New to this site and new to having an EB pup :)

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Hello All,

My 10 week old EB pup Rocky and I live in Brighton, England.

I've had him for 3 weeks and am getting a lot of joy and love from him. I'm living on my own with him and am finding it pretty hard - I thought I was prepared for a puppy having done lots of research (as I've never had one before) but it didn't really let me know what i had in store!! As stressful as it is, I love him to bits and wouldn't change him for the world. When he has his second jabs (nxt wk) and we can get out it might help. At the moment he is chewing and biting a lot and constantly wants attention. I've tried yelping when he bites me, distracting him with chew toys etc but nothing seems to work. He's biting my hands and arms quite hard now which is distressing me. Everyone on this site seems so confident and happy, im just wondering if anyone else found the transition to having a new pup hard?

Thanks all, Kishi

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome:You have found a place for great advice. We all have our methods. I have always had puppies, so I was used to the puppy stage. I did notice, though that the English bulldog pups seem to be more mouthy than alot of breeds-not all, though. I always made sure they had plenty of tough chew toys and each time they got to biting me, I say "no bite!" put a toy in their mouth, and say-"here, bite THIS!" That goes on until after they have gotten their second set of teeth. It seems never ending, but they WILL learn. You just have to stick with it, and don't give up! We have all gone through it-and it is not unusual! Good tough Nylabones and Kong toys will help. I even gave mine some empty big plastic bottles that juice comes in, to play with. Anything large enough to not swallow, or get pieces off that they could swallow.
I am sure there will be others, who also have their methods! We also would love to see some photos of your baby!! We are here to help-don't get discouraged!!

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
It sounds like you are doing things correctly. The main thing is to be consistent. Once you can take him out for more walks or to the dog park, it should help. A tired puppy bites much less :) We all went through this stage.....just know that it will pass. Best of luck to you and congratulations on your new baby!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I agree w/Cyndi, a tired puppy is better behaved… doggie walks, or tug-of-war inside will help keep him worn out. Good luck & keep us posted...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome3:Hi and welcome to you and Rocky. You have already been given great advice by Lynn and Cyndi, and it sounds like you are doing the right thing by saying no, and distracting him with a chew toy. The puppy biting stage is definetley a short live stage, and does pass, it just takes patience, and consistency. Just like having a toddler. Lol.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. It is a bit of a shock and change with these guy but it you remain persistent and consistent as stated above it will get better. All of us have been in the same shoes and we survived. A little more grey hair but we survived none the less.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Welcome . And yes I just got my first eb this past sept and I have a lot of trouble with him biting too I have had pits for twenty yrs and never had this much trouble with the biting before but I have recently been softly holding him down till he submits and he is better for awhile but then we have to do it again good luck and welcome .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
KishiD

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Thanks so much to all of you! Such a relief to know it's not me but simply a stage. Really appreciate your messages. They have given me a boost :) :)

OP
KishiD

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Thanks [MENTION=9965]Enjnene[/MENTION] I've also been trying that - he is a master manipulator though. You think he's given in and then he swiped for a bite, it's quite funny really. But also v frustrating! Lol!

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Lol .. I know what you mean just keep doing what your doing , it will get better " hope " lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN and the most wonderful world of Bulldogs!!! yes, it is a phase that will pass, continue with 'yipe' and toy distraction, he is get the point

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
:welcome: There are days I get exhausted from my pups and they are 1 and 2. :evil: Bertha is in the longest heat EVER in the world and she just had surgery. She is on soft food since it was bowel obstruction surgery so she is OMG gasey!! I am soooo feeling you!! So needless to say, you are in the most understanding forum you could be in!!

OP
KishiD

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Thanks all! Do good to hear I'm not alone! I love him so much but sometimes I feel like crying from the sheer energy it takes. He's worth it though ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.