Kathy Henry

Dec 10, 2013
Aurora, IL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Pugsley
Hello,
I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Kathy and I live in Aurora, IL which is just west of Chicago. I do not own a bulldog yet. I am still in the research phase of dog ownership. I am hoping to get one in the spring. I joined this forum to learn from owners as I do not personally know anyone with bulldogs. I do have a variety of exotic animals and I have found that online forums are the best way to learn quickly about all manner of health and behavioral questions. Thank you in advance for helping me. I recently wrote a blog post about my decision to get a dog after encountering a negative reaction from a family member. If you would like to read it I welcome any and all feedback.

http://puppyepiphany.wordpress.com/

-Kathy Henry

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: Kathy --- :welcome3: to EBN!! best of luck in your search, something to know and keep in mind with Bulldogs, they require a lot of attention and maintenance. They love humans more than other animals, not that they are mean to them, just rather be with their human. They have lots of health/care that needs to be done daily and food is a big contributor to whether or not they are in good health.

Look on the main forum page on the right side are lots of article on topics of interest.

And, BTW --- you are 100% correct, it is not the dog that is mean, it is usually the owner .

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Welcome Kathy!!! We are "neighbors", as I live in Geneva. I believe we also may have met at the Halloween Chicago english bulldog meetup? Good luck on your puppy search. This is a great forum for learning everything you need to know about bulldogs. Take care!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and we are here to help any way we can, so ask any questions you may have.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Welcome to EBN! Read the articles, check out breeders-go see their stock, talk to their vets, get a leather couch, tile floors, wear aprons, don't wear black-learn to kiss a dog on the lips,get used to a wet kitchen floor(from water bowl) ignore people when they say"oh, is that a pitbull?!" Then you will be prepared. AND most of all, when you go to pick out a puppy-your life will be no longer yours and you will be in LOVE and do anything for that baby!! THAT is what will make you an "official bullie fanatic!" You say that that will not happen to you? An English Bulldog is an addiction-not just a dog!! You will love being under their spell. Join the crowd here! We certainly will NOT talk you out of it!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
:welcome3:

So when you get your puppy....please tell me it's going to be female and you are going to name her Epiphany. It would be totally fitting!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Welcome to the forum -i read your blog post with an interest , all i can add is brace yourself. You are in for a hard ride-in my opinion (without trying to discourage) bulldogs are not the best breed for first time dog owner
They love cuddles kisses can be messy. Madydogs also gave you a great run down of a typical bully lol
Puppies do jump at people, i would say they are slower learners .
But they are rewarding ,most loveable dogs -im a cleaning freak and Lily is a challenge,im one of those people who when someone makes fuss of her and she jumps (stand up on two legs ) i apologise but things like this happen
They also require daily care -wrinkles, tail pockets and private parts as they cant reach to clean themselves
They remind me if humans-and can be really touchy and get upset at you lol
But im a born dog lover -i even love her wet chin that drips water for quite some time after she had her drink

Last edited:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. Good luck with your search as it took me several years to find the right match.

OP
K

Kathy Henry

Dec 10, 2013
Aurora, IL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Pugsley
Thank you for your input! I have been reading a lot about bulldogs and have learned about the daily cleaning and so forth. I think that once I get used to the routine, it won't seem like that much daily work.

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
Welcome to the site! There is an amazing amount of info and helpful members here.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.