Bullymommy62

May 25, 2014
Austin, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fat Louie
Hello everyone,
I am so happy to be apart of this group!!! :newhere: I am the proud momma of my big boy "Fat Louie", who is a little over a year now, and trust me he lives up to that name. I had no clue for the last year that there was a resource like this that I could of utilized until just recently. With me going to nursing school, having two boys (well hubby makes 3), going through chemo and the fur babies (hubby's rottie/cat and my fatboy), I apparently live in a bubble lol. We are originally from Ny but settled in Texas due to military life. Once we decided to settle I knew it was my chance to get my Fat Louie! He is such an awesome boy. His personality just lights up a room, he is sweet, funny and wow he can be stubborn! Up until recently life was pretty much bully kisses...... And then that's when I wished I had this site on speed dial!! :sos:

Fat Louie began getting Hot spots, a tail pocket infection, yeast infections, red paws, red face, private part issues etc. you name an allergy it began happening. Which was weird because as a puppy he had no issues. But luckily, I found an english bulldog vet, started collecting remedies, began doing some homework on your advice and learned after many tests that Fat Louie has environment, grain, soy, and corn allergies. We are still on the hunt for a dry food for him due to learning the one we were on didn't help matters but in the end I still would do it all again for my Fat Louie. I can say I have never really felt for an animal like I have for Fat Louie before and now I see why they are so special. :inlove: I hope to learn more from you guys because this bully momma only has her training wheels on!!! Talk to you soon!!
:w00t:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome3::hug:Hi Minah, and welcome to EBN. I'm so glad you found us. Fat Louie is absolutely adorable, I love his outfit, so cute. Wow you sound very busy, and a lot going on. Congratulations on going to school, I'm planning on going back to school in Sept. and know how difficult and challenging that can be, especially when you have a family, and household to run, I'm sorry you're going through Chemo, and hope treatment is going well, and your okay. Sending love and prayers your way.
All the symptoms you describe with Louie are definitely allergy related, and most allergy symptoms that he has, the red paws, the red face, the skin issues, etc are all signs of a food allergy. My female Blossom has allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. We switched our guys food 4 times before we found one that both our guys tolerated. We feed our guys Fromm's Beef Frittata grain free, and they both do really well on this food. Have you read the dog food ratings forum on the home page? It lists and grades all the dog food brands from 6 star and down. When choosing a food, you want to choose a 4 star or better, and you're best to choose a chicken and grain free food, as most bullies are allergic or sensitive to these. Which brand of food are you currently feeding Louie now? We also add 2 Tbsp's of plain unsweetened yogurt to the morning kibble, this is great for digestion, but is also a source of probiotics which help boost the immune system, which helps kill bad bacteria, and helps to fight infections and allergies, we also add 1 Tbsp. of Omega Oils to the evening kibble, you can use salmon oil, cod liver oil, or coconut oil, this is good for the skin, fur, and joints, as well as the brain. We also add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, there are a lot of benefits to ACV, it is a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood. It is also very good for the skin and fur as a final rinse after shampooing, it kills lots of bacteria on the skin, and makes the fur so soft, it also helps them to smell nicer longer in between baths. I like using these things because they are all natural, and inexpensive, and can be bought at the grocery store, drugstore, or a health food store. I hope Louie continues to improve, and you find a food that agrees with him, and he tolerates. It can be very frustrating process to find the right food, and it really is just trial and error. Good luck and keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: and :welcome3: Fat Louie sure is a handsome boy!! So glad you found us

What food are you currently feeding? Are you giving any type of antihistamine (benedryl, Claritin, Zyretc) ?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Welcome. This site has dealt with just about everything! If you have a question or concern.....you can do one of two things. Type the key words into the search section or you can post the question for help. Usually someone will come along and/or tag someone who might be able to help. Using the "@" is how we tag other members. Also....you will notice that [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]'s post has several words that are different color and underlined. Simply click on those words and it will direct you to an area that you can read all about that product! Good luck!

OP
Bullymommy62

Bullymommy62

May 25, 2014
Austin, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fat Louie
Thanks guys for the warm welcome :group hug: I am a super busy lady when it comes to my boys lol. Thank you also for the well wishes with chemo, hopefully just a little longer and then I can have a mastectomy. But I think that's why I love Fat Louie so much because when I may feel down he just lays right with me!!! :tongue:

as of right now Fat Louie is still eating true blue because we have to order the premium dog food due to some stores around town not selling it. But we did start all these natural remedies a couple days ago, so hopefully they begin to work. He loves the yogurt!!!!! But how much dry food should he be eating? His vet said 1 1/4 cup dry morning then the same at night. but if I m adding some yogurt, fresh fruits or veggies plus some other natural remedies once in a while, should it be just a cup for morning and a cup at night? I don't want him to overeat ether lol. He already has a bad habit of drinking his water wayyyyyyy to fast that he throws it up if he slightly walks to fast. I have to find a way to slow him down besides pouring a little water at a time. I just get worried because where we live it can get deathly hot out. I was thinking to maybe buy him a baby pool but do you think he would throw up all the time from drinking that too?? :ponder:

As for antihistamine we just started using Benadryl. It's just I get nervous giving it to him because it's my first time and when I see him get lazy I am nervous something bad may happen. I know ...I'm such a nervous mommy. I try to look at different symptoms if he is having a reaction to Benadryl or other things but it's hard when he is so lazy! I only know red and rash means get rolling with his remedies. Maybe I'll just never sleep again and watch him all day long so I know he is safe from allergies to things. lol jk

OP
Bullymommy62

Bullymommy62

May 25, 2014
Austin, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fat Louie
Oh wow ok great that makes it easier to get in touch with someone if they know a topic or have been through a situation to give information. I am still putting around the website so I may reply to things slower than usual lol.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome4: [MENTION=928]Bullymomma[/MENTION]62 to you and Fat Louie! There are other doggies here that take Benedryl, including mine sometimes, but I haven't seen anyone saying they had a reaction to it. Some may get a little sleepy. Everyone here is very willing to help with any questions or worries you have-and everyone loves pictures! There are bowls for feeding dogs, who eat too fast-they look like a maze. You could try getting one for his water, if he drinks too fast. I had a Belgian who drank too much and would "burp" up water, when she over did it. As for the swimming pool-if he likes a big ball-if you put the ball in the pool, maybe he will keep busy playing with the ball, and not drink all the pool water!! Don't forget, if it's hot out, he can even get too hot if he's outside too long-even in the pool!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and glad you found us. Food is always a hard thing to figure out. Tring to find one that agrees with your baby. I always tell people, if it has corn in it, put it back on the shelf. We feed FROMM Pork and Peas to ours, and they are doing well on it. Good luck in finding the right food for your baby, and I am looking forward in seeing some pics of him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.