Greetings from Layla and Kelly in Baltimore.

Laylas mom Kelly

Mar 3, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
Hello bully lovers.

My sweet beautiful Layla picked me for her mom when she was just 7-weeks old. It's true, you haven't been loved until you're loved by a bulldog. Layla has a very special place in my heart, she's my best friend and enriches my life every day.

When she was 3-months old she had a successful cherry eye repair surgery, and has very healthy since. She is now 7-years old and has started with chronic dry eye, and pocket tail infection.

Since she was a puppy I cleaned her butt with baby wipes daily after every potty break. And she really enjoyed it, all I had to say was, "assume the position" she'd run and stand between my legs with her butt in front of me so that I could clean her. However, since November 2013 we have been fighting an infected pocket tail and she no longer enjoys her daily cleaning.

For her pocket tail infection she has been on Simplicef Cefpodoxime 200mg (antibiotic) and Trimeprazine / Prednisolone 5/2mg (steroid) 4 times since November. It seems to get better and then when she is off the meds for a week or so it starts up again. I found this forum in hope to get some ideas, I want surgery to be our last resort.

I'm very happy to find this forum, not only for advice, I enjoy seeing others that are just as over the moon for their bulldog as I am. I appreciate any advice or tips on how to keep my girl healthy and happy.

Namaste,
Laylas mom Kelly

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN.... So sorry about the tail pocket issue, we also have a 8.5 yr old girl and her pocket seems to be acting up. I clean with witch hazel and place a powder there on some days too.

i will tag a few members that had to have the tail amputated so they can give some advice on whether you can continue to avoid it.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! So glad to have you & Layla here, she's a beautiful bully!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I remember someone here saying that they cleaned the tail pocket with a water pik. Maybe that would help with your girl. Mine don't have tail pockets-thank G.
Your girl is very pretty!:yes:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I'm heading into work do I can't give proper time to her tailpocket issues, in the mean time search here, on tailpocket.. Gizmo tail pocket, tailpocket surgery.. One of those should at least get you pointed in the right direction... Rick

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
:welcome3: Layla and Kelly! Such a beautiful introduction you've written there about your beautiful little girl.

Sorry Layla's going thru tail pocket infections. My Finn had frequent infections starting last September and he too was on antibiotics and steroids. The infection would go away, he felt much better, but after a week of being off the meds, the infection would recur. After the 3rd infection his vet recommended tail amputation and he had that done this past January. Hopefully you will be able to avoid that route but sometimes, depending on how the tail is curved and how many folds there are in the tail, a bulldog will be more prone to such infections and amputation may be the best option. The important thing is to make sure the tail pocket is always dry b/c moisture is a great medium for bacteria and yeast growth. Some members have used duoxo pads to clean the tail pocket; this is basically an antibacterial medication (chlorhexidine). I will tag [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] here too b/c her Emma just got over a round of meds for her infection and she has been successful in keeping it infection free.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I actually caused O's tail pocket infection by bathing her and getting in there to clean THEN neglecting to make sure it was dry inside. We have malaket wipes that do a fantastic job of cleaning....and you can leave it wet. It's ketoconazole and chlorhexidine together with some acetic acid.

My other bully had his tail amputated when he was 7 or 8 months old. Best decision EVER for him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.