First Time Proud Bully Owner. Could use some advice!

brutusrickard14

Apr 30, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
HELLO all Bully owners and lovers alike! My name is Lindsay and my boyfriend's name is Heath. We have recently after years of discussion and waiting until we were really ready for the big choice we have decided to adopts an English Bulldog boy. We are going to pick him up tomorrow, his name will be Brutus, he is 10 weeks old, has champion lines, and of course comes with his AKC papers. I met multiple breeders, did a lot of research, and finally found a breeder i liked and felt was trustworthy. He is about 175 miles away but well worth the drive. I am very interested in keeping up with the Bully community as well as get some "inside info" on what you all have come to know as whats "BEST" for our little baby. We do have one other dog, my rescue i adopted about a year ago named Boobie, he is a terrier mix and is as lovable as they come. He is well trained, great with other dogs, cats, young children, and people all alike. I cannot wait for him to meet his brother tomorrow! I have questions about sleeping arrangements, food choices, best toys, etc. We 90% of the time have someone home with the puppy(ies) and have plenty of time, love, and energy to devote to our growing family. Anyone out there have any suggestions for the best grooming products for Brutus? I would rather wash him at home than have him go to the groomers, have had some bad experiences in the past and would rather just take care of it myself, but would love some product direction. I have looked at a few different food choices and really like Wellness, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, and Natural Balance but haven't tried any of them...any thoughts? I know i am asking a lot but i want the absolute best for my new baby and thought where else would be a better place to go but here.... Please share any ideas you have, crate training vs not, best foods, grooming tips, etc. I would appreciate ALL the help i can get!!!

Thanks!
~Lindsay, Heath, Brutus, and Boobie:D

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Welcome and congratulations to your new family member:) You're going to love this little boy more than you could ever imagine, no joke:tongue:, bulldogs are truly special<3

I'm not in USA so I don't know much about the foods over there but I think the ones you've mentioned are great choices:) Here's a link to a thread on this forum about food ratings, maybe it can be helpful.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings

There is so much information on this site, I love it, I always go here when wondering about things, and it happens ALL THE TIME, lol.

Can't wait for pictures of your little Brutus<3 I have a bulldog called Boeboe, we call her Boobies sometimes:)

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Oh good morning and congratulations on your new little baby boy! Being a bulldog parent is truly unique and to have the patience of a saint :)

Edible - my top recommendations are natural balance ( bison - no chicken, a lot of bulldogs I've met have a sensitive stomach to chicken) , next would be Nutro- Lamb. I truly love all of Zuke's treats too! There are a lot to choose from but these are my favorite to give to my dude. Bully sticks or antlers will indeed save your furniture and everythig else you love in your home. I also give Bentley coconut oil for many of it's health benefits and a little yogurt here and there. I do not like giving him people food at all. That's just my personal opinion and I know a lot of people who feel differently.

Play time: I love all things Chuckit!!! <3 quality products that hold up and my little guy has a blast with it. He lovvvves to play fetch. Next is KONG toys - squeaker ball or wubba's or the chews. Then my last choice is jolly ball- only cause it is durable and I haven't had to replace it very often. Loves his jolly ball on the rope (the little one for indoors and his big one for outside - just watch out cause once they start to do the head shake around thing that rope hurts! ( that applies to the wubba too))

Getting clean: I live in an apartment that only has a stand up shower, I take Bentley to a do it yourself dog wash and they have 5 different shampoos that you can choose from. I always pick the sensitive skin or hyper allergenic. Though with having a bully baby it is always in ones best interest to go out and buy a package of baby wipes - a large package from BJ's, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. I have 4 types of brushes that I use - mine sheds like a beast. Acne pads are always good to have on hand too with an ointment too - aquaphor

Good luck!! Congratulations again! Enjoy all the baby wrinkles!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 118

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Welcome to EBN. You have found the pinnacle of the Bulldog world here and the people on this site are a wealth of knowledge without any hesitation to share. You got some great info above so just dive into this site and if you cant find what your looking for, just ask.

Congrats on the Bully Boy!!!!

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Welcome to the site!! You will be so addicted to coming on here, I promise. Everyone is so nice and treats everyone like they are family... Also, bullies are AWESOME! The best breed I have ever been around. They are so goofy and will always keep you laughing. They are pouters too! So dont worry when your baby does that - it's normal. They are stubborn and when they dont get their wait they will go to a corner with their tongues out heeh.

But with food I feed mine Fromms grain free. (any flavor is good) LOTS of members on here feed their bullies this and it does great for us. There is also month contests on here to win a bag of this.
And as for toys I would recommend KONG or any TOUGHB brands because bullies break EVERYTHING haha. The only thing that has lasted Jovi through her puppie years (she is still only 7 months) is kong toys haha

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Check out our home page, we have several threads that have great recommendations for your new puppy's needs.

I have had 4 bullies… and a new puppy right now myself!!! I'm feeding Walter Fromm's puppy food, grain-free treats, greek yogurt and coconut oil. As for toys we use nylabones, antlers, Kong toys and mostly toys that are rated for powerful chewers. Good Luck w/your new baby, and we would LOVE to see some pics.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: Congrats on your new baby an :welcome3: to EBN!!

Food -- grian and chicken free is a goof way to go as most bullies have issues with one or the other or both. I feed Fromm grain free line and can swithc between flavors as often as I want with out transition time. One flavor for breakfast and one flavor for dinner if I want to.

Toys -- Banks is a destroyer so Kongs, Nylabones, marrow bones, and antlers are about it. There is one ball that has surviored and she loves it... stupid little rubber/plastic ball for 5$ at Petco.

Grooming -- they get a bath maybe twice a year... only as needed too much bathing can cause dry skin.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. You have been given some great info by those above me so there isn't much for me to add.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Welcome and congrats on your new puppy! Ok tips

Food-grain free!
Allergies-chicken and salmon are big ones among bulldogs.
Snacks-blueberries,strawberries,eggs,bananas,yogurt, cottage cheese, grain free dog treats, green beans are faves of my dog!
Toys-anything really strong!! Nylabone, Kong, deer antlers.
Shampoo- I stick with sensitive skin oatmeal shampoo.
Beds-you tell me! Meatball ate every bed we bought him. We gave up:)
Definitely crate train IMO! Although Meatball ate through two crates as well!! Lol
Be ready to replace your entire house Lol!! Bulldogs are the worse chewers!!!! Keep plenty of chew toys around!!

in the end they are a great breed! Funny, loyal, smart, full of strange grunts and noises, stubborn etc! Enjoy:)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.