I am a bully and EBN newbie! :)

MommyOfCali

Jan 11, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cali
Hi all. My name is Deanna and I am the proud mommy of Cali, my 4 1/2 month old English Bulldog! My boyfriend and I have had Cali for 2 months now and we absolutely adore her! She is smart, loving, funny and perfect! (In our eyes at least) I am a worry wart and want what's best for my pup. Sometimes I ask too many people for advice and end up becoming even more of a neurotic mommy! I don't know if being on this site will worry me more but it's worth a shot!!!

First question-- is it normal when my baby sleeps that she breathes heavier and faster than normal? It has been this way since we got her, and she has been to vet several times for routine shots check ups etc. but I would love some advice (and hopefully reassurance!)
thanks all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 137

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome:to EBN. Bullies usually snore when they sleep, or at least are noisier than other breeds, when breathing in their sleep. I don't know of any reason why she should be breathing faster-unless she is too hot.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beauty!!

:welcome3: to EBN and the wonderful world of Bulldogs! Yes, the breathing and snoring is totally normal

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldogs breath heavier then any other breed, they have smaller air passages. I dont think you have anything to worry about. She's a beautiful bulldog. :welcome: to EBN!

OP
M

MommyOfCali

Jan 11, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cali
Okay.. Thank you very much for the reassurance! :) and thank you she is such a pretty baby!

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Ooooh I love her coloring! And just like the rest, bullies are noisy when they sleep loln

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, and welcome to you and Cali, so glad you joined EBN. You will love it on this site, there's tons of information and lots of great people to ask questions, share advice, and share their experiences. English Bulldogs are a breed of dog called Braphaphalic dogs, they include EB, boxers, pugs, French Bulldogs, and other dogs with flat faces. They have shorter noses and tracheas than other breeds so they breath heavier and snore, so it's normal for your EB to do this. Some dogs do have problems with their breathing, and sometimes require surgery of the nasal passages to allow them to breath better. This isn't always necessary, only in extreme cases, but you do have to watch these breeds more carefully when it comes to exercise, especially in hot weather, or extreme cold weather. EB don't tolerate extreme temperatures even a little hotter temperatures are not good for them, and many but not all EB don't tolerate long walks, usually 20 to 30 mins is enough for them. You want to watch out for overheating and panting.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh, Cali sure IS a beauty and she does indeed remind me of my boy Finn. Even down to the white chest! Welcome to EBN, Deanna and Cali!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
:welcome2: I'm a worrier too:eek: and sure sometimes things I read makes me stress, lol, but I've learned SO much from being on here so I'd say it has made me a warrior instead:tongue: Now I know what to stress about and what to leave alone, what to "do" and "not do" in certain situations, what questions to ask when at the vet and so much more. This site is the ultimate when looking for advice, reassurance and support, I hope you'll feel the same:)

Cali is precious:heart: I'm not sure about the breathing... mine would breath faster when they're warm... but as long as it doesn't sound like she's struggling I don't think you need to worry:) It might just be her "thing" since she checked out clear from the vet:)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Cali is adorable...

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Welcome here. Ace when he was younger would sometimes breathe rapidly when sleeping and it worried me, but he grew out of it. Now when he is sleeping his breathing is slow and rhythmic and sometimes the snoring is louder than at other times but compared to the rapid breathing it was a relief. Actually the snoring now helps me sleep. When he was younger and at times the breathing was irregular and the snoring uneven I would giggle the crate and he would change positions and the breathing would become normal

OP
M

MommyOfCali

Jan 11, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cali
Well you just made me feel 1038280x better! Thank you thank you! :no:

- - - Updated - - -

Finn and Cali look like twins! I hope she looks like him when she's older :yes:

Most Reactions