Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello everyone,
My names Bryan, and I'm owner to my beautiful and loving girl, Bella! I'm a first time dog owner, and I know English bulldogs can be a changeling breed! I'm ready for the challenge though, and with much research in the months before receiving my pup, I truly received a gift two days before Christmas this year!!! We are at the stage of potty training, and at this point I hope to gain knowledge as to how to train her to go outside without the random spills time to time. I'm learning more about her everyday and with some help, I hope to gain some knowledge from you, the people here!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Welcome aboard!! Welcome to the world of bulldogs! You've come to the right place!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: Bryan and :welcome3: to EBN and the most WONDERFUL world of Bulldogs!

Challenging in more ways than you can count.... but even more loving and goofy!

Ask away on any question you have -- their will be a member with experience or at least soem guideance to help you along the way.

Glad you found us

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Welcome Bryan and Bella so glad you found us!!! You have come to the right place we are much like family here read the articles they are full of information and ask any questions because someone will be by to answer them!!!

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome:It sounds like you have gotten a wonderful Christmas gift!! Training will take lots of work on your part. You did not say how old the pup is, but taking them outside about every 20 min. when they are very young, and taking them out after playing, after eating -and have a puppy pad somewhere for "accidents"! Some take longer than others to "get it" but when they do-you will be thrilled!!!
Forgot to say that rewards work best with Bulldogs. When they do "go" outside, reward with a small treat each time, and tell them how good they were to potty OUTSIDE!

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:welcome:It sounds like you have gotten a wonderful Christmas gift!! Training will take lots of work on your part. You did not say how old the pup is, but taking them outside about every 20 min. when they are very young, and taking them out after playing, after eating -and have a puppy pad somewhere for "accidents"! Some take longer than others to "get it" but when they do-you will be thrilled!!!
Forgot to say that rewards work best with Bulldogs. When they do "go" outside, reward with a small treat each time, and tell them how good they were to potty OUTSIDE!

Excellent advice and welcome to EBN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Welcome!

Reward the good and ignore the bad is something that has always worked for me. We clicker trained both Vegas and Orion. It's the only way that I know how. Like suggested above...after every meal and nap for sure. Then when they start to wander with their nose to the ground, pick them up and run outside. With the clicker....it's important that the pup knows that it's clarifying a good deed that ends in reward. With Vegas....I would click as soon as he started peeing/pooping. As he finished...he would run to me for his treat. With Orion I had to wait until she was done peeing/pooping before I sounded the clicker. If she heard the clicker during, she would stop in favor of the treat.
It's important to ignore the bad. If an accident happens...I've heard people say they scold and rub their noses in it. You wouldn't do that to a child that was potty training...you just praise the heck out of them when they get it right. Same with a fur baby.

With the clicker....same with training. As soon as you get the desired result.....CLICK. With Vegas and his love of treats...and his love to please, it took 5 minutes for us to train him to put his nose in a corner. A little longer to roll over (bulldogs have a hard time with this one), dead dog, lay down, close the fridge, close the pantry, go to your kennel.....these were all easy tasks for him with the clicker.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site! Being persistent and consistent is the key. Take her out every 2 hours morning and night, right after eating, playing and napping and throw a party with lots of praise and love when she does her business outside.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online