we put him out about every 30 mins when he's awake. The only 'accidents' he has are at night. We don't crate him at night and he'll pee on one of those training pads. My only concern is he won't go to the door to let us know he has to pee. Does that come through routine? I should mention that he does go to the door when he has to poop.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I love that picture of Archie. Potty training is a nightmare until You get trained. At six months it was like a light switch going on. They go to the door and let her know. She still religiously let them out after drinking and eating. Hang in there.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Welcome to EBN Archie. We got Jewel at 10 weeks old. We took her out after eating and when she woke up from a nap.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Welcome to EBN! Archie is adorable! I don't have anything to add except crate training at night was a must for our dogs. It's great that he already goes to the door to poop!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What a cutie! I think we need more pictures!

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
WELCOME you have found the best place EVER!!!!!!!!!!:p

OP
Finsup

Finsup

Dec 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
I really, really appreciate all the advice! This is my first dog so I wasn't sure if I was doing things right! Thanks for all the support. How do I add more pics? I think I've taken more pics of Archie than my human child lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I really, really appreciate all the advice! This is my first dog so I wasn't sure if I was doing things right! Thanks for all the support. How do I add more pics? I think I've taken more pics of Archie than my human child lol.

Go to the photo and video forum and post as many as you want to

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

You hit a button in the reply box it looks like a photograph, and then you can add photos to threads :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online