First time English owner :)

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
Hi
I have had my baby Saban for a lil over a week now. He is 15 weeks old and quite a character. When I got him, he had never had any human contact other than feeding and he had never been on grass :( He was horrified but with lots of love and reassurance he snapped out of that really quickly. The only problem I have is his tear stains and what to feed him. I put him on chicken soup but have been told its not a great food. any suggestions??Will try to load pics soon!!!

thanks

Paula

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Welcome! We don't have a puppy, so can't really answer your questions, but I'm sure others can later in the day. Looking forward to seeing pics of Saban.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Welcome to the club, you will be so glad you found it so early in your adventure. There is a great food reference section on the home page. And I am sure you will get a lot advice from our members.

Again, welcome and I hope you post photos soon, we all love photos here. Don't forget to check out the Photo of the month contest.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome!!! First off we love pics so please share many. :) Your pup is 15 weeks old and has not had any human contact or been on grass?!?! My gosh how sad! Where did you get him? Poor thing, sounds like he is lucky to have found a loving home with you. As for food, I am not 100% sure what to put him on being a puppy BUT finding the right food is key so you are on the right track in wanting to change. You will get better advice on that one for sure but whatever you do make sure you slowly switch over to any food you decide. Bully tummies are very sensitive and if you switch too fast they will have the runs like you wouldnt believe.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Welcome to our group! You will love all the help and support you get here. I joined the day after I brought home my first Bully at 6 weeks old. Best thing I ever did! I am currently using a "tear stain supplement" to get rid of my Ida's tear stains. She is 7 months old. I just add 1/2 a teaspoon of this stuff to her breakfast every day. It takes a while to work, but my daughter has a little fluffy white dog who had bad tear stains and this stuff worked great on her! If you do a search on this site for tear stain removal, you'll see lots of other suggestions. And food for your little guy is VERY important! There are many good quality foods available. I give my girls Nature's Variety Prairie. They love it and are doing great on it. So glad you found us!

OP
bullylover4ever

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
thanks for the warm welcome :) I got him from a bad man who obviously breeds them only for money, saban was getting older and he was having a hard time selling him so he discoun ted him and ran an ad in the paper for a really cheap price. I saw him and my heart melted! We went and picked him up and he has soooo many bullys, i felt so sad for all of them. they were begging for attention! I actually contacted the humane society and they cheked it out but said the animals are clean, kennelled, and fed well so they couldnt do anything. Plus the fact he lives in the country where there is no dog limits.:( Saban was put on the grass when we got home and he started walking and stepped on a leaf, it crunched and scared him to death! He would sit and cower down when anyone came near him. We finally let my boston, Gigi, out to meet him and thats when he came to life and has been wild ever since! Took him to the vet, hes very healthy and plays like crazy now! Glad we got him outta there, just wish i could have taken every single one of them!!!!! will have pics up later today when the hubby gets home and can help me figure it out :)

Last edited:

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Welcome and from one Alabama to another (obviously by your bullie's name) ROLL TIDE. Congrats on your bullie. They are wonderful. I am no help when it comes to advice, but you have come to the right place and will get tons of great advice & tips! I have some issues with tear stains and researched a little on line with what to put on them but wanted to wait to see what the food change did. I have noticed over the past couple of days the tear stains for brodie (15 weeks as well) have almost gone away. Still a little noticeable but much better than they were and the only thing I did was change his food. He and my other bullie (Lola who is 3) are on "Taste of the Wild" which is an all stage grain free food. i have had Lola on that since the beginning and have no alergy issues with her (knock on wood). Again, welcome, love having some Alabama fans on the forum! Cannot wait to see some pics of Saban!

OP
bullylover4ever

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
ha! yeah my husband had to name him Saban, it does fit him though :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh that is such a sad/sick story. Your baby knows how lucky he is to have found you and will love you even more for it. These puppy mills are horrible, I wish they would shut them all down. Thankfully your boy is healthy, I am sure there are many that come from this place that arent. Cant wait to see pics!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Welcome Paula and Saban .. you will love it here as you are amongst a group of true bullie-lovers!!

I have my puppy, Daddy, on the Fromm 4* range of foods. The Fromm 4* range is an "all stages" food and that's what Maggie eats, so it made sense to try Daddy on it too so they are both eating the same. Maggie was on a really terrible food, and always had bad tear stains. In fact, I didn't realise how bad they were until I found an old photo of her and could compare it with how she looks now!!!

As others have said, you do need to change a bullies food very very slowly or you could end up with explosive diahorrea!! :eek:

The best thing would be to try a food for at least a month and see what changes you notice in your bullie. I've mentioned FROMM but there are plenty of other really good choices out there that the other members will be able to tell you about to. I just really LOVE the Fromm ... I think [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] said that if you go on their website and say you're interested in trying it, that Fromm will send you a $5 coupon!!

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
ha! yeah my husband had to name him Saban, it does fit him though :)
Yeah know the feeling, Brodie was almost "Bear". I told dear hubby he does NOT look like a bear and after much deliberation we settled on Brodie and NOT after Brodie Croyle, not saying anything bad about him.

OP
bullylover4ever

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
Ive had lots of ppl suggest Fromm, there is nowhere within 75 miles or more who carries it. I could order online but I really would like to get him on a,food I can get locally even though I really would like to try Fromm

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi there, welcome! It is a bit odd that such a young pup already has bad tear stains, but hopefully a food change will fix it.

Two suppliers carry Fromm online, Carolina Pet Pantry and Petflow and you cannot beat their prices, the shipping is free. I save $8 a bag and the pain to find it locally (20 miles away). Carolina Pet Pantry only carries the grain free, however, but that is what I use. They also have loads of great natural products too like shampoos and such.

www.carolinapetpantry.com
petflow.com use coupon code englishbulldog and get free shipping on orders over $59

I hate hearing about what you saw.... that is just awful. We don't like puppy mills here. :(

Last edited:

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
welcome and congrats. I started Dozer on wellness and it gave him the runs pretty bad so we switched to Canidea all life stages and we love it!

Most Reactions