ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Re: Desperate in need of help

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES!!! We decided to adopt a bulldog and I found the perfect 1...HE IS GORGEOUS I MEAN GORGEOUS. JUST LOOK AT HIM! I found him with Smoky Mnt Rescue, his name is Hoss and he is a man of his name. (His picture is below) I spoke with the contact for him for a good while about him. Of course there is 1 issue that I need some feedback from all of you. Hoss is blind in both eyes. Have any of you had a pet that was blind? I never have, my biggest concern is the all the steps we have our condo not to mention we are building a house that will be completed in Oct that will have some steps but not as many. I'm having a fence built in the back yard, but there are a few steps to go down off the deck. He will mainly be an inside dog but I still have concerns, I want to be fair to him. The contact is emailing the vet so I can call her Monday for her feedback but I would like someone who has had experience with a pet that his blind. I work out of my house during the summer with the exception of 2 days a week, so he will be spending the majority of his time with me. I work for a football team and am in the office during season and gone all weekend for away games. Is it fair to put him through 2 moves, a house with steps and the person he would be used to gone during a lot. I ask b/c of his special needs? All feedback is appreciated

Allison

1404356163.JPG

Oh WOW… well Congratulations is definitely in order!!! I'm not sure if we have any members that have a blind bully… [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] ?!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=12354]AllisonH[/MENTION] I had a Shih Tsu, who went blind at 5 years old-due to diabetes. We moved a couple of times after her blindness. I would put her on a tight leash(hold it up straight) and show her all around and let her sniff and talk and tell her what room and "show" her where things were. We always had a fenced yard-I would walk her around the fence line to get her acquainted with a new yard. She developed really good hearing and would move her head from side to side-like radar. Sometimes we called her Stevie Wonder! She seemed to manage very well. She live for 8 years after going blind. She was blind and deaf her last year-and that was a little more difficult.
If you have the extra patience to take this on, I think he would do well. His foster parent would probably be the best judge of Hoss(he is beautiful) as far as him handling
changing situations. As far as your steps-I assume you will be going up and down the steps with him and he will be leashed. Keep a tight leash and count steps with him. When you move to your house-do the same, and when he learns his way, you will be able to let him go out in the yard and be leash free. With a blind dog, you need to talk to him alot and explain where and what. At least that is what I did-and talk when approaching, so they don't get startled. Make sure all that come around talk first before touch. (I talk to my dogs all the time, anyway!) Best of luck to you.

OP
AllisonH

AllisonH

Jul 12, 2014
Nashville, TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hoss (Should be Gorgeous)
Thank You for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it. From what the contact told me he is not with a foster family he has and is still with the vet so he has been in a cage. Other than him being blind he really doesn't have any problems that aren't standard with bulldogs.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thank You for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it. From what the contact told me he is not with a foster family he has and is still with the vet so he has been in a cage. Other than him being blind he really doesn't have any problems that aren't standard with bulldogs.
Congrats!! Hoss is a beautiful boy. It sounds like it could be a match made in heaven. The only thing I would mentio to the vet is that for part of the year you will be away for weekends. Are there going to be other family members taking care of him at this time? If so, no big deal. If not and he is boarded, he may become confused. You will never be sorry you rescued him. The experience of a rescue bully is like no other.

OP
AllisonH

AllisonH

Jul 12, 2014
Nashville, TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hoss (Should be Gorgeous)
Yes, my husband and son will be home they rarely go with me anymore. AND, they better take very good care of him. I know I am jumping the gun but I went today and bought him a bed to put in my office and some toys. I thought about sending a tshirt of mine to the vet so he could sleep with and get used to the smell. I may have lot my mind but I just can't quit thinking about getting him here.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Re: Hi New and Need Help

Hello Allison and welcome to EBN. Most definitely peruse this website and more specifically the home page in the right margin. You may also look at the AKC website to learn more about the breed as well as breeders. Most states have a bulldog rescue if you are looking to adopt. Bullies are classified as a non-sporting class and deemed "family companion" meaning they will look a burglar in the butt and want to play. Bullies require alot of maintenance in order to maintain their health. I hope this helps and that you can provide a forever home for a bully dog. I do hope more of the forum chimes in as well.
"Look a burglar in the butt". That sounds about right.

I have done both, adopted and now have a puppy. Let me tell you puppies are a PAIN, but if you have the time and the patience they are great. The two that I adopted were both personal adoptions and were both around 3 years old. They had no problem fitting right in and were in what I like to call the bulldog "zen" stage. There are good and challenging things with doing either. I plan on adopting again hopefully within the next year.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.