1st English Bulldog-facing some challanges...

BullieGrandma

Nov 17, 2014
Westerville, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elenor Rigby aka Ellie
Hi. My daughter and I have added an English Bulldog to our family. Ellie was born 5/10/14. She's doing fairly well on housetraining. My main issue is her chewing. So far, she's chewed/eaten 2 end tables. She has chew toys, rawhide chews, toys so there is plenty of approved items for her to chew on. Wondering if it could be boredom? Any insight would be MOST appreciated.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Bullies can be chewers unfortunately… I have owned several, and some seem to LOVE furniture more than others. First of all PLEASE do not give your bullies rawhide chews, many bullies have choked on these… we recommend nylabones or antlers. I use biter apple spray to put on furniture legs to keep them from chewing on them, some dogs hate it but others seem to like the taste of it. Rotate your chew toy items so that she doesn't get bored w/the same old things… and be consistent when redirecting her to chewing her toys instead of furniture or other things that are not allowed. Good luck...

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Welcome to EBN Bully Grandma and Elenor Rigby. Yes my Bentley was chewing on the fringe string of a floor runner this morning and drove me absolutely nuts. You really have to keep an eye on what bullies put in their mouths because it is just about anything despite all the toys they might have. We too use Nylabones and antlers. We stay away from rawhide as they are a choking hazard.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN .... great advice given to you. Get rid of the raw hide and also avoid bully sticks... both are bad news for bulldogs.

Nylabones, Kongs, antlers and marrow bones are best. Lots of correction and redirect. get a spray bottle and fill with water, when she starts to chew on something she should not, give a squirt to the side of the face with a firm NO... they learn quickly not to touch that item

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome2: ellie is just at teething age now, so it is necessary to keep a watch on her and as suggested, plenty of nylabone durabones and tough non-edible toys. If you keep after her and substitute with things she is allowed to chew, once her second teeth are in-she (hopefully) will have learned what is not allowed. You have to be vigilant about watching and correcting her.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Nylabones, and Kong toys are good for bullies, absolutely no rawhides, pig ears, or bully sticks, they are dangerous to bullies. Every bully I know has customizes someones house somewhere, it's a bully thing. LOL Seriously though, I would crate her when you are gone and keep her in your sight when you are home, this will help with the furniture chewing.

OP
B

BullieGrandma

Nov 17, 2014
Westerville, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elenor Rigby aka Ellie
Thank you all SOOOOOOOOOOOO much. All rawhides have been removed to the trash. All of Ellie's "big girl" teeth are in. She's a sneaky quiet chewer. I was sitting on the couch, she was laying on my feet and chewing the corner of the end table without my hearing her. Needless to say she has taught me a new understanding of "in your sight"... I now understand that to mean being able to see both ends at all times. As she's up to at least 30 pounds I'm also thinking that it may be time for a bigger crate for her. Maybe Santa Paws will leave one early.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,
Welcome. You will find lots of opinions and advice here. Find out what works for you. As for the rawhide's and bullie sticks, those are def considered a no-no.
As for the chewing, eye's on all the time. And yes, they do learn.
My opinion: I do not use a spray bottle. Here where I live it is so hot that in the summer I use a spray bottle to cool them off on car trips or just even around the house. To use a spray bottle as a detriment/consequence treatment prevents being able to use as a positive reward in another case. In stead, I use a empty water bottle with a few coins or pebbles. It is not meant to scare, it is only meant to be something to break their concentration on what they are doing (chewing), and then the immediate re-direct to something else. And it is also VERY important to follow-up with lots of positive reinforcement for the new action.

Immediate, prompt, consistent, patience, Love, reward, time..... Bulldogs!

OP
B

BullieGrandma

Nov 17, 2014
Westerville, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elenor Rigby aka Ellie
Where can I get an apartment?? I work at home so this would be great for my office and give her more room than a crate.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Weesie bought them from Dr's Foster & Smith online. When the boys get tire they slip off and go to the apartment. We use to put the divider in but they like it better together. It's really nice when we go out of town because the apartment come apart and fits easy in the trunk. Ralphie

KorysMom

Nov 19, 2014
Belton, Missouri
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kory
I sure know my bulldog used to be a chewer. Now we have tons of nylabones, chew toys, and even wooden blocks. My dad one day was doing some house work and was cutting up 2X4 and my bulldog got a left over block. And let me tell you she just loves those things. Another thing is my bulldog loves water bottles. After I have drank a water bottle I give it to her. Now be sure to take the lid off or they will chew it off and maybe swallow it. The only thing is with the water bottle it won't last long with a bulldog so just be careful and keep an eye on them.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Hi. My daughter and I have added an English Bulldog to our family. Ellie was born 5/10/14. She's doing fairly well on housetraining. My main issue is her chewing. So far, she's chewed/eaten 2 end tables. She has chew toys, rawhide chews, toys so there is plenty of approved items for her to chew on. Wondering if it could be boredom? Any insight would be MOST appreciated.

The gang has given you such awesome advice. If you're thinking it's boredom...remember that a tired bulldog is a well behaved bulldog (for the most part). Not sure how much time and space you have but I would suggest that you take 5-10 minutes here and there throughout the day and devote it to wearing her out. Some days, we would train Goob to sit, lay down, and stay. Then we would walk across the hall or the yard and have him run to us for his treat. It was a great training activity and it also allowed him to run off some of that puppy energy. We would do it about 10 times or so which would take less than 5 minutes. You might be surprised how many 5 minute play breaks you can fit into your schedule. If you're cooking and things are coming to a boil,sauteing, or baking...play break. Working on paperwork....when you get up to get a drink or go to the bathroom...play break. Cleaning/ doing laundry....I give him a play break before I vacuum.

I noticed that the few times Goob would get destructive was when he took things under the table. He would be chewing his approved toy under there and I figured everything was fine. UNTIL I looked at the table leg and saw him switch from his toy to the leg ever so subtly. After that, I put a sheet on the carpet 20140728_194838.jpgand then placed all of his toys on the sheet. If he took the toy off, I would take the toy and place it back on the sheet. Was it tiresome? Yes! But he figured it out.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
As always....
even after so many years of owning EBD's, I STILL learn something new here.

:yes4:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.