Soon To Be Owner/Extreme Weather

mr theo

Jan 7, 2014
Hello everyone. Im a soon to be owner of my very own English Bulldog! Before we pick him up at the end of Jan/early Feb, I have been trying to prepare myself as much as possible and this website has been very informative. Reading about everyone stories makes me look forward to the day I can finally take him home that much more. I will definitely have a lot of questions and need some advice as he grows, but every little bit from these forums are already very helpful.

Not too sure if there's already a post about handling the winter season, but I was wondering what would be best for my bulldog? Especially from where I'm from, our weather lately has been at some points -30°C to -40°C, even -51°C with the windchill! Lol it probably goes without saying I'm from Canada. For the first few months, the main focus being to potty train, will it be safe to take him out? Is a little vest or jacket enough to keep him warm? And he wouldn't understand to potty within the first minute we get outside just yet. I wouldnt complain if he did tho! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and we do have several people here that live in Canada that can help. I live I Texas so I'm not much help, but I do know that when it's that cold, it's not good to take a pup outside. Hopefully some will come here and give some suggestions.

rksuski

Jul 2, 2012
Madison, Wi
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Congratulations!!! We are from Wisconsin & know exactly what you are talking about...especially this past week ;). I would suggest a good daycare. We never thought we would never be one of 'those people' who take their dog to daycare but we are ;) and honestly they have been a godsend! Guinness goes once a week & it has been fabulous especially when it is unbearably cold. It is has been a savior in the summer when it is too hot for him to be outside for very long. We go to a place that has a very large indoor play area that is air conditioned. We also do a hoody for the winter...check out Canada pooch for great easy on & off hoodies. Welcome!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN! I am going to tag some of our Canadian members to hopefully help.... I am in Pennsylvannia and our girl really does not mind the cold, she goes out regardles of weather.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yes, weather's been crazy around here too! I would suggest getting a coat for him when he goes out. Until he gets all his shots, try to avoid places where a lot of dogs go, such as the dog parks. Although it's important for him to go on walks for exercise, I would avoid it if the weather is way too cold as they can get frost bite! Just play with him inside ... tug-of-wars are musts in our house.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online