Getting female littermates, are we crazy?

Pizooke

Dec 29, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Madison was our bully of 11.5 yrs, Mackenzie and Rooney come home 4/5 (born 2/8)
Hi, I'm new here, but have been lurking for a little while. My beloved bully, Madison, of 11.5 years passed away last August. She was my first baby and I still miss her everyday, I always will. She taught me so much about life and how to be a mom actually. I always want/need to have a bully in my life (I'm sure you all understand this) and my husband and I have decided to get two girls this time. We have picked them out (MacKenzie who seems to be pretty easy going so far and Rooney who is going to be trouble, even the breeder says this, in the most endearing way of course but she is always getting into stuff already) and they come home in 3 weeks. So the night after we left the deposit, I googled raising littermates and was stunned by what I found. Are we crazy? Wait for the next sentence to answer that. We also have a baby girl (human) that just turned 6 months. So now...are we crazy? Well, whether you answer yes or no, we're doing it :) So I would LOVE any suggestions, tips, tricks, anything to help us navigate babies and bullies and bully female littermates...let the adventure begin!

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=10684]Pizooke[/MENTION]...just by having Chubby I can tell you...sounds like you are going to be raising triplets...not a bad thing just a lot of work♡ Sounds like fun♡

Chubby♡

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Congratulations on your decision - i must say it be tough-bullies are not quick learners-and times 2 -it will hard + your baby -i think if you all pull in together as a family everything should be easier to manage
Good luck and keep us updated ;-)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome:You are young and have plenty of energy. It will be a hectic life, but once you figure out a routine, it will work out! In someways, it is easier to raise two pups at a time, because they have each other to play with. Best of Luck to your "active" family. Hubby will have to pitch in and help.too :yes::hoover::baby::rundog::rundog:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Two or more is always better than one, I always say. It will be hard, especially with the 6 month old. But put up baby gates to keep the pups out of areas you do not want them in, like the babies room and play area. This way the bullies will not have the opportunity to swallow a toy or something else that might become an obstruction.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
nope not crazy just bully addicted :yes4: if you have the stamina for it i say go for it!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Congratulations!! We raised one at a time; got Amber and then a year later went back for Ruby plus I have a one year old grand-daughter.......good times are had by all in my house. WOOHOO! You are going to have a rock and rolling household but it can be managed with a little patience and everyone pitching in. Good luck and you have been given great advice about baby gates; they are a must have item!! We have them on all the bedroom door frames and in the hallway get to keep the bullies safe from things they aren't suppose to get into. Again, good luck and let the games begin!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Welcome to the site. Not much I can add but to wish you good luck.

OP
Pizooke

Pizooke

Dec 29, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Madison was our bully of 11.5 yrs, Mackenzie and Rooney come home 4/5 (born 2/8)
Thank you everyone for the advice and the support. We definitely needed to hear someone say "go for it." Maybe you just have to be a "bully addict" to get it. I will keep you updated and post pics...I'm sure we'll have lots of super fun pics. Here are the girls at 4 weeks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 142

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Yay :clap: Congratulations!!! They are beautiful girls!!!!!

My best advice is ... from day 1 the second they get home, set very clear Rules, Boundaries & Limitations and be 100% Consistent!!! have a potty schedule that is set in stone to make potty training them easy on you and with the rules, boundaries & limitations they will learn right away what is expected of them and they will be happy and well balanced family members :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone for the advice and the support. We definitely needed to hear someone say "go for it." Maybe you just have to be a "bully addict" to get it. I will keep you updated and post pics...I'm sure we'll have lots of super fun pics. Here are the girls at 4 weeks.

what a beautiful pair.... best of luck to you can't wait to watch them grow and love the names!

:welcome3: to EBN!

Sorry for the loss of your Madision, wow 11.5 years is fantastic. She will always be with you and in your heart!

forriverhendrix

Mar 25, 2014
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
FN: River, MN: Hendrix
I'll be a new bully mama starting this Friday, my boyfriend and I will be bringing a little girl River home, she just turned 10 weeks yesterday. It seems from all the research I've done that this breed is a lot to handle but well worth it! Sounds like double the love, double the entertainment, double the fun for you! Or TRIPLE rather, what an exciting adventure. Best of luck! xx

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I thought the same thing when we bought our two guys two years ago. I had always wanted a EB for the past 10 years, and I had a Jack Russell named Oreo, for 14 years, who passed away 3 years ago. I had always said to my hubby that if I ever got another dog, I wanted a EB, and I wanted a male, and I was going to name him Bulldozer. When I finally decided it was time to get another dog, we went to see the pups on Mothers Day weekend, and there were only two left, one male and one female. I immediately fell in love with my Bulldozer, but hubby kept gravitating to his sister Blossom, and saying oh look how cute she is, look how sweet she is. I insisted I had come for the boy, and after paying for him, and asking the lady if I could pick him up on the Sunday, as I had to go to buy supplies for him, and it was Mother's Day weekend, so Sunday we returned to pick him up, and she brings up both pups, I told her again I wanted the male, and she said, you want both right, to which I said No, and hubby said Yes. He had called her back after we left, and told her to hold on to her and we would be taking both. He said he couldn't leave her there alone. I thought we were crazy to get two, but after the training was done, with going out every hour or two, and getting up at 2:00 am, which took about 5 months, it turned out to be a good decision. They are really close, and are good company for each other. I'm glad we have both. Everyone should have more than one bully. The trick is to have a good schedule and routine with both the baby, and the pups.

This is the schedule we used when we trained our two guys.

Hi, the general rule of thumb for a puppy is that they can hold their bladder for 1 hour over their age, so a 2 month old puppy can hold for 3 hours, a 4 month old puppy can hold for 5 hours, and they should be totally trained by 5 months old, and can hold for 6 hours by this age. Puppy training is mostly consistency and schedule. This is the schedule we used for our guys when they were puppies, and it worked really well.

It took us 5 months to fully potty train. The general rule is that they should be able to hold 1 hour for every month of age, so that by the time they are 5 months they should be able to hold for 6 hours. We used a pretty strict schedule for training our guys, until they were trained. Here is the schedule that worked for us.

Re: Advice on potty training! I reposted this from an older post, hope it helps.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

0 Comment(s)

0 Comment(s)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.