New Puppy or Adopt

AllisonH

Jul 12, 2014
Nashville, TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hoss (Should be Gorgeous)
Hi everyone. I found this site and thought this would be a great place to start. We are wanting a new pet and I have always wanted an English Bulldog, growing up we always had boxers. We are trying to determine if to adopt an older dog or get a puppy. We have researched the care and understand they can be high maintenance. If we decide to get a puppy could you advise who to go through? I have been on the internet and everyone will ship to us but I don't feel comfortable with that route. You are only looking at a picture and you don't know who/where your money is going nor the conditions they are in. As for adopting, same issues. It's me, my husband and son who is 13.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. By the way we are in Nashville TN.

Allison

OP
AllisonH

AllisonH

Jul 12, 2014
Nashville, TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi New and Need Help

Hello to everyone. I am new to this site and I posted a message on the wrong board. We are looking to get a new pet. I have always wanted an English Bulldog, growing up we always had boxers. We have done our research and are trying to decide to get a puppy or adopt. I have looked on the internet but I really don't want to go that route. Everyone will ship to you but you do no know the condition of the puppy and you don't know who/where the money is going. It's just looking at a picture. We live in Nashville TN anyone who knows of a reputable place to start, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

I can tell you a little about us, its me, my husband and our son (13).

Thank,
Allison

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Re: Hi New and Need Help

Hello Allison and welcome to EBN. Most definitely peruse this website and more specifically the home page in the right margin. You may also look at the AKC website to learn more about the breed as well as breeders. Most states have a bulldog rescue if you are looking to adopt. Bullies are classified as a non-sporting class and deemed "family companion" meaning they will look a burglar in the butt and want to play. Bullies require alot of maintenance in order to maintain their health. I hope this helps and that you can provide a forever home for a bully dog. I do hope more of the forum chimes in as well.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto

I'm no help, but I aplaude you on not buying "on line". You need to see the breeder, the living conditions, the dogs parents or at least the mom and remember, still with a living thing you will never have quarantees. And never take a dog from a breeder that doesn't want to know anything about you...

TheDangerousKid

Jun 29, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Taffy

Hi, Taffy is first dog I have ever owned and he's amazing. Their temperament is so chilled out and he's great with people, the only person he barks at is out next door neighbour lol but I think it's because he sees him behind a little fence and can't go say hello.

I would do the research, read some books check the potential medical costs etc. we have insurance but in 7 months he's had cherry eye in both eyes which cost the best part of £900GBP. That was included in the insurance but just an example of the cost.

I would definitely go see a puppy, there's no way you can buy one "to order" so to speak. Go see the people see if they truly love what they're doing. Ours was a really nice family who had 4 and sent pictures weekly over the first 9 weeks. They were genuinely nice people and they were more than happy to share lots of info with us.

The next time we go back to Wales we will take Taffy to see his mum
qenegama.jpg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have two bullies and I have done both. We bought our first bully and rescued our second. I think it really depends on what your preference is. I personally would never buy another dog. We have always rescued but we wanted a bulldog and I had no idea there were so many in rescue. My bad. You can get a bully of all ages through rescue although a really young pup is rare. If you decide you want to get one from a breeder, I absolutely do not recommend shipping. Try to research breeders local to your area or within a reasonable driving distance. Whichever way you decide I would recommend researching for a while around here to get a feel for what a bully needs. Your already halfway there being familiar with boxers so jump right in and good luck with your decision. Being owned by a bulldog will be life changing. There isn't anything better. Any question please ask away.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have two bullies and I have done both. We bought our first bully and rescued our second. I think it really depends on what your preference is. I personally would never buy another dog. We have always rescued but we wanted a bulldog and I had no idea there were so many in rescue. My bad. You can get a bully of all ages through rescue although a really young pup is rare. If you decide you want to get one from a breeder, I absolutely do not recommend shipping. Try to research breeders local to your area or within a reasonable driving distance. Whichever way you decide I would recommend researching for a while around here to get a feel for what a bully needs. Your already halfway there being familiar with boxers so jump right in and good luck with your decision. Being owned by a bulldog will be life changing. There isn't anything better. Any question please ask away.

