Many, Many Questions for New Pup

GoCards82

Jan 15, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wacha
First post and many questions. I pick up my new pup next month and want to do as much as possible right. I have chosen Fromm Puppy food and will slowly integrate it with his original food. I am knowledgeable on crate training and will be doing that. I live in a building in Chicago with other tenants that have dogs. I have a huge concern about parvo (had a pitty that got it, survived but mega $$$) and want to prevent it. So here are my questions, I hope they aren't too much:

How can I make sure to do my best to prevent parvo? I know not to expose him until his vaccinations are complete, but where should he potty?

How much should I feed?

What treats do you recommend?

What size harness/brand does your adult bully use?

What should I make sure I leave the breeder with? I know AKC papers and vaccinations. Am i missing anything?

Thanks ahead of time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN! My bully girl is named Banks... after guess who :ponder: --- yep, you guessed it Ernie Banks. No, I am not from Chi-town or a Cubs fan, but my b/f is! :facepalm:

How can I make sure to do my best to prevent parvo? I know not to expose him until his vaccinations are complete, but where should he potty? ---- there are a few members here that do or did the fake grass on a patio, maybe look into that option.

What treats do you recommend? -- I use frozen green beans, blueberries, carrots or dog treats called Fruitables.

What size harness/brand does your adult bully use? -- some like the Kong harness, I have the Premier Easy Walker stops them from pulling

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! You have come to the best place to get info for your new puppy… I don't think you can avoid Parvo, obviously keeping your pup away from other dogs until his vaccinations are completed (and this goes for trips to PetSmart) and other dogs feces. Fromm's puppy food should have directions on the bag on how much to feed your baby, and how often. We always use grain free treats since most bullies are prone to allergies… NO rawhides, pig ears, etc… bullies can choke on them. I have NO info on the harness, I bought mine at PetSmart years ago. I would make sure the breeder gives you some of the food that he was giving your pup so you can make a gradual food change to the Fromm's.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Welcome. You have been given some great information above. As far as how much to feed.... Yes the bag will have a grid that you can follow but please keep in mind that the grid 8s a recommendation and the amounts may or may not work for your bully. Some eat 1 cup 3 times a day and other like myself only feed 1 cup twice a day. You will have some trial and error you will go through as you watch the consistency of poo to get the right balance. Too runny you cut back a bit.... Too firm you can try a little more.

As for the harness.... as a pup they are going to grow so fast you will want to start with an adjustable strap type as they are fairly cheap. As your pup gets bigger you can look at some of the mesh and neoprene one. We personally use the ones made by Dozer at Carolina Pet Pantry. The selection is awesome and the quality is top notch.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Welcome. You must be so excited! Lots of good advice here. Dudley's favorite treats are frozen peach slices and frozen mango chunks!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Congratulations on your soon-to-be-new-bully-baby! and welcome to EBN :)

I used to live in a condo building and I mostly used pee pads for Tate when I brought him home at 8weeks old. I didn't want to take him outdoors to potty b/c there were lots of dogs in the building where i lived and I didn't want to take any chances. So, pee pads are an option for you, as well as the already mentioned fake grass you can buy.

:welcome:

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello and Welcome to the group :yes:

Making sure he is done with all shots is a must-do!

How much does the dog weigh will depend on how much to feed. (how old now?)
There are many many threads about feeding on this site. Lots of advice. (everyone has one...) once you start to feed and then later on...reply less on the actual CUP size but rather what does the dog LOOK like. Each dog is different and will have diff feeding requirements. DO NOT OVER FEED YOUR DOG. If you do end up with a fat bulldog...FEED LESS and more exercise. YOU are responsible for the health of your dog and how much you feed.

The adjustable walking harness is great and can last for several months as you dog grows. You will need a second size for an adult.

Pictures of the parents are helpful to see how big your dog will grow into. Any medical issues up to that date, any probs that parents have had.

Good Day~

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and will be looking for pics of your new baby. You have so great advice above. I would use puppy pads for him to do his business until he has all his shots. Parvo can live up to a year outside, so going out there until he has all his shots is out of the question, in my opinion. Don't worry about the potty training thing, he will learn to go outside once he gets a little older. As far as how much to feed, well you picked a good food, that's what we feed our pups. I would start with 1/2 cup 3 times a day at first. Once you have him on FROMM only you can increase the amount. You can tell if you are feeding too much, because their poop will get soft. Then you just back the amount down just a little until the poops get normal. If they are hard, then feed a little more food. It's a juggling act at first until you get it right. We use "Fruitables" for their treats, and they love them. You can get them and the FROMM from PetFlow.com. If you decide to use PetFlow, please use the link here on EBN and use "bulldog" for the promotion code. We give ours Nylabones and Kongs for their chew toys. Get the bigger size for them. Do not give Greenies or any eatable treat as they can be a chocking hazard, plus others have already told you about not giving rawhides, pig ears or anything like that. The harness, I would just wait on that until he gets a little bigger. The breeder should give you everything you need, like AKC papers and their vet records. This should get you started, and I know you will have more questions once you get your baby. Just remember to keep things picked up off the floor, because if it's on the floor, it's theirs. Plus to keep them from swallowing anything that can cause an obstruction. Plus they love power cords to chew on too, so try to hide them as well. I can't wait to see your new pup. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.