Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
harveyspecter1.jpeg1st posting here. Please assist a newbie english bulldog owner.

Just received my puppy last sunday. I love the dog dearly. It is starting to chew on things. My furniture legs, edge of our wall, etc. I have given it a toy to chew on, a teething rubber bone and he likes empty water plastic bottles especially when there is a crunchy noise when he bites to it.

How do I keep him occupied to avoid on chewing my furniture.

Appreciate all comments.:whew:

Last edited:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well, I wish I could be more encouraging but this is kinda what bullies do. I don't know where you are located, but if it is not too hot outside and He is old enough to have received all of his vaccinations, you could take him for a little walk. A tired bully is a good bully. If not, you have to stay on top of him at all times and constantly redirect him when he starts to chew. Right when you catch him chewing a stern NO and then give him a nylar bone so he knows what is appropriate to chew on. Good luck. I would love to see some pics of your new baby.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, I wish I could be more encouraging but this is kinda what bullies do. I don't know where you are located, but if it is not too hot outside and He is old enough to have received all of his vaccinations, you could take him for a little walk. A tired bully is a good bully. If not, you have to stay on top of him at all times and constantly redirect him when he starts to chew. Right when you catch him chewing a stern NO and then give him a nylar bone so he knows what is appropriate to chew on. Good luck. I would love to see some pics of your new baby.
[MENTION=12554]harveyspecter[/MENTION] -- :welcome3: to EBN!! ^^^^ Rosalie gave perfect advice, redirect with a toy and a firn NO, keep on him and he will everntually get it. Patience is key

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:hiya:Welcome! When you have a pup, you have got to keep an eye on him at all times. Just like a toddler. As soon as he starts to chew on something that is not allowed-you must say "no no-here chew this" and give him a safe toy to chew on. You really should have a crate for when you are not home-or when you are tired of following him around. A crate is the safest place for a pup, when no one is there watching him. It will be a lot of repetitive work, until after he loses his puppy teeth, but worth it in the long run! Good Luck and don't give up!!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Welcome to the forum - you have received a fantastic advice -offering chewing toys instead was always my "way to deal " with puppies xx

baileysdawgs

Aug 7, 2014
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cody, Gemma, Dixie, Teddy
Hey there - our puppies like chewing on our shoes/feet and chair legs. We've found that keeping a spray bottle that makes a light mist (not direct/heavy spray) nearby does the trick - whey they start to chew something they're not supposed to we spray them and firmly say "No" and then redirect them to something they're allowed to chew on. Of course they forget 20 minutes later :) so you have to keep at it for a few days/weeks but eventually it sinks in and they stick to their toys. I've also learned to provide a wide variety - they don't want to chew on the same kind of toy all the time! We have rope toys, hard rubber kong-style toys, toys that squeak, toys that are stuffed, varying sized and textured balls...you name it! Good luck! :)

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Everyone is right on the money but I'll add, if he's starting to damage furniture, walls, shoes etc. Keep telling him no and redirecting him, but sneak in a quick spray of bitter apple onto an item he's ready to bite just as he's going in. One or two times with a mouthfull of that helps them get the point. :)

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My Jake doesn't like peanut butter. So I tainted what he likes to bite with PB and that solves my issue when I can't watch him like hawk.

mindyclax

Jul 28, 2014
Bahahaha He looks too wiped out to chew on stuff. Love these pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.