:goodpost: Check out BUMPER rescue out of New York they adopt all over and will help with volunteers to drive/transport if you were to be approved. As for puppies... Maybe [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] or [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] would know of a local breeder you can research

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Excellent advice above, I think there is a rescue close to you, smokey mountains bulldog rescue. Bumper bulldog rescue also rescues and places bulldogs all over the USA too so you may want to check them out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Welcome to EBN, I totally agree with not buying off a picture on the internet and thank you for considering adoption. There are hundreds of Bullys out there that need good homes.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN Allison… I live right outside of Nashville in Clarksville, TN. We got our first bully from a breeder in Elkton, KY but sadly he passed away… we got Wally from a breeder in Ohio, and she drove him down to our house. My advice to you is look on the AKC website for EB breeders that they recommend, and if I remember correctly there were 2 located in the Nashville area (one in Brentwood). There is also Smoky Mountain Bulldog Rescue in Knoxville. I agree w/everyone do NOT have a bully shipped to you, it's extremely dangerous for the puppy. You need to see the breeders environment, and get a good look at the pups. I also own a boxer Roxie, absolutely LOVE both breeds of dogs. If you have any questions please send me a PM… and good luck on your search ;)

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Iwould adopt. There are so many bully out there that have been abandoned for no good reason and are looking for a loving home. The adoption agencies thoroughly check each bully and will inform you of any medical issues. These dogs usually are already house trained, crate trained and just looking for someone to give them a chance. I bought my 1st bully and adopted my 2nd. I too will never buy another bully I will only adopt from now on. My adopted bully is so affectionate and you can see the gratitude in his eyes for giving him a loving home.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Welcome!! Any of those "breeders" that are willing to ship, I would avoid. I did go to AZ to get Bertha and flew back with her, but she was in the cabin with me. I was a nervous wreck all the way and it was a 2 hour non-stop!! It is important that you bond with the breeder if you chose to get a pup

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Since you're asking, I would say adopt an older bully. The bulldog rescues are just overflowing with bullies that need a good home.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I too have had 2 different experiences..my older boy Fatso while not a rescue was a rehomed bully..we are his third family and he was 1 1/2 when we brought him home and was 100% trained which was great because he is the first dog we had as a family..but being an older dog he wasn't very interested in my kids and didn't like other dogs or people very much but we love him very much and just make sure we keep him in a controlled environment (we have to put him upstairs when people come over) So a year later we brought home a 4 month puppy for the kids..we got him from a local breeder we found online and she turned out to be a creep..When we brought Romeo home he was full of parasites worms, fleas, mites and had two infected eyes from a botched cherry eye surgery but after a rough first year he has turned out to be a funny, loving well adjusted family dog...but that being said I will only adopt from now on..I prefer an older dog to a puppy

OP
AllisonH

AllisonH

Jul 12, 2014
Nashville, TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Desperate in need of help

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES!!! We decided to adopt a bulldog and I found the perfect 1...HE IS GORGEOUS I MEAN GORGEOUS. JUST LOOK AT HIM! I found him with Smoky Mnt Rescue, his name is Hoss and he is a man of his name. (His picture is below) I spoke with the contact for him for a good while about him. Of course there is 1 issue that I need some feedback from all of you. Hoss is blind in both eyes. Have any of you had a pet that was blind? I never have, my biggest concern is the all the steps we have our condo not to mention we are building a house that will be completed in Oct that will have some steps but not as many. I'm having a fence built in the back yard, but there are a few steps to go down off the deck. He will mainly be an inside dog but I still have concerns, I want to be fair to him. The contact is emailing the vet so I can call her Monday for her feedback but I would like someone who has had experience with a pet that his blind. I work out of my house during the summer with the exception of 2 days a week, so he will be spending the majority of his time with me. I work for a football team and am in the office during season and gone all weekend for away games. Is it fair to put him through 2 moves, a house with steps and the person he would be used to gone during a lot. I ask b/c of his special needs? All feedback is appreciated

Allison

1404356163.JPG

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online