First Time Owner

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Hi there! I will be getting my puppy very soon and I have a few questions!

I know you all recommend Fromm. I started switching my Mastiff to Fromm Gold today! He is a big boy and there's no way we could afford the 4 star! The breeder we're getting our puppy from feeds Diamond. She recommends feeding Diamond for the first six months of the puppy's life. Diamond is a crap food, am I right? She says that her dogs and puppies do great on it and from the pictures I believe it! What would you do? Should I keep the pup on Diamond for 6 months then switch to Fromm or should I switch him over right away? I know I SHOULD switch right away but I should also listen to the breeder who has experience with raising this particular breed. Right?

I've been all through this site and I've spent hours reading on bulldog care and health so I'm not completely clueless. I keep reading mixed answers on what to use for tear stains. How do you like Colloidal Silver? I don't like the idea of putting peroxide by his eyes! And what about a crate? Am I crazy for wanting to do this without a crate? I know it will be hard, I've done my research but does anyone have any experiences with not crating a puppy? Any advice or tips for a new owner?

Thanks!!
Brooke :)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
First of all there is nothing stopping you switching food gradually i cant advise on us food brands as im from uk -but by the sound of it you already researched it
I dont use anything on tear stains -apart from damp cloth once a day -so far so good and Lilly is 9,5 months old-like you i wont use peroxide as they have sensitive skin-besides -its near their eyes
Most of bully owners crate training -as its safer for their bullies ,i didnt but i puppy proofed my house and i used child's gate to keep my girls in the kitchen when we were out until she was fully potty trained

OP
monkey10262

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I have a toddler so I guess you could say my house is already 'puppy proof' lol

I guess I just want reassurance. I have everything planned out in my head but I want to know that my choices are good! Thanks!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Welcome to the site. There are a lot of great dog foods out there for our bullies. I have heard mixed reviews on the Diamond brand food. They have also had a few recalls and been sued for a salmonella contaminated dog food in the past. Please keep in mind that what works best for one bully may not work for another so you will have some trial an error with finding the right food for your pup that will not break your bank or cause them to have an allergic reaction.. As for going the route of not using a crate..... I know it can be done and all I can do is wish you good luck with it, but I am sure that someone who has done it will be along shortly to provide some advice.

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a toddler so I guess you could say my house is already 'puppy proof' lol

I guess I just want reassurance. I have everything planned out in my head but I want to know that my choices are good! Thanks!

So you are on a right track here ;-) we moved girls to sleep in the kitchen until Lilly was potty trained ,as well as some basics regarding what she can and cannot chew
To be honest not crate training was a pretty smooth ride for us

OP
monkey10262

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I really want to try this without a crate. But then I'm going to be even more tempted to bring that baby into bed with us. He comes with a porter so I guess I could try to go crateless but I'll always have that just in case!

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
I love sleeping with my girls ;-)
Make sure you update us on your progress as well as post loads of pictures

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
We didn't crate. but we did enclose a section of the livingroom for him for a few months ('till we found out he has gotten big enough to jump on the sofa or over the chest that served as the door, then to freedom! he was i think 5-6 months old when we remove the enclosure). He wasn't, and still is, not a chewer of furniture or anything that he's not supposed to so it was easy for us. I am all for crating :). Only reason why he stopped sleeping in his crate was because my husband begged that he sleeps with us. Only reason why we got rid of the crate is because his jaw got stuck in the grid of the crate's door. He still goes to that area to have his naps :). He's 8 months old now.

Goodluck and enjoy your new baby!

OP
monkey10262

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I will post tons of pictures once he gets here! I'd be more than happy to let him sleep in bed with us but it's a small bed. I can't sleep when my son is in bed with us because I hang off the edge lol maybe I should start looking into bigger beds? :yes4: That would solve all of my problems! :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site. You can try him on the food they have him on if you wish and see how he does, or change him to FROMM puppy gold, it's totally up to you. As far as crating him, that is the safest thing for a pup, and bully in general, especially when you are not at home. It keeps them out of mischief, and safe, so they will not chew power cords or get into something they should not.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN....

I would not recommend no crate... It is a great tool for potty training as well as it become their safe place as they get older

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
:smileywelcome: look forward to bully pics! I have to agree w using a crate. It is the best way to potty train and it really does keep them safe when you are not home. But, that us just me. I crated her at night in my bedroom, that way I could hear her whine when she needed to go out throughout the night..which was every cpl hours for a while...when she hit about 7 months old and was holding it all night, I let her sleep on the bed w me. Now, I only crate her when I need to go out. She does go in the crate and relax on her own cos it is like her den :). If the breeders bullies are doing great in diamond and that us what you can afford right now, then there is nothing wrong w keeping the pup on it while you research food you feel is better. I started cleaning the stains and folds, when Brie was a puppy with witch hazel as needed as it is not harsh and self drying. But, because it is drying, you may not need/want to use it daily.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would also recommend a crate while you are not home our You can't supervise your bully. Bulldogs are famous for eating anything and everything with an obstruction Always a possibility. Sleeping with you is great and out while your home is fine.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:EBNwelcome: Glad you joined us! If you don't want to do a crate, you have options using baby gate or play yard, but some way to contain them is best and safest for you and your new pup!

Can't wait to see pix! When are you getting your baby?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.