Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy or Adopt

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hoss (Should be Gorgeous)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Puppy or Adopt

Hi everyone. I found this site and thought this would be a great place to start. We are wanting a new pet and I have always wanted an English Bulldog, growing up we always had boxers. We are trying to determine if to adopt an older dog or get a puppy. We have researched the care and understand they can be high maintenance. If we decide to get a puppy could you advise who to go through? I have been on the internet and everyone will ship to us but I don't feel comfortable with that route. You are only looking at a picture and you don't know who/where your money is going nor the conditions they are in. As for adopting, same issues. It's me, my husband and son who is 13.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. By the way we are in Nashville TN.

Allison

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hoss (Should be Gorgeous)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi New and Need Help

Hello to everyone. I am new to this site and I posted a message on the wrong board. We are looking to get a new pet. I have always wanted an English Bulldog, growing up we always had boxers. We have done our research and are trying to decide to get a puppy or adopt. I have looked on the internet but I really don't want to go that route. Everyone will ship to you but you do no know the condition of the puppy and you don't know who/where the money is going. It's just looking at a picture. We live in Nashville TN anyone who knows of a reputable place to start, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

I can tell you a little about us, its me, my husband and our son (13).

Thank,
    Allison

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hi New and Need Help

Hello Allison and welcome to EBN. Most definitely peruse this website and more specifically the home page in the right margin. You may also look at the AKC website to learn more about the breed as well as breeders. Most states have a bulldog rescue if you are looking to adopt. Bullies are classified as a non-sporting class and deemed "family companion" meaning they will look a burglar in the butt and want to play. Bullies require alot of maintenance in order to maintain their health. I hope this helps and that you can provide a forever home for a bully dog. I do hope more of the forum chimes in as well.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I'm no help, but I aplaude you on not buying "on line". You need to see the breeder, the living conditions, the dogs parents or at least the mom and remember, still with a living thing you will never have quarantees. And never take a dog from a breeder that doesn't want to know anything about you...

Country
    UK
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taffy
    Likes (Received)

Hi, Taffy is first dog I have ever owned and he's amazing. Their temperament is so chilled out and he's great with people, the only person he barks at is out next door neighbour lol but I think it's because he sees him behind a little fence and can't go say hello.

I would do the research, read some books check the potential medical costs etc. we have insurance but in 7 months he's had cherry eye in both eyes which cost the best part of £900GBP. That was included in the insurance but just an example of the cost.

I would definitely go see a puppy, there's no way you can buy one "to order" so to speak. Go see the people see if they truly love what they're doing. Ours was a really nice family who had 4 and sent pictures weekly over the first 9 weeks. They were genuinely nice people and they were more than happy to share lots of info with us.

The next time we go back to Wales we will take Taffy to see his mum

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Puppy or Adopt

I have two bullies and I have done both. We bought our first bully and rescued our second. I think it really depends on what your preference is. I personally would never buy another dog. We have always rescued but we wanted a bulldog and I had no idea there were so many in rescue. My bad. You can get a bully of all ages through rescue although a really young pup is rare. If you decide you want to get one from a breeder, I absolutely do not recommend shipping. Try to research breeders local to your area or within a reasonable driving distance. Whichever way you decide I would recommend researching for a while around here to get a feel for what a bully needs. Your already halfway there being familiar with boxers so jump right in and good luck with your decision. Being owned by a bulldog will be life changing. There isn't anything better. Any question please ask away.
    My smooshy face boy!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    I have two bullies and I have done both. We bought our first bully and rescued our second. I think it really depends on what your preference is. I personally would never buy another dog. We have always rescued but we wanted a bulldog and I had no idea there were so many in rescue. My bad. You can get a bully of all ages through rescue although a really young pup is rare. If you decide you want to get one from a breeder, I absolutely do not recommend shipping. Try to research breeders local to your area or within a reasonable driving distance. Whichever way you decide I would recommend researching for a while around here to get a feel for what a bully needs. Your already halfway there being familiar with boxers so jump right in and good luck with your decision. Being owned by a bulldog will be life changing. There isn't anything better. Any question please ask away.

Check out BUMPER rescue out of New York they adopt all over and will help with volunteers to drive/transport if you were to be approved. As for puppies... Maybe @ddnene or @Manydogs would know of a local breeder you can research
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Excellent advice above, I think there is a rescue close to you, smokey mountains bulldog rescue. Bumper bulldog rescue also rescues and places bulldogs all over the USA too so you may want to check them out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to EBN, I totally agree with not buying off a picture on the internet and thank you for considering adoption. There are hundreds of Bullys out there that need good homes.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

to EBN Allison… I live right outside of Nashville in Clarksville, TN. We got our first bully from a breeder in Elkton, KY but sadly he passed away… we got Wally from a breeder in Ohio, and she drove him down to our house. My advice to you is look on the AKC website for EB breeders that they recommend, and if I remember correctly there were 2 located in the Nashville area (one in Brentwood). There is also Smoky Mountain Bulldog Rescue in Knoxville. I agree w/everyone do NOT have a bully shipped to you, it's extremely dangerous for the puppy. You need to see the breeders environment, and get a good look at the pups. I also own a boxer Roxie, absolutely LOVE both breeds of dogs. If you have any questions please send me a PM… and good luck on your search

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N (bg), Lilly (corgi - 09.24.08 - 03.07.13), Missy (mixed), Mickey (rescue bd - RIP 02.13.15)
    Likes (Received)

Iwould adopt. There are so many bully out there that have been abandoned for no good reason and are looking for a loving home. The adoption agencies thoroughly check each bully and will inform you of any medical issues. These dogs usually are already house trained, crate trained and just looking for someone to give them a chance. I bought my 1st bully and adopted my 2nd. I too will never buy another bully I will only adopt from now on. My adopted bully is so affectionate and you can see the gratitude in his eyes for giving him a loving home.

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome!! Any of those "breeders" that are willing to ship, I would avoid. I did go to AZ to get Bertha and flew back with her, but she was in the cabin with me. I was a nervous wreck all the way and it was a 2 hour non-stop!! It is important that you bond with the breeder if you chose to get a pup

I'm a good girl, I promise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads