LordNelson

May 28, 2014
Austin, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Howdy all,
I adopted an English Bulldog (who I renamed to: Lord Nelson) back in January.
From what I gather the little guy was in a home with a lot of dogs and a lot of kids and was left outside most of the time. He was heartworm positive and had a bit of a skin condition.

Fast forward to now, and he is all current on shots, and has completed heartworm treatment (and is HW negative). He's gained about 8 pounds since I got him, and is now a svelte and healthy 65lbs. He is a bit tall and lean, and all white aside from a couple of little patches on his ears.

It's just he and I, so now he has a nice, calm quiet place, and has really settled in. I am consistently amazed at how calm he is, and how happy he seems to be just laying around nearby.

I don't think he really had toys of his own before, so we are still learning that, but he will now go and grab a toy on his own and play. He is still my little white shadow however, and if I walk to any room of the house, he will wake up from a dead sleep to follow me :D

Anyway, we live in Austin, Tx and are glad to have found this site.

Things he likes:
Daily walks, belly rubs, apples, bananas, FOOD

Things he dislikes:
when I move from room to room too quickly and he doesn't get a good nap in, in between.

Thanks all!

Edit: Here is a pic (hopefully)

Nelson-grass.jpg

Last edited:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You're a life saver, thanks for taking him in. Good job, he sounds happy! ::welcome3: to the family!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
GOD bless you for rescuing Lord Nelson...lucky bully!

Welcome to EBN, such a great group of people, lots of fun too :)

EBN's got a few members in Austin (and in Texas), I'm in Temple
so drop in if you're coming thru, Ms Cami loves to play!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
:welcome4: What great news to hear your baby is safe and on the road to recovery!! What a blessing you found each other.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. We have several members in the ATX area lurking about. :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: thank you for rescuing this sweet boy!

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Welcome..I'm also a newbie..And Thank Goodness your baby was rescued by you and into a loving home :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Welcome Jay and Nelson, You did a Great Thing adopting Nelson, he is in a Wonderful home with you, and Lots of Love you both have for each other, that is so Wonderful.:buddies::smileywelcome::hiya:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:smileywelcome:to a great place to be!

mdwilson1117

Jun 7, 2014
S.W. Missouri
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Boozer, Captain, Sarge, JenNay
Welcome. I am new here as well. We recently had a beautiful boy, who we renamed Captain, come into our lives. He just tested positive for HW yesterday. Scares me to death. He also has been having seizures. I guess now I know why his previous humans abandoned him. It breaks my heart. In reading your post about your baby begin HW neg, it brought new light into my world again. Praying my Captain has the same outcome.

OP
L

LordNelson

May 28, 2014
Austin, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Thanks all. I should have also mentioned that Nelson was 3yrs 9months when I adopted him, so is a bit over 4yrs now. A lot of folks told me that bulldogs are stubborn and hard to train, and that I was making a huge mistake, but I'm happy to say that at least for now, they were all wrong :) So even getting an older (non puppy) dog, and training him doesn't seem bad; then again, I could just be lucky and have a great dog!

And for mdwilson, hang in there. It's frustrating that heartworms are relatively easy to prevent, yet folks get careless and let their dogs suffer.

For our heartworm treatment we did the 2 dose method. He had a first dose, which killed the male worms (and weakened the lady ones), then 4 weeks passed, and he had another large dose, then 4 more weeks of meds. Every other day for that 8 week stretch I gave him vet-prescribed meds. While the vets said to keep his heart rate low, and confined to crate. I didn't fully follow that as I didn't want him to feel isolated from me.

My main change was that I did NOT take him for walks, or play rough (getting him excited). He is crated during day while I am at work, so that wasn't an issue. But when I got home we basically just hung out together. On the days of his treatments, for about 24-36hrs afterwards, he felt terrible -- so I let him up on the couch with me, and we did marathon-viewings of TV series (Castle in this case).

