Help! Food suggestions greatly appreciated

Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and I hope to learn a lot of new information regarding my bully named Miss Piggy. I didn't know how to make one of her pictures my profile pic that shows up on everyones, so for now I just added a few pics to her album. She's 1 and a half and when we first got her she was on Royal Canine for bulldogs.... I know *YUCK* so we immediately changed her from that to Wellness Core. She has been doing good on that, no more tear stains, shedding etc. Up until recently she started losing interest in it and literally would just walk away from the food. This went on for about 3 days and I had enough and ran to my local pet store (family owned) which carries a lot of high end foods. I've been researching all different foods such as Fromm, Orijen, Merrick, TOTW, Earthborn, Nutro Natural, and a few others. The pet store by me carries a lot of these, so I decided to start with Fromm since I've seen a lot of you guys feed your bullies this. Not successful one bit!! I bought the small bag of Fromm beef & veggie frittata (I think that's what it was called) I tried mixing it in with her wellness - 75/25 and still nothing. I noticed the pieces are extremely tiny. I tried hand feeding her a few pieces and she just sniffed, put it in her mouth and spit it out. I put a few pieces of our own cooked beef in the next day for a topper (she loves little treats like that) she of course started to eat her dog food, then basically left all the fromm at the bottom of it. I'm thinking maybe the pieces are entirely too small for her liking. So i returned it and asked the manager about Fromm - she said all of the grain free Fromms are tiny kibble and the other ones such as Fromm Gold have slightly bigger pieces. I was debating whether or not to try Fromm Gold - Miss Piggy really doesn't have any known allergies and can stomach just about anything but I've been doing grain free foods for a year so figured I'd stick with Grain free. My main question and concern is: What food do you have your bully on, or what would you highly reccomend for me to try and experiment with next? I exchanged the Fromm for TOTW Pacific Stream and also bought the can for a little topper, I added some of that to her wellness and let me tell you she just sniffs it and walks away! This dog LOVED her wellness topper (chicken) and would not the TOTW. I hand fed her and she ate a few pieces, then refused to eat any others. She is NOT sick! Took her to the vet a week ago for her wellness check and a few shots and shes in great health. She is just extremely picky and I'm at my wits end with her! She's barely eaten the past few days. This morning I just gave her the wellness with some baked chicken toppers we made and she ate it, of course leaving some of the wellness at the bottom. She only gets 1 cup food morning and 1 cup at night, and I know this dog is hungry! I feel so bad for her. I wish i could just find the food that works. I was thinking about exchanging the TOTW for Fromm gold or maybe trying Earthborn, Merrick or Nutro. Just not sure which one to pick up next. Also thinking she really likes chicken formulas since no luck with beef Fromm or the fish TOTW. Any and all input is GREATLY appreciated!! I want the best for my baby girl so I'm willing to try any other dog foods that have worked for your bullies. Thanks a ton guys! :) piggy.jpgpiggy2.jpg541859_10200991138394805_2109571901_n.jpg1174_10201162902648804_1434402947_n.jpg

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
First, she's absolutely adorable!!

Since she doesn't seem to have any allergies, have you tried looking here: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings
It's a great place to start. Organized by stars, six being the best foods, while 1 is utter crap!

Also, this link helps you understand what to look for when reading the ingredients in your dog food. It's a great read, full of info. that all pet owners should be aware of.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...g-Dog-Food-Labels-and-Finding-Bad-Ingredients

Oh, and Welcome to EBN!

