Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another new member from Texas!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another new member from Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by LordNelson View Post
    Thanks all. I should have also mentioned that Nelson was 3yrs 9months when I adopted him, so is a bit over 4yrs now. A lot of folks told me that bulldogs are stubborn and hard to train, and that I was making a huge mistake, but I'm happy to say that at least for now, they were all wrong So even getting an older (non puppy) dog, and training him doesn't seem bad; then again, I could just be lucky and have a great dog!

And for mdwilson, hang in there. It's frustrating that heartworms are relatively easy to prevent, yet folks get careless and let their dogs suffer.

For our heartworm treatment we did the 2 dose method. He had a first dose, which killed the male worms (and weakened the lady ones), then 4 weeks passed, and he had another large dose, then 4 more weeks of meds. Every other day for that 8 week stretch I gave him vet-prescribed meds. While the vets said to keep his heart rate low, and confined to crate. I didn't fully follow that as I didn't want him to feel isolated from me.

My main change was that I did NOT take him for walks, or play rough (getting him excited). He is crated during day while I am at work, so that wasn't an issue. But when I got home we basically just hung out together. On the days of his treatments, for about 24-36hrs afterwards, he felt terrible -- so I let him up on the couch with me, and we did marathon-viewings of TV series (Castle in this case).

One last thing, if you have only recently gotten Captain. Before Nelson's first dose, I had been taking him for regular walks, with food right after. I thought that was a good way to bond and help establish the pack. I wouldn't overdo it, but making sure that you have a decent bond before you start whatever treatment also helps.

As for seizures, are they minor headshakes? Nelson had a few of those that cleared up quickly. Certainly read up and ask your vet, but if they are very minor, then patience and calm, and giving your bully a bit of time may help. I can't stress enough how simply being being calm around these guys helps. They seem very in-tune with what their person is feeling, and if you are anxious, then it can translate to them.

Drop me a PM if you'd like to discuss HW treatment (though be warned, I lurk daily, but don't always log in every day), and best wishes.

And thanks again all!
    THANK YOU!!! What a great post!! I had never known about heartworm treatments before. Thank you.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=LordNelson;508223]Thanks all. I should have also mentioned that Nelson was 3yrs 9months when I adopted him, so is a bit over 4yrs now. A lot of folks told me that bulldogs are stubborn and hard to train, and that I was making a huge mistake, but I'm happy to say that at least for now, they were all wrong So even getting an older (non puppy) dog, and training him doesn't seem bad; then again, I could just be lucky and have a great dog!

And for mdwilson, hang in there. It's frustrating that heartworms are relatively easy to prevent, yet folks get careless and let their dogs suffer. ....cont.

Thank you, Jay, for a great reply and filled with wise counsel.

Would like to echo what you've said about adopting/rescuing/rehoming
    older bullies, PLEASE DO SO! I got lucky enough to get my 1st bully who
    needed a home while I researched & looked for a puppy (everyone's dream).
    I got Brutus instead (4-6 y/o) who'd had multiple homes before me, no fault
    of his! Sadly, we only had 7 blissful months before I lost him but we packed a
    lot of love & life in them. It changed forever my focus, I had no idea how many
    abandoned bullies were out there! After dealing with my grief, I put the word
    out there and got a call from Davidh, a breeder here. He had a friend who'd
    adopted a retired breeder bitch but now needed a home for her. So Cami came
    to live with me a year ago, just turned 6 and has brought life, love & grins to
    my heart & home. Both these bullies have been smart, full of personality & GOOD
    dogs-the best! I feel so very lucky & blessed & will rehome/adopt as often as I can.
    If I had the income, I'd have two...or more. GOD bless all of you & your bullies <3

@Davidh

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

He's sure a beauty!! Nice to meet you and Lord Nelson!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Samantha
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    June
    Likes (Received)

I'm in Austin (Round Rock) You should join the Austin Bulldog Meetup page on FB if you haven't already!

I'm in Austin as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads