Need advice on finding the right english bulldog for me.

tooncinator

Jan 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hello all, new to this forum here. I've been reading about English bulldogs for several years now, and have been wanting to get one of my own for quite some time. I think I'm finally at a good point in my life to do it (will be buying a house that will give him plenty of room to exercise outdoors, but will be mostly an indoor dog, not to mention being able to financially support em) Since, from what ive researched, they seem to have shorter lifespans than most, and are prone to genetic health issues, I was hoping to get a puppy and from a reputable breeder. Ive found, however, that its hard to really find much info out there. I was hoping you guys might be able to lend some advice on what to look for in breeders, or even better, if anyones had any experience with any in the Oklahoma/Kansas area. So far the only one ive found online in the area is one that goes by S & J English bulldogs. Thanks for any and all advice

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You've found the right place for everything English Bulldog! There is a ton of information on here on what to expect when you have a bulldog, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. :welcome:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You may go to several vets in your area, and inquire about bulldog breeders. Of course it does not GUARANTEE a "perfect dog"-but I don't think a vet would recommend a breeder that he didn't think too much of. When I got pups, I asked who the vet was, called him, and spoke to him personaLLY, about the breeder-and past pups, and if there were any known health problems, etc. That would be my suggestion. OR if you should find a breeder-ask who there vet is, and contact him or her.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You may go to several vets in your area, and inquire about bulldog breeders. Of course it does not GUARANTEE a "perfect dog"-but I don't think a vet would recommend a breeder that he didn't think too much of. When I got pups, I asked who the vet was, called him, and spoke to him personally, about the breeder-and past pups, and if there were any known health problems, etc. That would be my suggestion. OR if you should find a breeder-ask who there vet is, and contact him or her.

I agree with Lynn --- find and talk to vets in your area and see if they have any recommendations

Buddy32825

Jan 14, 2014
Oralndo, FL
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Just something to keep in mind....if you don't have time for all the demands of a puppy, you could adopt....it's much cheaper and you'd be giving a dog in need a great home. There are some young bully's and occasionally pups that come available. Either way, good luck!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Agree with [MENTION=10831]Buddy32825[/MENTION] -to add as a pros for adoption you will skip potty training that seem to take forever with bulldog pups (and teething ,chewing lol)

Also find your local bulldog club in your area talk to them meet breeders etc
If you find a breeder you like and pups make sure you see their mum
Picking a pup where both parents are health tested is also a good thing -the possibility of illness or underlying condition becomes smaller (but it is never 100% )
Some breeders write a contract with a health guarantee too, ask how many litters did mum have (sadly there are a lot of backyard breeders out there) -in uk we can check online how many litter mother had through our kennel club

I have a dog that we adopted and that was the best thing i ever done xx
lilly wasn't adopted my husband surprised me with her ,but if i had a chance to adopt a bulldog i would

Good luck with your search xx

Last edited:

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Hello and Welcome I am not sure where in Oklahoma/Kansas you are looking but I found puppies playhouse in Frankfurt KS -- the breeder is a vet. I have included the link to their website for you Good luck on your search and make sure once you get one you let all of us see him/her.

Last edited by a moderator:

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I think [MENTION=2150]Mack-N-MatildasMommy[/MENTION] is from Ok area. And you have been given good advice so far as well. Good luck with your search!

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Oh how exciting!!!!! There are plenty of good breeders in Oklahoma City!!! Go to oklahomacitybulldogclub.com and there is a long list.. Some of the breeders are also in rescue too.. Don Bryson is my mentor is will be able to help you out.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.