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
I am really no help for you but i just wanted say good luck. You came to the right place and there will be plenty of help for you coming along shortly. Just as an FYI, we feed our boy TOTW Sierra Mountain (it's the lamb and peas formula) and add a squirt of Grizzly Salmon Oil to it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm not really much help, as I feed our two guys the Fromms Beef Frittata. We switched them to this food 16 months ago, after doing 4 food switches due to my female Blossoms allergies. She is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn, and grains.
Finding a good quality and nutritious dogfood that our babies can tolerate is mainly trial and error, and can be a frustrating process, that just takes patience, time and consistency. I can only recommend Fromms Beef, and Blue Buffalo, as I am familiar with those brands. You mentioned that Miss Piggy loves chicken, you might want to try Go Natural it is also a very good quality food, that I fed to y Jack Russell for 14 years. We did try it with our guys, but Blossom is allergic to chicken so it didn't work for us. You an also try adding some warm water or broth to the kibble to make it taste better, as well as adding so e extras or toppers such as cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, plain unsweetened yogurt, some omega oils such as salmon oil, coconut oil, or cod liver oil.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Re: Greetings from Diana & Miss Piggy. Have a few questions regarding food, please help!!

:welcome4:Hi Diana, and welcome to you you and Miss Piggy. Love her name. So cute. So glad you joined EBN, it's a great site, and you will love it on here. Lots of great information and great people to give you advice, answer your questions, share our experiences, and love of our bullies. Looking forward to seeing more of you and Miss Piggynon her. Please share more pictures of Miss Piggy. I already posted on your other thread regarding food.

OP
D
Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
Thanks so much for the quickly reply guys. Blueberry's mom- those links are wonderful! I am definitely going to print out the list of the 5 and 4 star foods and pick and choose some next ones to try. Gfits911- I think i will exchange the TOTW fish forumla for the Sierra Mountain. I will definitely pick up some Salmon oil too and see how that goes. Vikinggirl- thanks for your input! It is extremely frustrating, I will see if my local pet shop carries Go Natural, I'm not sure whether or not I saw it there yesterday. I just wish she would eat already! I guess it's all just trial and error and I need to keep trying different ones until i find the right one for her :(

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:welcome: to EBN! That Halloween picture is CLASSIC! She sure is a beauty and has a great great name.

OP
D
Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
Re: Greetings from Diana & Miss Piggy. Have a few questions regarding food, please help!!

Hi Monica! Aw thank you so much, she is definitely my baby! I have a 3 month old son and I tell everyone I have 2 kids - a boy and a girl. I am very excited about this site and very appreciative of all your input. I did get your reply on my other thread.

OP
D
Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
Hi Phil! Thanks for the warm welcome - I just joined a little less than 30 mins ago and already you guys treat everyone like family. I love it! Buster is so handsome! If you don't mind me asking, what food do you have him on? Trying to expiriment and get Miss Piggy on something she'll like - so far no luck with Fromm or TOTW :(

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue hated the Beef Frittata as well. But he loved the Pork and Peas (but allergic), and his Salmon Tunalini.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
:welcome4: to EBN!!!! Miss Piggy is absolutely adorable :luv: You have received some great advice above. Mayhem eats Fromms with a TBSP of plain Greek Yogurt and salmon oil. Best of luck finding the right food for Miss P :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Phil! Thanks for the warm welcome - I just joined a little less than 30 mins ago and already you guys treat everyone like family. I love it! Buster is so handsome! If you don't mind me asking, what food do you have him on? Trying to expiriment and get Miss Piggy on something she'll like - so far no luck with Fromm or TOTW :(

Thank you! Buster is on Fromms Pork and Peas right now, we switched over from the Beef Frittata and I agree with you they are very tiny kibbles but he loves it and has been doing real well on it.

OP
D
Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
Thank you everyone! :) I think I'll give the Fromms Pork and Peas a shot. Miss Piggy seems to steer away from anything fishy with salmon and didn't like the Fromms Beef. Have any of you tried the Fromms Gold? I think that might be a chicken formula but not sure. I know that it is not grain free so I'm hesitant about trying that. She doesn't have any known allergies thus far but I do like everything to be Grain free.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: :welcome3: to EBN..... what a beauty Miss Piggy is, LOVE the pictures!

Have you looked to try Fromm grain free Game Bird? My bullies are on Fromm Pork and Peas, before that is was Beef Frittata. I tried the Tunalini, but Banks is sensitive to salamon so that went out the window.

Good luck and do keep us posted

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The gold formula is okay but has more grains.

I'd try the four star first.... Do you out her bowl up after about 30 mins?

Nice to meet you! :EBNwelcome:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.