Sir Diesel Bon Robbins and new bully parents in NC

k1ngEr0s

Nov 23, 2013
North Carolina
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Diesel Bon Robbins (Diesel)
I started off posting my concerns with a little backstory when I should've posted here first so I apologize for not introducing us. I myself am a new bully parent but not new to the bully breed. My first dog as a child was a bulldog. My father received him as a gift from one of his buddies in the military. His name was babbs and I loved him with all my heart. One day when I was around 4 years old I went running out of the door of our country home and babbs took off after me. To this day I do not understand why but instead of stopping to play with me babbs took off into the neighbors yard and that neighbor shot him for coming onto his property. Ever since then I've always wanted another bully. I vowed one day I would eventually own my own bully and protect him to the best of my ability. I started searching 7 years ago when I became financially stable enough to take on a rescue. I worked at the only kill shelter in town for three years as a kennel tech/caretaker. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and people would come to me when they found a stray dog, cat or animal for that matter. I did the best I could to get them into the no-kill shelter or find them a wonderful home and those that I couldn't get into the shelter since we were full most of the time, I helped out on the side. During my period there I rescued several english bulldogs and had planned to keep them initially but each one was older and had agression or health issues far beyond my means at that time. One in particular I was hoping would work out but he had been thrown into a plate glass window and needed major surgery that was over 2,000 dollars. A woman had called the shelter from Florida and was moving to North Carolina-that was involved in a domestic violence case and desperately needed help with this puppy but could not afford the surgery as well since she just left everything behind. I didn't have the heart to tell her we were full so I called a nearby English Bully rescue and told them the situation, in which they agreed to take the puppy.

So seven years later, here I am...moved into a new apartment and the first day my neighbor is outside walking her english bulldog. We started talking and I told her the story about babbs so she told me that her friend had a rescue and if I was interested in taking a bully on to let her know. She explained how high maintence they were and if I was serious that she would give the girl my number. A couple months later after I had given up on that phone call, the phone finally rang and the woman introduced herself. She explained to me that her friend owns a farm out in the middle of no where and people like to dump their animals there. Mostly purebreds of cattle dogs, danes, english bulldogs, etc. There had been a bully puppy dropped off that they were nursing and he had a stage 4 heart murmur. I immediately asked if I could meet him and rushed over there. I instantly fell in love and took him home. I named him Diesel because despite his murmer he acts like it doesn't exist. I have to calm him down because I get scared he will hurt himself. I have gone through a lot with him..I've worked 12 hour shifts on hardly any sleep while my partner and I nursed him back to health. He's battled a bad bladder infection, skin issues, yeast issues, ear infections, worms, and something else before he came to us because he had surgery incisions. (This is when I started questioning this woman's rescue because my vet found all these things wrong with Deez that she hadn't yet) The first 5 months were pretty hardcore but the last (almost) three have been annoyingly wonderful. He's like a person except he's super clingy and always up my butt. He sleeps in the bed with us and has to be right inbetween with his head on my shoulder. His seat is against my leg and his bed is my body. I try my best to give him the best of everything. He only gets treats and food from the organic pet store. His favorite treat is freeze dried buffalo bites. His favorite hobbies are cuddling, watching tv/games, and smelling flowers. He's very smart, protective, and sweet. He loves kids with a passion! He is an overflowing handfull but I love him to death and love that he follows me everywhere. Sometimes I wonder if he has mistaken himself to be a cat since he does cat-like things like laying on the arm of the couch or on your shoulder and sometimes even my face...

His heart murmur I wish I could afford to fix but we do not make enough money for him to have heart surgery. My vet got us quotes and it would cost between 3-4 grand altogether. About 800 just to have the test to see if it could be reversed and the rest was for the surgery (this had to be all in cash since it's at the vet school). I believe that was at a bit of a discount as well since she is a family friend and knows all that I've done for animals. I've been trying to conjur up ways to maybe raise the money such as gift basket raffles and vacation raffles. I was told he had a heart murmur initially but I did not know that it might be fixable..I was told by my vet that she believes its in an area that it could be reversed but I wouldn't know unless I had the ultrasound done which is the 800 dollar test. Getting him fixed and the tail surgery together is costing about 400 which to me I thought was pretty decent compared to the prices I've read. That is his first step but I am just worried about the sedation with his heart murmur and the healing process since he thinks he's a cross between superman and the energizer bunny....I could go on for hours but I think this is enough for an intro...nice to meet everyone!

Hello from the both of us!
Chris and Deez

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a fantastic introduction.... Deez is 100% bulldog, not cat there at all -- he described a Bully in every way! They are like velcro to their owner and love to sleep and cuddle.

We have members that can help with all the issue you mention. I will tag some of them to give you guidance or advice.

:welcome3: to EBN,..... so happy you found us

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Welcome to the site. Thank you for being a fantastic bully daddy.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Welcome to EBN! You will be happy you found it1 Everyone here will be so helpful, and will understand how much you love your dog. Most people in the "outside world" never will. I am glad I have found a place where it's not "crazy" to love your dog like your own children!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome and so happy you found us. Have you checked into, I think it's call CreditCare, to help with the cost on the surgery? Sounds like he is a typical young bully. Please keep us posted on how he is doing with his heart problem.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
:welcome4: to EBN, so glad you and Deez joined!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wonderful introduction, welcome to y'all :)

Will pray that GOD meets all Diesel's needs (and yours)~GOD bless

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Yes [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] it is called Care Credit and most vets take it we have it for Sheldon I have been thankful for that more than once. Welcome to EBN this is the best place to be everyone is so helpful I think its @kim and the guys that have the heart murmurs. Meanwhile I will be sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. So nice to make your acquaintance! Welcome to you Chris and Diesel.

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
Welcome to the site! That was an awesome introduction. Good for you and Deez that you found each other!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online