One last thing, if you have only recently gotten Captain. Before Nelson's first dose, I had been taking him for regular walks, with food right after. I thought that was a good way to bond and help establish the pack. I wouldn't overdo it, but making sure that you have a decent bond before you start whatever treatment also helps.

As for seizures, are they minor headshakes? Nelson had a few of those that cleared up quickly. Certainly read up and ask your vet, but if they are very minor, then patience and calm, and giving your bully a bit of time may help. I can't stress enough how simply being being calm around these guys helps. They seem very in-tune with what their person is feeling, and if you are anxious, then it can translate to them.

Drop me a PM if you'd like to discuss HW treatment (though be warned, I lurk daily, but don't always log in every day), and best wishes.

And thanks again all!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks all. I should have also mentioned that Nelson was 3yrs 9months when I adopted him, so is a bit over 4yrs now. A lot of folks told me that bulldogs are stubborn and hard to train, and that I was making a huge mistake, but I'm happy to say that at least for now, they were all wrong :) So even getting an older (non puppy) dog, and training him doesn't seem bad; then again, I could just be lucky and have a great dog!

And for mdwilson, hang in there. It's frustrating that heartworms are relatively easy to prevent, yet folks get careless and let their dogs suffer.

For our heartworm treatment we did the 2 dose method. He had a first dose, which killed the male worms (and weakened the lady ones), then 4 weeks passed, and he had another large dose, then 4 more weeks of meds. Every other day for that 8 week stretch I gave him vet-prescribed meds. While the vets said to keep his heart rate low, and confined to crate. I didn't fully follow that as I didn't want him to feel isolated from me.

My main change was that I did NOT take him for walks, or play rough (getting him excited). He is crated during day while I am at work, so that wasn't an issue. But when I got home we basically just hung out together. On the days of his treatments, for about 24-36hrs afterwards, he felt terrible -- so I let him up on the couch with me, and we did marathon-viewings of TV series (Castle in this case).

One last thing, if you have only recently gotten Captain. Before Nelson's first dose, I had been taking him for regular walks, with food right after. I thought that was a good way to bond and help establish the pack. I wouldn't overdo it, but making sure that you have a decent bond before you start whatever treatment also helps.

As for seizures, are they minor headshakes? Nelson had a few of those that cleared up quickly. Certainly read up and ask your vet, but if they are very minor, then patience and calm, and giving your bully a bit of time may help. I can't stress enough how simply being being calm around these guys helps. They seem very in-tune with what their person is feeling, and if you are anxious, then it can translate to them.

Drop me a PM if you'd like to discuss HW treatment (though be warned, I lurk daily, but don't always log in every day), and best wishes.

And thanks again all!

THANK YOU!!! What a great post!! I had never known about heartworm treatments before. Thank you.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

And for mdwilson, hang in there. It's frustrating that heartworms are relatively easy to prevent, yet folks get careless and let their dogs suffer. ....cont.

Thank you, Jay, for a great reply and filled with wise counsel.

Would like to echo what you've said about adopting/rescuing/rehoming
older bullies, PLEASE DO SO! I got lucky enough to get my 1st bully who
needed a home while I researched & looked for a puppy (everyone's dream).
I got Brutus instead (4-6 y/o) who'd had multiple homes before me, no fault
of his! Sadly, we only had 7 blissful months before I lost him but we packed a
lot of love & life in them. It changed forever my focus, I had no idea how many
abandoned bullies were out there! After dealing with my grief, I put the word
out there and got a call from Davidh, a breeder here. He had a friend who'd
adopted a retired breeder bitch but now needed a home for her. So Cami came
to live with me a year ago, just turned 6 and has brought life, love & grins to
my heart & home. Both these bullies have been smart, full of personality & GOOD
dogs-the best! I feel so very lucky & blessed & will rehome/adopt as often as I can.
If I had the income, I'd have two...or more. GOD bless all of you & your bullies <3

@Davidh

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He's sure a beauty!! Nice to meet you and Lord Nelson!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.