Hi all from Todd and I!

GreyFeather

Jan 25, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Todd
Hi everyone,

I've recently become in essence unforeseen foster mum to an adorable, if challenging little man named Todd. Todd is 4.5 months old and weighs 33 lbs.
Keeps me on my toes for sure :D but also keeps everyone in the house laughing because he is, as bulldogs tend to be a clown. A drooly, wrinkly, snorty, snuffly pig-clown.

Todd actually belongs to my mum, who has chronic heart issues and unfortunately not soon after bringing Todd home was diagnosed with rather advanced cancer. Some time later it was pretty evident that she couldn't really take care of him and so he ended up with me (he's been here about 2 weeks or so).
It's unclear at this point if he'll ever go back to her and I am trying (for both her sake and his sake) to become his permanent home, as she doesn't need the stress and he needs more than she can give.

Which brings me (on a slightly less somber note) to why I'm here.
Did I mention I have NO IDEA what I'm doing and much less with a bulldog lol? :help:
I've read a couple books, and had dogs in the family growing up---but certainly not on my own and not a bulldog.
I'm a tarantula and parrot type of gal honestly....and reptiles.
But bulldog? Gotta admit I'm inexperienced.

Nevermind little guy who admittedly (due to my mother's circumstances) is behind on what he should of been learning/experiencing and who is a bit of a challenge temperament-wise (gets frustrated and overstimulated/overexcited easily, no bite inhibition and isn't really used to handling or listening to people). He's also got the infamous sensitive tummy and what look to be allergies---but we're getting those under control. I have to get his final round of puppy shots done in two weeks (missed those due to my mom) as well as his rabies then I'm going to see if I can find him a puppy class (he's a little old, but he needs the 'foundations' he missed out on I think)

So...that's why I'm here. For a little help to give this little guy the best that I can :)

Attachments

• todd2.jpg
    todd2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 154
  • todd3.jpg
    todd3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 152
  • todd4.jpg
    todd4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 147

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Welcome to EBN! Very sad to hear about your mom-but it is wonderful of you to take in your "brother!" If you will look on the HOME page, there are many helpful articles on there for you to read. If your questions are not answered-then feel free to ask! Everyone here is very helpful and willing! A bully is a stubborn breed-so you have to stick with it-but the rewards will be worth it. Todd has a face that you can't resist!! Others will be here to help you! also forgot to mention that when your boy does what you want-rewarding him with a treat and LOTS of praise is the best training method! That goes for all training with a Bullie. Do not let him "sneak by" with things, as before you know it-HE will have YOU trained!!ha!ha!

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Welcome to the site. This place is full of information and I am sure ypu will find your answers here. Your little one is adotable andi look forward to seeing more of him as he grows up.
Saying a prayer for ypur mom. You are such a special kid to take this on for her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hello and :welcome3: to EBN.... Todd sure is a beauty! Thank you so much for taking him in and being a great daughter to you Mom.... I will keep her in my prayers that she can recover and beat the cancer.

Until you can get Todd in a training class, begin using 'nothing in life is free' http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...85-Nothing-in-Life-is-Free-training-technique
It will help you withbuidling his foundation and teach him that you are the alpha!

best of luck and ask away on any question you have... some one here will have some advice or the answer you need

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Todd is a very handsome man and you're wonderful to let him into your life . I'm sorry to hear about your mom and she has my prayers for her. Im really happy that you found us and hope you learn and enjoy this site as much as I do. :welcome: to the wonderful world of everything Bully! :)

OP
G

GreyFeather

Jan 25, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Todd
Thanks everyone, muchly appreciated.

Looks like I have been doing something right then :) Todd's been on a 'Nothing In Life Is Free' program since he's been with me.
He's come leaps and bounds in only two weeks, very proud of the little dude.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
:welcome: to you and to your handsome Todd! You are a wonderful person to bring Todd into your home and heart as your mom is battling her illness. I'm so sorry for what she's going through and I do wish her the very best.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I am sorry your intro to bulldogs is on such a sad note. the good news is you don't have to feed them anything that squeaks like your reptiles. bad news is they eat a bit more often, lol. what food is the little cutie on? that is the most important thing with our bullies, the food. Good food can minimize or eradicate many problems. :welcome:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Todd is very handsome and you'll soon be a bully fanatic like all here :)

I'm very sorry to hear what your Mother and you are going thru.

Will hold everyone in my prayers and please, keep us informed.

Just set schedules, consistent expectations, be firm, kind & calm,
lavish praise & treats to reward good behavior, ignore the bad and
love on him a lot.

What you will get in return will astound, amaze and delight you.

GOD be with you & bless you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent advice above, Todd is so cute. Sorry to hear about your mother. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
:welcome3:How Wonderful for you to take Todd in, he looks so handsome and sweet, been given lots of good advice and take a look around lots of information, and ask any questions. Sorry to hear about your Mum, send thoughts your way.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
What an adorable little guy:heart: I'm sorry about your moms illness, I'm sure she's so happy Todd can stay with you:) I don't have kids so I don't really know what I'm talking about but when I compare me caring for my bullkids and my friends caring for their skin kids it's pretty much the same thing in my opinion:tongue: Welcome to EBN:)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Welcome to EBN...just ask lots of questions - people here have lots of experience and are really helpful. I've learned so much since I found EBN. Todd is adora-bull. Bless you heart for taking him on for your Mom. I'll definitely keep your mom in my prayers. Oh...and we LOVE pics of bullies!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! The gang has you covered, I just wanted to welcome you & say how sorry I am to hear about your mother. Please feel free to ask questions, and keep us posted!!!

OP
G

GreyFeather

Jan 25, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Todd
Thank you everyone :)
On that front I have good (if sad for me) news. My mom is finally responding to one of her new medications so we are keeping the cancer beast at bay for now and she feels much better. So little man is scheduled to be heading home to mum in about two weeks as she misses him terribly. I'll miss the little bugger, but the parrot will be very happy to see him gone (and therefore much quieter).

He is currently on Nutrience Grain-Free Ocean Fish & Salmon (finally! no more gas and loose poop), though we are seeing if he will either make the switch to Orijen Six Fish or failing that Acana Pacifica just because the ingredients are slightly better than what he's on (though the same idea) and my mum won't be paying for the Hagen brandname.

I'll be pointing my mum over this way to get help with little guy when he goes....and since there is probably a (possibly bully) pup in my future I just might be back :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.